Anyone else keeping their bike baggage free? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wink Anyone else keeping their bike baggage free?

It seems like as soon as someone mentions their new Versys the first comments to be made are along the lines of what should be added onto it first. Personally I prefer the look of the bike as is and want to keep it minimal with no luggage, but it seems like I'm in the minority. I'll probably be adding handguards soon, and maybe a crash bar, but that's about it. For whatever reason something about the idea of top boxes and side racks just makes me feel really old. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Anyone else prefer the look of bikes without baggage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 PM

I think a lot of us use our bikes for more than they were intended for. They are great to blast around on back roads but just as good as a small adv tourer.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I guess I would consider touring on the Versys if it were better suited to two-up riding

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
I guess I would consider touring on the Versys if it were better suited to two-up riding
Oh now now you've done it! There are a million opinions on the two-up capabilities of the V. Let the games begin.... But seriously, for many of us, the bike is great for two-up, myself included. My wife is all of 100 lbs, so I barely even notice she is there.

But back to your original point, yeah, I think the bike looks better without luggage, but I love the trunk I have on mine. Adds a lot of versatility to an already versatile machine. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 PM

I love the looks of a naked bike but.......

Once I added my top case for the passenger back rest, I fell in love with the storage and carrying capacity it brought along with it. I had planned on taking it off when not riding with a passenger but leave it on all the time. Nice to have rain gear, tire pump, tire plugs, extra gloves, GPS, lens wipes (for glasses & helmet), Wet Ones, nabs, water, tools, camera, and still room for a few groceries or a small trip to the hardware store.

I am 40, old to some, young to others. I love the utility of the storage over the looks of a bare bike.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM

Well I'm an old guy but plan on doing as little farkling as I can get away with. Crash bars I think of as kind of a must. Oddly though, the last bike I dropped was about 40k miles and 3 bikes ago...

Bags are important if you tour. How much you tour and how often would really be the key. Like the OP, for me it's kind of minimal, so the Cortech tail bag and sport side bags is all I'm doing with this bike. Only a total of about 200 bucks for those.

Most of the time my bike will only have the tail bag on it, and a few other farkles, pretty minimalist.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I usally leave my E-55 TopCase on all the time. But just got in the house from cleaning my chain and taking the topcase off and attached my cortech tailbag on the givi rack.The reason being while my knee is healing its a pain to swing my leg over the bike with the topcase on.

IMG_0477 by weljo2001, on Flickr

006 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
It seems like as soon as someone mentions their new Versys the first comments to be made are along the lines of what should be added onto it first. Personally I prefer the look of the bike as is and want to keep it minimal with no luggage, but it seems like I'm in the minority. I'll probably be adding handguards soon, and maybe a crash bar, but that's about it. For whatever reason something about the idea of top boxes and side racks just makes me feel really old. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Anyone else prefer the look of bikes without baggage?
I agree a top box does nothing for the looks of the bike but if you use your bike for commuting you can't beat the versatility of a lockable top box or side bags. Handy place to put laptop, groceries, helmet, gloves, etc.. A tank bag is really handy too and removable but a good one that fits the bike will run $200 with mounting hardware.

I would recommend crash bars before handle bar shields. Crash bars will pay for themselves the first time you drop the bike. Shields on the other hand cost a lot more than replacement levers and don't really keep your hands warm. I have both.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
After 10+ years on my wing, it took me a few days to quit looking for the front of the bike. I got the hard paniers initially to get my wife to quit asking where the back of the bike was (just lucky it's not a single sided swing arm), but now I really like having a place for my stuff.
So get off my lawn
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 PM

Across this week I've had to carry gym gear, changes of clothes for nights out, boxing gloves and focus pads, and climbing gear. I'd much rather pack these items in a top box than deal with a big back pack - or use the car.

The top box ads comfort and convenience over looks, and as the V is largely a practical choice of bike, it is not surprising that most/many riders on the forum have added luggage.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 PM

Gotta mod it all out to do rallies and the kind of travel I do. Factory bikes have nothing on them because it keeps the bike cheap. Modify to suit your use. If you putt around town ten or twenty miles at a time a factory bike is fine. For me, no way.

IBA # 49372
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 AM

I'm the same way and I "thought" that I had found the best solution to this with Givi E35 side bags and the SW-Motech Quick-Lok side carriers. Keep the bags on during the week for work, then on the weekends pop off the bags, loosen a few fasteners to remove the side carriers, and I'm back to the stock bike.

That was the theory, and the side carriers really are nice and do work well. But in practice, I so value the convenience of being able to carry an extra jacket or raingear, or pick up a six-pack on the way home, that they never come off except for maintenance.

Especially since I hate wearing a a backpack on my bike.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:20 AM

Garage
The cleaner and clutter free the better the Versys looks IMHO. After stripping off the stock mirrors and flipping the windscreen lower, it looks even better with a low front profile. Then I have this ugly ass Givi box way high and back off the tail of the bike. Even just the bare rack is visually too much. However, like many have already said, unless you are just tooting around town and playing on back roads on Sunday afternoons, you need some cargo space. I use the bike for commuting, errands, short trips, and that top box is a must. The saving grace is: I can't see it when I'm on the bike!

Always trust your cape.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:24 AM

I am on the other side of 60 myself, and all I have it the Cortech tail bag. It's fine for me, but I don't go out touring either. If I did, I certainly would be looking for more storage. But some of the stuff I have seen out there looks more like it belongs on a Tiger tank from WWII.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM

No bags, no passenger hand grips, no passengers, just a custom solo high seat (from Rich in Seattle). Just a bike to blast through the twisties 3 miles away. An hour each week and I'm good.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I usally leave my E-55 TopCase on all the time. But just got in the house from cleaning my chain and taking the topcase off and attached my cortech tailbag on the givi rack.The reason being while my knee is healing its a pain to swing my leg over the bike with the topcase on.

IMG_0477 by weljo2001, on Flickr

006 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Wow! Spectacular backdrop in the lower photo. For that matter, so is the background in the upper photo. You must be a professional photographer or videographer, yes, no?

If not, you're a very talented hobbiest. Well done.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Wow! Spectacular backdrop in the lower photo. For that matter, so is the background in the upper photo. You must be a professional photographer or videographer, yes, no?

If not, you're a very talented hobbiest. Well done.

Nope wish i was. Use to manage a photography studio in ft.worth. But i had nothing to do with the photography aspect. I'm just a point and shoot kind of guy.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:38 PM

I never add much of anything to my bikes other than a small tail bag that sits on the passenger seat. My friends always ask me why I don't get a top box they for the most part have them on there bikes, and I don't want to offend anyone to each there own but top boxes on small bikes remind me of an airplane with a radar dome on top.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 PM

For some of you this is a casual sportbike! For me, its a pickup that loves the canyons. With the Caribou Cases (mine is the poster bike for the Versys mounts) I have not only rectangular storage space, but a platform to tie an oil rig on top of the bags and rear seat! And I have; from boards, guns, boxes and on and on, all at @50 mpg. The bags come off quickly, but why would you remove the bed of a pickup if you were going for a canyon jaunt?? Your use may vary, but at 28k and rolling, I love the looks of my little red pickup; its convenient, economical, and exciting.

I do have an SUV and a Conversion Van, but what's the fun in that? They sit a lot about 9 months of the year.

Krazo - ride every day there's traction!
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The Versys makes a good pack mule.

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode