Madeira Island tour - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Madeira Island tour

Good afternoon!

On holiday in my island, I have planned for some time now a weekend tour in the magnificent scenery that Madeira has to offer to those who have never visited or who live in it but have forgotten why it is considered the pearl of the Atlantic.
Only one rule governed this trip: try not to use the highway and, if possible, go by the old routes, the more curvy the better!

For those who don't have a deep knowledge of the island this is it:

We started in "Funchal", at 11am on Saturday. First stop was "Cabo Girão" and it starts badly: a message appears saying that the XM receiver of my GPS is not compatible.

I concluded that the said receiver is not waterproof and as a downpour had caught me the day before, he was frying. Solved the problem (I ordered one cable without the receiver), we headed towards "Ribeira Brava", Cabo Girão was as full of fog so I didn't take any pictures.

Having reached the sightseeing of Ribeira Brava, you can see here the two mnotorcycles that were part of this trip most of the route (for a few miles we were joined by a gtr1400) a T-Max 500 from 2001 and a 2010 Versys, two very different generations, two distinct concepts but that provided a smooth ride without any problems.

In the old path to the Ponta do Sol, we found this gem. I think the images clearly show the smile that was left on our face.

After this treat, we stopped at "Jardim do Mar", with several miles of curvy, attractive and surprisingly well-kept roads

The ascend from "Jardim do Mar", to "Ponta do Pargo" was simply wonderful!

In this next picture you can see the curve where I got the above photo (bottom right) and the road through a tunnel (left side, more or less in the middle)

Next destination: "Ponta do Pargo", the most Western point of Madeira, well known for its windy climate . I did catch one or two scares with the switching lanes due to the strong side winds.

[IMG] http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4002/20082011090.jpg [/IMG]

From here we continued to "Porto Moniz" by a simply delicious road! I was sorry not to take any pictures but I was so focused on driving that when I thought about it, the road had ended.It was only curves with tar preserved and surrounded by trees, hydrangeas and Agapanthus (for those who do not know what they are, here's) gave a wonderful color to a very different road.

Here we paused for lunch. The journey so far is as follows:

After refueling the drivers, it was time to climb up the mountain, another road with magnificent landscapes! I stopped too many times, just to take photos or enjoy the view. Up, in "Rabaçal", I was completely in love with the scenery and started to understand the success that this island is for tourists.
[IMG] http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/6457/20082011095.jpg [/IMG]
[IMG] http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6721/20082011096.jpg [/IMG]

[IMG] http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1997/img0509zm.jpg [/IMG]

And so we ended the first day going through a VERY winding descent that made me feel like going back the same road, but upwards! It should be a joy ...

In sum, many curves, 153 kilometres , starting at 11 am and coming home at night by 20h.In a very moderate pace, discovering what Madeira has to offer!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dust_; 08-22-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

On the second day, the aim was to make the other "half" of the island, namely the east.

We started to climb to the "pinnacle", where we can have a panoramic view over Funchal.

Hence, we headed to "Caniço" and the viewpoint of "Cristo Rei"

This (above) is the access to this beach (below)

Then we headed to the Ponta de São Lourenço (the most eastern point of Madeira), where he can see both the South and the North of the island

After this round we were joined by a friend with a GTR1400, and together we went to "Porto da Cruz" and "Faial", where we ended up having lunch and closed this first part of the course

From there, we went to "Pico das Pedras", passing through "Santana" and stopping in "Achada do Teixeira" to make a journey on foot to the top of "Pico do Areeiro" (1816 meters high) the highest point of Madeira.
I apologize for the batch of pictures but I got lost in this beauty! Fortunately I have been to many countries in Europe, including Switzerland, Italy, Poland or the Greek islands, but this landscape is a rare thing

My father and companion of this and many other adventures!

We lost a lot of time at lunch and here and so did not to complete the whole circuit, missing the descent of the "Ribeiro Frio" (Regional 103) and violating our purpose (do not drive on the highway) but it was worth it!
[IMG] http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2362/2parte2dia.jpg [/ IMG]

On the second day we did about 165km, starting a little early (10 am) and ending by 19h.

In all, about 300km a week-end well past when the "old lady" T-Max made an average of 5.7l/100km and "young" Versys still has gas in the tank for over a 50km (with an average approximately 5l/100km, maybe a little less).

Also here is the link to the CASAS DA TERÇA, country houses where we spent the weekend, and who sponsored this experience (these are our houses (or rather my father's) and, since he was putting petrol in both bikes, we can say that is a sponsorship)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Casas-...18532874873719

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:01 PM

Beauty! Thanks for sharing.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
awsome, what a great looking place to ride
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Absolutely beautiful!! Thanks for taking us along! WOW!!! Phil, I think these guys are giving you competition for beautiful places to ride!!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Yep Rick will have to up my game to keep up with that outstanding scenery, the only way to see that sort of country is on a bike but i am preaching to the converted.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Truly, a bike's the ultimate way to visit an island, especially one as "bumpy" as Madeira

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 09:45 AM

Talking WOW!..and WOW!!!!..and one more WOW!!

Those are in my opinion the best pics ive seen on the forum..The water fall on the road should be pic of the year!!!..And that folks is why this is the the best forum,THE V FAMILY IS AWESOME....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode