Back to the Gap - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Back to the Gap

For the past three years I've made several weekend trips to visit the Dragon, Smokies, and the Cherahola. I've yet to make a trip this year though due to work and family, and its about that time again. This will be my second attempt to get away this year. My first attempt was thwarted due to a emergency surgery which landed me in the ICU for a week and out of work for 6 weeks.
I finally feel like i'm strong enough to take my annual trip and wanted to do a small Ride Report for yall to enjoy.

Me:
My name is Chuck, I'm a thirty something kid who loves God and family first, my passion for motorcylces started when I was about 5 yrs old. I got a Dirtbike for Christmas and literally learned to ride my little Yamaha before I learned to ride my bicycle. Over the years I've picked up many hobbies but Motorcycles is still my biggest next to my Wife and two awesome kids.

Bike:
I have a 09 Green Versys "Betsy", I love this bike more than any I've ever had and now that I'm slightly over my dirtbike phase, Betsy fits my needs perfectly. I've got several types of luggage for her and accessories but for this ride I'm going as light as possible. Two Pelicans, tank bag, tank panniers, and tail bag.

Plans:
None, I may end up in Gatlingburg to get some moonshine, I may end up riding the smokies, or I may end riding the area around the dragon. I do need to get a 2011 patch from Deals Gap Resort.
I intend on leaving today 08-05-2011 around noon and pointing Betsy north. I've got till Sunday to play and go and do to my hearts content. I will update yall as much as possible. If my blackberry cooperates I will post pics as I go. You will have to wait till I'm back to get the good pics from my Rebel EOS.

Well thats all for now,

Cheers to us,
Wha's like us?
Damn Few And They're A' Died!

"The feeling isnt fear, its just telling you to move" Rancid

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse." Dad

09 Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Wolfman Expedition Large Duffel
Seahorse top box SE540

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Sounds like a darn good plan Calico Jack !!! Glad you're well enough to ride. Stay safe.

Brother-in-law and I are looking at a trip to Blue Ridge Pkwy next year. I'll be interested in your experiences with lodging, riding and sightseeing. We're looking for suggestions.

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Camping/ lodging

mchieffallo,
I'm an avid Hammock Camper. I have spent a few nights at the actual Motorcycle resort at deals gap. I mainly hit state parks or secluded areas to catch some zzzzz's. Koa's are nice too and are plentiful.

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse." Dad

09 Versys
Green

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Seahorse top box SE540

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I'm back.

I had a great time and got to visit alot of my favorite places. I brought along my DSLR but after the second day of taking photo's I realized that I did not bring along my friggin memory card. Lucky for me I had taken a few snap shots with my Crackberry.

I hit the road on Friday at about 1300 and was heading towards Dalonoga, Ga. I wanted to ride by TWO to see it one last time. It was sad to see the red barn with no nick nacks or lawn ornaments scattered about. I have alot of great memories from TWO. Of course the pics I took were with my DSLR...

My next destination was Murphy NC. from there I went through Robbinsville and ended up at Deals Gap. It was past 800 pm when I arrived so I went straight to the camp area and put up my Hammock in the dark. After a good nights sleep I ate some hot chow at the Deals Gap diner and slayed the Dragon.

Hammock Set up w/ tarp
[IMG][/IMG]

W/Tarp pulled back
[IMG]
[/IMG]

Loaded and ready for the Dragon

After that I wanted to head towards Gatlinburg so I took the Foothills Pkwy...

and rode through Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and back around the other side towards Cherokee.
Once I got close to Cherokee I realized that I still had enough time to get to Mt. Phisgah and back before dark If I hurried. I turned onto the Blue Ridge Pkwy...

and headed out. Approximately twenty minutes into it I stopped to take some pics. That was when I realized that there was no memory card. I also realized that I would be cutting it close for time and that if I continued further I would drive through a rain storm which was along my path. Needless to say I was pissed at myself about the camera thing, I was starving, and running short on time, so I turned it around and headed back towards Cherokee. I stopped at a few lookout and got these pics...

Notice the BMW seat mod??

I stopped to photograph these Mooses, Moose, Moosies, ahh whatever...

I got into Cherokee and while looking for a campground I rolled past this...

I bedded down at a KOA and got some hot chow, swam in a pool, got into a hot tub, and got a shower all before the sun went down...Should have gone to Pisgah...

Sunday Morning I got up early and headed to Helen for Breakfast and picked up some grits from the grist mill. After a drone on the slab I finally got back home with enough time Sunday to enjoy the family and relax a bit before going to bed.

Here is the tally for the complete trip...

Here is my Spot link:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Ffd7uqNJqhCTpz

Overall It was a great time, It was really hot during the days but manageable at night. This was my first trip with my Bimmer seat and although it is tons better than the stock I still was fidgeting after a few hours in the saddle. Rest stops were the key and made it a lot better. Again sorry about the dang picture snafu. Hope you like it anyways.

Chuck

09 Versys
Green

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Seahorse top box SE540

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 02:32 PM

Talking Great ride!

This is what makes the V forum so awesome!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 03:28 PM

I think those meeses, are elkies.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Lol, Hell could be...I'm from middle Georgia, They all look like big deer to me

09 Versys
Green

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Seahorse top box SE540

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:30 PM

Nice

Thanks for sharing!

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode