Tri County Trails - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tri County Trails

Is anybody interested in riding the TriCounty Trails (http://www.tricountytrails.com/) in south western Wisconsin some weekend? It's supposed to be quite easy, which is good for me because I don't ride off road ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Depending on when. Sure I would go along. The cheese trail is supposed to be very flat and boring. I have not ridden it though.

Are you familiar with the ADV s.w. gravel ride?
Do you use a gps?
What kind of tires are you using?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sw gravel with shortcut.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	12067  

Ride em if ya got em!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Hey Tinner. I've used a GPS on some of my road trips. Unfortunately it died in Colorado after I got snowed on in Rocky Mountain National Park about a month ago. I'm not familiar with the ADV gravel ride. Do you have a link for it? As for tires, I'm still on the stockers. The bike only has 2k on it. I'm not experienced in off road riding and was looking for something compatible with my skills and equipment. Flat and boring seemed the way to go I live about two hours from the cheese trail. I'm self employed and things are slow now so I can go most any time. The weekend of August 13th is out though. What is the map in your sig? I couldn't quite make it out. Is the highway in red HWY 18 near Wyalusing?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 PM

Ahhh probably a good idea. I am not a pro either but I do ok.

I can not upload a gpx file on this forum. If you have a mapping program shoot me an email and I will send you the file.

The heavy red route in the middle is short cut if you only want to do part of the ride. Without looking about 1/2 I would say.

Where are you located? I m about 1/2 north of Monroe.

I thought the pic would be larger. So I will try it this way.

Thats better.

Most of these are gravel. And not to bad to ride. IMHO YMMV

Ride em if ya got em!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

I'm in Kenosha. It's not too bad of a ride to Monroe. I need to do some reshaping to the seat before I ride too far though. I rode for six hours getting the bike home last weekend and the seat wasn't comfy at all.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

It looks like Ill be helping my mother in law move on Saturday, Aug 13th. I'm thinking maybe Wednesday the 10th I'll make it over to the cheese trail. It all depends on weather and work. I'd probably leave here around 9 am and get to Monroe a little after 11. Get some lunch and mess around on the trails for a few hours before heading home. Hey tinner, is that your profession? I used to work for a custom stainless steel fab shop. I almost forgot, I don't have any mapping software. Can you recommend anything free? I'd like to take a look at that gpx file.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:51 PM

Hopefully I will be working on the 10th. But I may be able to sneak out early.
try this.

LINK TO GOOGLE MAPS

Ride em if ya got em!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Wednesday is looking good for me still. I'll pm you my cell number before I leave Wednesday. Just give me a call if you get out early and want to meet up.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hey guys, report back how the trail is. I need to work on my gravel skills, but after my encounter with sand... well I'm a little gun shy.

If your up to doing it again I'd love to ride this some weekend in mid-September.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct73 View Post
Wednesday is looking good for me still. I'll pm you my cell number before I leave Wednesday. Just give me a call if you get out early and want to meet up.

Sounds good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
Hey guys, report back how the trail is. I need to work on my gravel skills, but after my encounter with sand... well I'm a little gun shy.

If your up to doing it again I'd love to ride this some weekend in mid-September.

The sand still kicks my butt. BUTT (sp int.) I am getting better now that I have a new bucket and shovel....

Also sounds like a plan. Maybe by that time we can put together a little TWAT ride. (trans wisconsin adventure trail) from the Ill/Wi border to North of Ashland

: )

Ride em if ya got em!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

How much rain did you get out there? I'm worried about running into a bunch of mud.

Lonerockz
Mid September would be nice but I can't wait that long. I'd be willing to do it twice though.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 PM

Not much rain here. From what I know of those trails, they are pretty well graded and graveled. I would not expect any issue on the trail. But again I have never been there.

I am going to have to back out on tomorrow. Late yesterday afternoon I had a family member carted of to the Hospital by ambulance. Have a ball and let us know how things go.

Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the rain update and I hope it's nothing too serious with your family. It looks like I'll be going it alone. If anybody else is interested, post here and I'll check it in the morning. I'll give the full report tomorrow after the ride.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 PM

This should be a good ride report.

: )

Ride em if ya got em!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 PM

If you guys do this in Mid Sep, I may be up for it!

Bring on some gravel/dirt!

Tinner you going up to Eagle River for the beerfest?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
If you guys do this in Mid Sep, I may be up for it!

Bring on some gravel/dirt!

Tinner you going up to Eagle River for the beerfest?

I was thinking of doing both weekends. But my mother is in St. Marys as of Monday night. So this weekend is not looking too good. Maybe next Thursday after work. I really do not know yet.

You?

Ride em if ya got em!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Ride Report

I got up yesterday to perfect biking weather. The sun shining, not too hot, and a gentle breeze. This was going to be an awesome day. I spent some time the previous couple days reshaping the seat. I didn't go wild adding new foam etc., just dishing the seat. I'm sure I could get it better, but I rode the two hours on the way out without stopping or standing on the pegs every ten minutes. I had a little discomfort but nothing to worry about. TONS better than before. It was a gorgeous day to be out for a ride, but since I had a destination, I didn't take any interesting looking side roads.

I had good directions from Kenosha to Monroe. Just take 50 to 12 to 43 to 81 and you're there. My first mistake, I thought Monroe was a lot smaller than it actually is and didn't have any directions to the actual trail. No problem. I got some lunch and after eating pulled up the internet on my phone, got directions to Lucky 7 gas station that sells passes. Lucky 7 was only blocks away and I got my permit and directions to the trail. I rode the half mile to the trail and scoped out the area. Here's where my second mistake kicks in. The only trails I was familiar with were the bike trails in my home town. They use a nice small gravel commonly known as traffic bond that forms a nice smooth surface with wear. This gravel was nothing like that. I figured I give it a go anyways. Using the stock tires it felt like marbles under the front wheel. I made it maybe a half mile down the trail, decided this wasn't any fun and turned around and headed back.

All was not lost though. It was still a beautiful day and I was on a motorcycle. I took my time heading home hitting a few rustic roads and stopping at a cool Mill Park landmark off HWY 81. The seat proved itself to be acceptable, and the new top box came in very handy. I'm sure I'll give the trail another shot some day, but not until I get a more suitable set of tires.

Darren

Edit: Oh, and I got 55.8 mpg!

Last edited by dct73; 08-11-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode