Camping Options On Blue Ridge Parkway? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Camping Options On Blue Ridge Parkway?

Brother-in-law and I are planning a week-long camping trip along the BPR for next spring. We want to camp because we already enjoy non-motorcycle camping, and we want to save some $$. Already have purchased the basic items specific to motorcycle camping: tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, waterproof stuff-sacks, stove, compressor, maps, etc.....

I noticed that all of the nine national park campgrounds on the BPR do not have shower facilities. I'm not ashamed to say that if I don't get a daily shower, I'm more miserable than I usually am . Can anyone provide input on any other campgrounds along the parkway that have shower facilities? Any other input regarding tips/suggestions greatly appreciated. We want to be as prepared as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 05:00 PM

Wont help with washing your hair but might get you an extra day between showers..... http://www.amazon.com/No-Rinse-Cleansing-Deodorizing-Bathing/dp/B00008QQN2
Look at your route and keep in mind that lots of truck stops have pay showers. I have a friend who was a truck driver and said they kept the showers pretty clean.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
It's been 5 years, but I recall some of the campgrounds did have running water for sinks and toilets. I washed my hair in the sink and used baby wipes. There are some motorcycle only campgrounds near the parkway, and we hit a hotel every third night or so.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:43 AM

I have always trekked out to a stream, grabbed up some water in a collapsible water container and soaped up with some all-natural biodegradable liquid soap. I have used Dr. Bronners for many years, just dilute it first.

~ Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 05:18 AM

Willville MC Campground

Meadows of Dan, VA. Will's got it goin' on, he runs a tight ship and is a fellow rider.

And the breakfast biscuits are goood.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:09 PM

Not sure of your route.

Going through this summer with my 11 year old, we stayed at the Iron Horse Campground very near Deals gap.

IF it is near your route, do it. Great place, clean showers, dinner option (we didn't), and well manicured. We weren't looking for a camping in the wild experience. We just wanted a clean place with no hassels. That's what we found.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 06:06 AM

Sherando Lake to the north end.

May be crowded on some weekends, good to go most times during the week.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like there are quite a few options, as long as you're willing to travel just a little off the BPR. Gotta get the maps out and figure out how far to travel each day.

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode