Distance Question On Blue Ridge Parkway - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mchieffallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Distance Question On Blue Ridge Parkway

Brother-in-law and I are planning late June trip on the BRP. Our first. We'll be camping at privately owned campgrounds. Based upon posted speed limits, riding breaks and sights to see, I figure about 150 miles a day is a good distance. We're not concerned with reaching the end of the parkway on this trip. We'll make it to MP 317. We'll have next year to travel to the end, then hit the Tail of the Dragon!

Anyone who has made such a trip have any comments about the 150 miles a day? Too little, to much or just right? Any other suggestions/hints are greatly appreciated.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
mchieffallo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Member
 
CharlestonADV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
150 miles is a very conservative objective if you plan to ride for more than 4 hours in a day. While I'd never encourage anyone to exceed the speed limit...some riders have been know to average around 45 to 50 mph.

For camping...check out the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in the Cruso, NC area and the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge close to Deals Gap and the Cherohala Skyway.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
CharlestonADV is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Member
 
ROCKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would think 300 miles per day would be no problem. Once you get on the BRP, you just want to keep going and going. It's beautiful scenery.
ROCKER is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
The southern end of the parkway is definitely the most scenic, hilly, and curvy. Back in '07 I road from the southern end to mile 0 and back in 3 1/2 days. That was in August so we had a lot of daylight and we did stop at a lot of overlooks.

In '09 some buds and I attempted to ride it again and we were only averaging 30 MPH because of fog and rain. We abanoned the ride and found someplace where the sun was shining.

Have fun.
twowheeladdict is online now  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Member
 
BAMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver co
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just this last summer I rode from Roanoke back to Philly in one day, bout 450 miles.

Here is the link for the report and the route http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=16967

I really like the Mountain View Inn, and there is a campground called Otter Creek Recreation Campground not far from there that is motorcycle friendly and is only $10 per site.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BAMF is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Member
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: western Massachusetts
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Agree that 150 a day is conservative mileage and that the southern part of the BRP offers the best riding both for views and curves. The thing you'll deal with in June on the BRP is RV's and precious few places to get around them. April is a great time on the Parkway...little traffic.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
Bones is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Member
 
BAMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver co
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
We are riding the BRP on march 23-25 Here is the link.....http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18114

We are riding around bear mountian in NY, around april 13-15. Here is the link
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18113

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BAMF is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Member
 
potus2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorthWest Arkansas
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchieffallo View Post
Brother-in-law and I are planning late June trip on the BRP. Our first. We'll be camping at privately owned campgrounds. Based upon posted speed limits, riding breaks and sights to see, I figure about 150 miles a day is a good distance. We're not concerned with reaching the end of the parkway on this trip. We'll make it to MP 317. We'll have next year to travel to the end, then hit the Tail of the Dragon!
Anyone who has made such a trip have any comments about the 150 miles a day? Too little, to much or just right? Any other suggestions/hints are greatly appreciated.
150 miles a day is VERY conservative. Unless you have plans on long sightseeing detours, you could cover the entire BRP in 2 days and still have time for sightseeing. My wife and I rode it and Skyline Drive a few years ago. (Check the blog in my signature link, start on day 38) We saw no enforcement of the unreasonably low speed limit, and there was almost no traffic that summer. (Gas was outrageously high that year, may get that bad this year too.) Abundant wildlife was the only real threat so I'd recommend being off the road before deer o'clock and temper you enthusiasm in the blind curves. Take care in the tunnels as well, I found them to be blindingly dark. If you have the time at all, you don't want to miss the dragon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
We are riding the BRP on march 23-25 Here is the link.....http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18114

We are riding around bear mountian in NY, around april 13-15. Here is the link
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18113
I was born near Bear Mountain. The place is a lot more crowded now than it was 4 decades ago. Still beautiful. I think I'd have tried to make that trip in autumn though, the Hudson Valley is amazing when the maple leaves start changing colors.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by potus2012; 02-21-2012 at 12:27 AM.
potus2012 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
mchieffallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Many thanks for all replies . Very informative.

I get the feeling that depending on weather, traffic and sightseeing desire, more than 150 miles per day is very attainable. The good thing is that when I've called various campgrounds for reservations, they've all replied that reservations for tent camping are not needed (weekday/time of the year). Although it makes me a bit nervous NOT having reservations, I guess we could simply travel as far as we like, then look for a place to camp. More of a "seat-of-the-pants" adventure.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
mchieffallo is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Member
 
CharlestonADV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A note of caution to folks who are unfamiliar with the Blue Ridge in early spring. On sunny days with clear road conditions...there can still be ice and deicing grit in the curves. There are places that get very little sun to melt the snow/ice and they can surprise a rider who thinks the curve they are entering is as clear as the rest of the road.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
CharlestonADV is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Member
 
MntVersys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The Parkway is 45 mph, with some areas dropping down to 25 mph where it's more congested. Pair that with RVs going 30 to 40 mph (and very few pull-offs) and your sightseeing...150 to 200 miles might be all you CAN do. And that 45 mph is kind of strict - I've know roadies (bicycles) to get tickets for speeding!

And watch the speed in Virginia when you get off the Parkway. Law enforcement has doubled the speeding fines over the past 3 or 4 years. And, if you get pulled over, you WILL get ticketed...Period!

I hate to use the "D" word, but........DEER! There, I said it! Motorcyclist Evil-Doers With Twin-Mounted Cranial Weapons Of Mass Destruction!!! Beware!

Oh yeah. FOG. Can hit anywhere. The Parkway can still be chilly, windy and socked-in in mid June up in the higher areas.

Just be careful, watch your environment and have fun. Heck, I just might run into you - my brother and I will be all around western North Carolina in late June for our annual bike vacation trip!

~ Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MntVersys is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Member
 
CharlestonADV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MntVersys View Post
I hate to use the "D" word, but........DEER! There, I said it! Motorcyclist Evil-Doers With Twin-Mounted Cranial Weapons Of Mass Destruction!!! Beware!

Oh yeah. FOG. Can hit anywhere. The Parkway can still be chilly, windy and socked-in in mid June up in the higher areas.
+1...Good safety tip. Deer and fog can be a real issue on both the Blue Ridge Pkwy and the Skyline Drive.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
CharlestonADV is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,441
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MntVersys View Post
The Parkway is 45 mph, with some areas dropping down to 25 mph where it's more congested. Pair that with RVs going 30 to 40 mph (and very few pull-offs) and your sightseeing...150 to 200 miles might be all you CAN do. And that 45 mph is kind of strict - I've know roadies (bicycles) to get tickets for speeding!

And watch the speed in Virginia when you get off the Parkway. Law enforcement has doubled the speeding fines over the past 3 or 4 years. And, if you get pulled over, you WILL get ticketed...Period!

I hate to use the "D" word, but........DEER! There, I said it! Motorcyclist Evil-Doers With Twin-Mounted Cranial Weapons Of Mass Destruction!!! Beware!

Oh yeah. FOG. Can hit anywhere. The Parkway can still be chilly, windy and socked-in in mid June up in the higher areas.

Just be careful, watch your environment and have fun. Heck, I just might run into you - my brother and I will be all around western North Carolina in late June for our annual bike vacation trip!

~ Wes
During the weekdays of August we saw very little traffic and were able to run quite a bit faster than 45 at certain sections without seeing a sole
twowheeladdict is online now  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Member
 
killerkeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cambridge Ontario
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm planning a 3 day return trip from Deals Gap to Buffalo Via the BRP at the end of May and this thread has been helpful. Keep the info coming. Is there any "Must Stop" locations you can google map for us?

Thanks

Keith

Honda CBR125R Sold
Kawasaki Ninja 650R Sold
Yamaha Zuma 50 Sold
Kawasaki Ninja250R Sold
Kawasaki Versys Current Bike
killerkeith is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Member
 
spklbuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southeast WV
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
I'm planning a 3 day return trip from Deals Gap to Buffalo Via the BRP at the end of May and this thread has been helpful. Keep the info coming. Is there any "Must Stop" locations you can google map for us?

Thanks

Keith
Well worth your time...Craggy Gardens and of course Mt. Mitchell



One road hazard not mentioned is rubbernecking! Soo much to see, sometimes it hard to focus on the road. I like an extra day when riding the BRP so I can stop and smell the roses on top of roses.

All y'all ride safe.

Montani Semper Liberi
spklbuk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome