Highway 9 to Big Basin - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Highway 9 to Big Basin

Headed up to Big Basin via Highway 9 to camp overnight this weekend with a bunch of friends. Five of us rode.

Sitting in the garage ready to go, Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, and inflatable pillow are in the duffel bag which strapped to the pillion seat pretty easily with a couple heavy duty bungee cords. Clothes in the right pannier and food in the left one, top case had random stuff in it.

Made it to our campsite after about an hour of twisties... after that I don't remember much, but I woke up this morning very thirsty and with quite a headache!

Barbecued today and headed back down the hill.

We had me on the Versys, an R1100GS, an FZ6, a CBR1000, and a GS500F. Myself and the BMW guy were the only ones that carried all of our stuff with us.

I absolutely love the Trekker panniers, they work great and they look sharp as well. I didn't buy the Trekker top case because I wanted a smaller top case to leave on for daily use. I also like the fact that the pannier racks are quick release so I don't have to leave them on when I'm not using them. The idea behind this trip was to test my packing ideas and work out any bugs for some longer trips this summer, and get used to riding the bike loaded down. I'm happy to report that I really didn't notice much of a difference between the way it rode loaded vs. unloaded. Suspension upgrades are down the road sometime I'm sure, but it's definitely doable as it is now.

It was really hot yesterday, every time we got caught at a stoplight getting out of town we absolutely roasted in our gear, but once we got into the hills and the shade it was at least bearable. Today was much nicer.

Anyway... a really fun weekend and I'm looking forward to more more MORE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 AM

What rack are you using for the sidecases?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Very nice
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbark View Post
What rack are you using for the sidecases?
They're the Givi ones, I don't remember for sure what the part number is, but they have two different ones, one only works for the V35 cases and the other works for all the rest I believe.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the report, and evaluation of the trekkers. I just ordered the same bags for my new 2011, and plan on using my Givi V46 top case with them.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Thanks for the report, and evaluation of the trekkers. I just ordered the same bags for my new 2011, and plan on using my Givi V46 top case with them.

One person who reviewed them said that the hinge pins have a tendency to work their way out which means that the case could come open and you could lose all your stuff, so head that off right away. I took some black RTV and closed off the ends of the hinges with a little dab.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Aviator View Post
One person who reviewed them said that the hinge pins have a tendency to work their way out which means that the case could come open and you could lose all your stuff, so head that off right away. I took some black RTV and closed off the ends of the hinges with a little dab.
Thanks for the heads up!

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode