Angeles Crest Hwy Ride 1/7/2012 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Angeles Crest Hwy Ride 1/7/2012

Heading out for my first group ride since my accident. Anyone in the area that wants to go. Lets Do It.

Saturday, January 7, 2012, 9:00 AM

SELECTED BY: MAVERICK
Starbucks
18523 Brookhurst Street, Fountain Valley, CA (map)

Starbucks - Fountain Valley, California (KSU 9:30 am)
SELECTED BY: MAVERICK
Angeles Crest Highway (ACH)

A ride on the Angeles Crest Highway (~195 miles) with lunch at Newcomb’s Ranch Restaurant. This is another hangout of Jay Leno's as well!
Approximate Route:

Meet at Starbucks in Fountain Valley, CA - KSU 9:30 AM.

405 North to 605 North
605 North to I-5 North
I-5 North to 2 East (but going north)
Stop at the Shell Station before the road becomes all twisties!
Stop for lunch at Newcomb’s Ranch Restaurant
Continue down ACH with a short stop in Wrightwood.
Shortly after Wrightwood, freeways all the way home - I-15, 91, 55; split off as needed.

See Map for the Angeles Crest Highway Ride....http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...01,0.83944&t=m

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Great Ride Today. Had Road Closures After Lunch But All Was Good.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Seems like it was a good ride with an interesting group of bikes. Nice weather too from the look of it. But a hugh bacon cheeseburger with onion rings?? That was probably the most dangerous part of the entire ride.

BTW, were any of the folks pictured you? it's nice to be able to put a face to a name.

Hope you're feeling OK since the accident - good enough to ride obviously.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Seems like it was a good ride with an interesting group of bikes. Nice weather too from the look of it. But a hugh bacon cheeseburger with onion rings?? That was probably the most dangerous part of the entire ride.

BTW, were any of the folks pictured you? it's nice to be able to put a face to a name.

Hope you're feeling OK since the accident - good enough to ride obviously.

What i like about this group is it has harleys,cruisers,you name it its there. A few women riders as well and ladys that want to come on as passengers.Everyones there for the ride not what your riding. Didn't get to make a video this time out.Will have new camera tuesday. BTW It was a really good burger. Heres a couple of photos with me in them from today.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
BTW It was a really good burger. Heres a couple of photos with me in them from today.
Thanks, it's nice to have a face to put against a member's name. And I believe it's a civilized man who holds his menu rather than plopping it on the table and staring down at it.

New camera? One that mounts to one's helmet perhaps?

Arion

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, it's nice to have a face to put against a member's name. And I believe it's a civilized man who holds his menu rather than plopping it on the table and staring down at it.

New camera? One that mounts to one's helmet perhaps?
Never noticed but i've always held out my menu even more so now when i forget my glasses.

Exact same camera Drift HD170. You can mount it to the helmet but i don't care for the helmet mounted footage too much head movement normally

IMG_0176 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0175 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-08-2012 at 04:38 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Never noticed but i've always held out my menu even more so now when i forget my glasses.

Exact same camera Drift HD170. You can mount it to the helmet but i don't care for the helmet mounted footage too much head movement normally

IMG_0176 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0175 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Nice set-up. How difficult was it to mount?

I wonder how many people might mistake it for Forward Looking Intrared or a Klingon disruptor?? Wouldn't you love to actually have a disruptor - to deal with those pesky cages and not have to worry about residue.

Arion

Last edited by Arion; 01-08-2012 at 11:05 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Nice set-up. How difficult was it to mount?

I wonder how many people might mistake it for Forward Looking Intrared or a Klingon disruptor?? Wouldn't you love to actually have a disruptor - to deal with those pesky cages and not have to worry about residue.
Very simple set-up. Heres what you need. The cameras on sale for $159 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Drift-Innovation-Stealth-Recording-1-5-Inch/dp/B004L5AF4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326085981&sr=8-1
You can get a extended battery for longer rides or opt for the next 2 items to plug up to a cigarette lighter plug. I have both options

http://www.amazon.com/Drift-DBOOT-Rear-Silicon-Cover/dp/B004IYZFSG/ref=pd_cp_p_4

http://www.amazon.com/Drift-HD170-Original-Charger-Charging/dp/B004OUQHX6/ref=pd_sim_e_11 ( This item thats shown on Amazons web-site is not what was sent. So if you want to order make sure to verify the product before ordering ) or order from here......

http://www.launchhelmetcams.com/acce...on-car-charger

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-uti...inch-ball.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-cam...m-b-202au.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-sho...-b-201u-a.html

IMG_0178 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-11-2012 at 11:51 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well look who is out and riding!!! Good to see.

Tried to view video and youtubie suggested I try later...?...so I will.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spklbuk View Post
Well look who is out and riding!!! Good to see.

Tried to view video and youtubie suggested I try later...?...so I will.

Thanks. Felt good getting out. Had some aches and pains but it was all good.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Joseph - you're not worried that hitting a pothole might run your front fender into the camera?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Joseph - you're not worried that hitting a pothole might run your front fender into the camera?

Nope i've taken it out and compressed the forks as much as i could. Hit big holes & Recently hitting a BMW and its still good to go.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Made changes to list need for camera set-up. The car charger power cord from Amazon i recieved was not what was listed in the photo and won't work for powering while riding. Listed a vendor to get correct part.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode