What Bike after Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What Bike after Versys

The Versys is a nice bike, but it's not
The Be all to End all.

What bike would you be willing to replace you're Versys with?

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:19 PM

post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
The Versys is a nice bike, but it's not
The Be all to End all.

I'm thinkin your question should be "what bike would I be willing to replace it with"

The "I" in this case would be "you".

Sounds like you are not happy with it, so carry on, say why, what you'd prefer, what should be different (for you) etc etc.

For my needs, The V is working out great. Could tell you some funny things I did today that I wouldn't have dared try on my FJR, but that would be boring to some to explain that.

Diff bikes fill diff niches. Nothing wrong with that at all. gotta go with what your needs are...

enjoy!

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
The Versys is a nice bike, but it's not The Be all to End all.
Bite your tongue!

Quote:
At this point in my life, it is my fourth bike and the Versys fits me and my riding style perfectly. I do not want a heavier or bigger bike. I am past the cruiser "fit in with my buddies" thing so the options are very few. I was just in my local cycle shop yesterday and bikes these days are HUGE! They either lay me down on my belly to ride, the floor or controls become unreachable, or they are so heavy I don't want to even consider them. The USA mentality is all about "bigger is better" or they must go 150+MPH off the showroom floor.

I have slacked off from my weekend journeys and all day rides. Most of my rides are local these days. I would even consider a smaller machine. So to answer your question, I would consider something similar or smaller. Truth be known, I have been toying with picking up a 1/4 liter bike to add to my stable to see how much I like it.

BTW, OP what would you replace the Versys with? What direction are you heading?
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

main-troll by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:29 PM

I went from a Harley to a Goldwing to a Versys to a Harley with a sidecar and am now getting to get ready to get back on a Versys.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:30 PM

I'm a habitual demo bike tester. In the past two years, the main ones I tried were the Triumph Tiger 1050, KTM 990 Adventure, Tiger 800XC, Versys, Super Ten 1200, Ducati MultiStrada and KTM 990SMT. The one I had the most fun on was the KTM SMT, but it is an absolute hooligan tool and I know I don't have the self restraint to keep either the front wheel or speed down and I just know I'd end up with points on my license or worse, lose it altogether. I also loved the Tiger 800XC, but when it came down to putting my money down, I chose the Versys for it's all round, errrr, versatility. I'd still like to try the BMW 800GS (I did have an 800ST for a day and thought it too was a nice bike) and I do know that whatever I get next will have to be an adventure type bike for the upright riding position. I don't think I'll ever buy a 'big' bike again, (although I've got a demo booked on the new Triumph Explorer ) as I think that 800cc bikes are now more than enough for my needs these days.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Garage
The only bike I would even consider being a potential replacement for the Versys would be the Tiger 800 XC because it would replace the Versys and the KLR 650. I have owned many bikes and currently own 6. There really is no bike out there that is as fun to ride as the Versys.

Unlike Captain Kirk, I don't ride any bike to impress other people, but I do ride cruisers because I like the way they ride. It is nice having a bike you can enjoy riding without going fast. If I was about impressing others I would have a HD CVO, a Ducati sport bike, a BMW GS, etc.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

And on a Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I really want the new Versys 1000 "But" the only thing that might stop me from getting one is i want a Shaft Drive.
Quote:
I'm with you on the exhaust. When i take my bike in for work here in Cali the shop has a dyno and they work on alot of race / high performance machines. If i get the V1000 i'll be addressing the pipe issue first off.
Quote:

main-troll by weljo2001, on Flickr
And

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 02-03-2012 at 06:14 PM.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM

I'd consider replacing the V with a Triumph Tiger 800 or maybe the 1200 Explorer. I'd have to see that one first...might be too tall. No plans to do so.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
And on a Different Day

And

Not replacing my Versys just adding a stable mate..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-03-2012 at 06:32 PM.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
And on a Different Day

And

Like i've told you in the past. I'm just a short ride away if you'd like to discuss anything in person.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Well at 67 now I've owned about every kind of bike from cruiser (temp insanity) to touring, sport, sport touring, dirt, etc. and I've about settled on the Versys as my long term bike. I've owned one since it came out in 2008 and can't think of anything I'd replace it with.

I've got it torn down now to replace the plugs and that's the only thing I don't like about the bike is how much you have to take off just to get to them. Then again, that's nothing compared to my ST1300!

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Talk all the crap you want. But i believe this is funnier...BTW which one is your wife.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have owned many bikes and currently own 6.

Unlike Captain Kirk, I don't ride any bike to impress other people...
that on this forum you quite often feel the need to tell everyone how many bikes you own. Who is trying to impress who?
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
I do know that whatever I get next will have to be an adventure type bike for the upright riding position. I don't think I'll ever buy a 'big' bike again,
Agreed. The upright riding position on a sporty'er bike is what sold me on the Versys. No more big bikes for me either.
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
that on this forum you quite often feel the need to tell everyone how many bikes you own. Who is trying to impress who?
Not doing it to impress. Just to show my addiction to two wheels. I am amazed though how much hatred of other bikes there is on this forum. Just wondering why that is. And how persons who have only owned a couple bikes in their lives think they are such experts.
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Not doing it to impress. Just to show my addiction to two wheels. I am amazed though how much hatred of other bikes there is on this forum. Just wondering why that is. And how persons who have only owned a couple bikes in their lives think they are such experts.
Forgive my ignorance here, but I am wondering how you managed to form your opinion about Capn. I have been around this forum for a while, and have never heard anything out of Capn to justify the attack is seems you launched his way.
post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I've got it torn down now to replace the plugs and that's the only thing I don't like about the bike is how much you have to take off just to get to them. Then again, that's nothing compared to my ST1300!
Tupperware removal is a PITA on an ST, for sure, but plugs are about the easiest maintenance chore. Pop off the inspection cover, lift off the HONDA plastic on the valve cover and there they are. The OEM plug wrench that came with my '03 is the tool for the job...worth ordering one if your ST came with the "Allen wrench only" tool kit.

EDIT: Looks like you have to order the complete OEM toolkit offered with the first model year ST1300 to get that very handy wrench. TOOL SET part number 89010-MCS-G00 LINKY

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 02-03-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Add part number
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Capn Kirk & twowheeladdict Both good guys in my book and always enjoy your posts. I surprised to see you two at each other. Maybe its just been a bad day or cabin fever has set in.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-03-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in