Riding with Cruisers - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Riding with Cruisers

Yesterday I met up with a local group for a long ride from the Dallas area through east Texas. They were mostly cruiser people, with some random Gold Wings, etc.

It was a fun ride, though not as many curvy roads as I would like. Still, a good time with good people.

Anyway, I mostly wanted to talk about how the Versys works so well in so many conditions.

We did quite a bit of highway riding. I recently removed my Barkbusters and replaced the Barkbuster bar end weights on my Tag Metals T2 bars with the stock bar end weights, still using the Barkbuster internal bolts (whatever they're called). I think that combination has made my Versys much more friendly to my right wrist, which seems to always be my first pain point. It still had some twinges, but it was much better.

I've not been able to get my highway pegs to work, and they would have been nice on a few stretches of road. All the cruisers had nice highway pegs, so I was a bit jealous at times there.

Anyway, the Versys just seems very happy cruising down the highway at 65, 70, 75, 80, whatever. It does them all well without a complaint.

We also did a little bit of curvy road riding. I noticed that I was able to stay in my half of the lane (we were doing the staggered formation thing), and, even right on my exact path, no matter if I was on the inside or outside. The cruisers did fine on the outside, but couldn't (or didn't) hold a inside line. Maybe it was the riders. But just something I noticed.

The final thing I noticed throughout the day is just how much power the Versys has. I'm not the most experienced rider, but when I give the bike some throttle at 70mph, it just takes off. At least when I'm not loaded with luggage it feels this way. It feels like a sports car. And that's something I do know a bit about, having had a couple of those (including my current Porsche).

I still plan to part with my Versys this fall/winter, whenever I can decide on a new motorcycle. But it's not like I'm displeased with the Versys. It has been a great bike. I've been able to make it into something that suits me very well, with a comfortable seat, fair wind protection, GPS, power outlet, etc. I imagine that whatever I get will have some shortcomings that will remind me of the versatility of the V.

Summary: great bike.

Special bike: 1968 Norton P11A
Previous bike: 2009 Versys in lovely blue
Bike for smiles: 2009 R1200R
Bike for miles: 2009 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
fyi....the "V's" butter smooth at 120mph too.,,,

Good luck with your future ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and thanks for sharing your ride.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode