Across Canada on the green machine... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Across Canada on the green machine...

Hello All!
I just wanted to update you guys that I completed my cross Canada adventure on my new to me V. The story of my trip was that I had been really looking hard at getting a Versys after selling my cruiser and wanted to try something that I could use on the twisties around B.C. and could also do some adventure touring on. I wound up finding a well farkled V in Nova Scotia and decided...why not?

So I flew out out on Aug. 16th to Halifax where the incredibly gracious owner drove to pick me up. We then went out for some local grub and ale, hit the hay, and the next day got the banking and permits taken of. After going for a rip around his hometown I took off to begin my journey west. I had a pretty tight schedule to keep as I had to be home on Aug.25th, so I had to put in some monster days in the saddle, but the sore butt was well worth the opportunity that was before me.

I was incredibly lucky to have a perfect day to do the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, which has been on my motorcycle bucket list for quite some time. I then worked my way north into New Brunswick and Quebec, before turning West and crossing over into Ontario,Manitoba,Saskatchewan,Alberta, and after 7,200 kms. finally, my home province of B.C....

It was a fantastic trip...the V performed flawlessly, and the memories I have from finally seeing my country from Coast to Coast will be with me for a long time.

The first pic is on The Cabot Trail, the next in Old Quebec City, and then at the provincial boundary into B.C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5056.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	814.5 KB
ID:	12413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5136.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	847.8 KB
ID:	12414   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5289.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	465.4 KB
ID:	12415  

Last edited by SUREFIRE; 08-28-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

a few more photos...first is a sunrise just outside of Calgary,AB. then into the Rockies near Banff, and the other is at a viewpont called the Lookoff in central Nova Scotia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5265.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	12416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5278.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	693.1 KB
ID:	12417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5018.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	12418  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 10:45 PM

Very nice, makes me want to get out on the road again!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
thanks for sharing.

Man. Machine and Memories the will not get erased.

What else do we need.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Thats the way to get to know your new bike, great pic's
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 AM

Garage
Now that's what I call buying a bike with style. Well done. And I salute you for making a coast to coast of Canada, something I'd hope to do one day.

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 11:54 AM

Fantastic way to pick up a new bike. My wife and I have driven across to Nova Scotia twice in the last few years since our daughter moved there and it is definitely on motorcycle "want to do" list.
Next year I may rent a bike in Halifax and do the Cabot Trail.
Thanks for the picures and report..

2013 Versys1000
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
Fantastic way to pick up a new bike. My wife and I have driven across to Nova Scotia twice in the last few years since our daughter moved there and it is definitely on motorcycle "want to do" list.
Next year I may rent a bike in Halifax and do the Cabot Trail.
Thanks for the picures and report..
There is a company outside Halifax that rent Versys. I can probably find their number if you need it. Living in Halifax, there are some great coastal rides on the outskirts of the city and south shore. Only issue is the road surfaces are not always pristine pavement (lots of tar strips and a few pot holes) which is not the best on a cruiser with 3/4" of suspension travel but not really a hardship on the Versys.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the kind words...I forgot to throw out some trip info in case anyone else is planning a big trip on their V.
I ran Michelin Road Pilot 2 for tires, which were fantastic for everything. They are a "little" flatspotted after that much straightlining, but still performed great once I hit the mountains. The Corbin was a lifesaver, enabling me to do 10-14 hour days without wanting to seek a butt transplant.

Other comfort options that worked great were the Puig screen which was damn smooth with only minor turbulence when you were battling some crazy crosswinds...(thanks Prairies...) oversize moto footpegs,hiway pegs mounted to the engine guards,and the Powermadd handguards to help with wind and bugs. I lubed my chain with Maxima Chain Wax every night after getting off while it was still warm, and checked the oil every few hours and every morning before takeoff...not a drop used...

If anybody has any questions feel free to either PM me or post on here and I'll get back to you as soon as possible as I have a few more days off before heading back to work...

CHEERS!

Last edited by SUREFIRE; 09-13-2011 at 07:01 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
There is a company outside Halifax that rent Versys. I can probably find their number if you need it. Living in Halifax, there are some great coastal rides on the outskirts of the city and south shore. Only issue is the road surfaces are not always pristine pavement (lots of tar strips and a few pot holes) which is not the best on a cruiser with 3/4" of suspension travel but not really a hardship on the Versys.
Thanks for the info Sprocket
I did find the place on-line something-something Exotoc Car Rentals in St. Margaret's Bay. I couldn't believe it of all the bikes in this world thet rent either a Versys or a Vulcan 900, go figure. I thought if I was going to rent something it would be fun to try something else.

2013 Versys1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode