Alpine Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alpine Versys

My blue Versys lives across the pond now. In July and August I rode it from Heidelberg to near London via northern Italy, and my wife joined me for part of the trip. Along some of the high passes in the Alps there are photographers stationed taking photos of cyclists and motorcyclists that you can buy through their websites. Here are a few of us on the V enjoying the alpine roads.

Kurt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 PM
rlj

makes my trip to the NC mountains this week look a little Ho-Hum! What a scenic place to ride.

Last edited by rlj; 09-17-2011 at 09:44 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
makes my trip to the NC mountains this week look a little Ho-Hum! What a scenic place top ride.
Any ride that puts you on twisty roads is by definition not 'ho-hum'. I'll bet your ride was great! I love riding the local mountains here too, but I have to admit that I've got a bad case of Alp-itis.

Kurt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Great pic's, would love to be able to base a bike in a different part of the world, Fastoman maybe I should invest in a bike and leave it at your house in Malaysia as I am coming back.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You are most WELCOMED to visit us any time. The boys will be glad to have you here. We will consider your bike here when the time comes. No worries.

BTW_ Flying HUN. The pictures are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 09:47 AM
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_Hun View Post
Any ride that puts you on twisty roads is by definition not 'ho-hum'. I'll bet your ride was great! I love riding the local mountains here too, but I have to admit that I've got a bad case of Alp-itis.
My mountain ride was great but the Alps are on a different level.

Just curious, what is the elevation there?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
VERY GOOD head position in picture 3!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
MJust curious, what is the elevation there?
I think the first two were a bit over 8K feet, and the third was over 7K. Just going from memory of where the photographers were relative to the summit. The first two were on the Col du Galibier on different sides of the summit, and the third was on the Col d'Izoard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
VERY GOOD head position in picture 3!
Thank you! Gotta look for that exit!

Kurt

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

I had a Contour camera on a ram mount near the left handgrip that I used to capture some video. Nothing fancy. No music. No editing. Just some onboard footage.

Kurt

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
Along some of the high passes in the Alps there are photographers stationed taking photos of cyclists and motorcyclists that you can buy through their websites. Here are a few of us on the V enjoying the alpine roads.
They are stationned at Col du Galibier, Col d'Izoard and all along the 21 corners of Alpe d'Huez.

They do very nice pictures and here is another example during a 3-day trip with a friend:

About the elevation:
- Col du Galibier 2645m
- Col d'Izoard 2360m

The highest paved road in France is the road called "Route de la Cîme de la Bonnette" and it peakes at 2802m (near Barcelonnette, 04/06 border).
The second one is Col de l'Iseran 2770m (near Bourg-Saint-Maurice, 73), and the third one is Col Agnel (French/Italian border, 05) at 2744m.

All of this is not so far from my home (max. 300km far), and everytime I go there, there's somthing magical. Hope that all these moutains will open again soon! (but not before 6 months I guess...)

"Un intellectuel assis va toujours moins loin qu'un con qui marche" (Michel Audiard)

: 15/09/09 : 9948km - 02/04/12 : 71283 + 53km

Last edited by banditmaniak600; 12-07-2011 at 03:37 AM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 AM

You live in the SF Bay Area and have a bike in Europe. Sounds like you're really living the life - well done!

CJ
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I had a Contour camera on a ram mount near the left handgrip that I used to capture some video. Nothing fancy. No music. No editing. Just some onboard footage.
Nice vids!

I love the Défilé de Maupas. It is third on my list of greatest roads in the French Alps. My top 3:
1. Col de Sarenne (which I have heard will be widened and repaved next year for the Tour )
2. Cormet de Roselend
3. Défilé de Maupas
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 03:08 PM

Beautiful pics .

Questions for flying hun and banditmaniak600 -- what kind of tank bag are you using? How do you mount the bag? Easy to use?

Thanks

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditmaniak600 View Post

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchieffallo View Post
Beautiful pics .

Questions for flying hun and banditmaniak600 -- what kind of tank bag are you using? How do you mount the bag? Easy to use?

Thanks
Thanks for the greetings about the pic

Mine is a Bagster Discover.
The bag is mounted thanks to magnets on the fuel tank. With my huge windscreen, no fear about the bag up to... forbidden speeds
You just have to pay attention of not having gravels down the bag in order not to scratch the tank paint.

It's kinda pretty to use, but I'll sell mine soon. I'm looking for a smaller bag because of GPS support.

@duibhcek : I do agree with you about your top 3, even if Cormet de Roselend would be 1st ;-) I've just discovered this year Le Défilé de Maupas... no words can be enough to say how beautiful it is.

"Un intellectuel assis va toujours moins loin qu'un con qui marche" (Michel Audiard)

Last edited by banditmaniak600; 12-07-2011 at 11:50 PM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
They are stationned at Col du Galibier, Col d'Izoard and all along the 21 corners of Alpe d'Huez.

They do very nice pictures and here is another example during a 3-day trip with a friend:

About the elevation:
- Col du Galibier 2645m
- Col d'Izoard 2360m

The highest paved road in France is the road called "Route de la Cîme de la Bonnette" and it peakes at 2802m (near Barcelonnette, 04/06 border).
The second one is Col de l'Iseran 2770m (near Bourg-Saint-Maurice, 73), and the third one is Col Agnel (French/Italian border, 05) at 2744m.

All of this is not so far from my home (max. 300km far), and everytime I go there, there's somthing magical. Hope that all these moutains will open again soon! (but not before 6 months I guess...)
Was that photo taken on the Col d'Izoard? That has been one of my favorites since the first time I rode it.

BTW, I will be back there next summer.

The ride I did this year was a fundraiser for a cancer charity, and the goal was to ride the ten highest paved passes in the Alps, plus as many additional passes as I could cross in seven days of riding, so we covered the three you mention above, plus a few more. I crossed 38 different passes in seven days. Not quite my goal, but not too bad considering that the weather was poor when we were there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duibhcek View Post
Nice vids!

I love the Défilé de Maupas. It is third on my list of greatest roads in the French Alps. My top 3:
1. Col de Sarenne (which I have heard will be widened and repaved next year for the Tour )
2. Cormet de Roselend
3. Défilé de Maupas
The Col de la Sarenne has become one of my very favorites, and I am disappointed to hear that it will be widened. I love it as it is. Here is some video of it, including one in which I frightened myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchieffallo View Post
Beautiful pics .

Thanks
I'm struggling to remember what it is right now. It's one I've had a while and move from bike to bike. Like Banditmaniak's, it's a magnetic bag. I'm thinking about replacing it with an Ortlieb bag because those are full-on waterproof, while the one I have requires a cover to keep the rain out.

Kurt

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Was that photo taken on the Col d'Izoard? That has been one of my favorites since the first time I rode it.

Indeed, it's Col d'Izoard. The pavement is pretty good and what attracted my attention is the dramatic change of landscapes when you climb it from Briançon. Mostly forests at the beginning and soon after, almost lunar.

Quote:
BTW, I will be back there next summer.

I would be pleased if I meet you there

Quote:
The ride I did this year was a fundraiser for a cancer charity, and the goal was to ride the ten highest paved passes in the Alps, plus as many additional passes as I could cross in seven days of riding, so we covered the three you mention above, plus a few more. I crossed 38 different passes in seven days. Not quite my goal, but not too bad considering that the weather was poor when we were there.

Indeed, we had a poor weather in July and also the first 15 days of August.
From February to the first weekend of July, we had never experienced rain or storms during weekends!

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Indeed, it's Col d'Izoard. The pavement is pretty good and what attracted my attention is the dramatic change of landscapes when you climb it from Briançon. Mostly forests at the beginning and soon after, almost lunar.
The first time I rode it was on my first visit to the Alps. We rode up from the Queryas side, and I kept looking up and thinking to myself, "Where does this pass go through? There are just peaks up there!"

Quote:
I would be pleased if I meet you there
That would be great! Dates are not firm yet, but right now it appears that we will visit the week after the TdF comes through the Alps - the third week in July. I will update when the date is set for certain.

Quote:

Indeed, we had a poor weather in July and also the first 15 days of August.
From February to the first weekend of July, we had never experienced rain or storms during weekends!
I think we had rain everyday but one, and on a couple of those days the rain was quite heavy. And we heard the winter snow was quite poor. We have friends who operate a small inn at Serre Chevalier, and who told us it was a very bad year for the ski business.

Kurt

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The Col de la Sarenne has become one of my very favorites, and I am disappointed to hear that it will be widened. I love it as it is. Here is some video of it, including one in which I frightened myself.
excellent vids.
it is a shame cameras like this never fully grasp the view of the environment. But it still brings back many fond memories!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duibhcek View Post
excellent vids.
it is a shame cameras like this never fully grasp the view of the environment. But it still brings back many fond memories!
Thank you. Like I said, nothing fancy, no music, no editing. The vids are a nice reminder, but not really a substitute for being in the midst of that incredible environment. That said, I'll put up a few more.

First is following my friend, Mark up the Col du Galibier heading south from Valloire.

The cancer I referred to earlier is a rare one called gastrointestinal stromal tumor, or GIST. The reason for my involvement is that one of my best riding buddies was struck with it a few years back. His name is Colin Barlow, and I met him the first time I rode in the Alps. He was with us on the trip this past summer, still riding superbly. So well in fact, that I didn't realize that this would be our last trip together. Colin died on Thanksgiving day, positive until the end that he'd find a way to join us next summer. It's difficult to describe what a great person he was, so I'll show you some video of him riding his old BMW through the Alps he loved so well.

First up is following Colin up the Penser Joch in Italy.

The last time I rode behind Colin in the Alps. Heading down the Col du Lauteret from the base of the Col du Galibier heading towards Briancon.

Kurt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode