Pennsylvania riders, any ideas? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pennsylvania riders, any ideas?

Hi, I'm planning a trip, soon, to explore PA. I am looking for suggestions on sights to see. I've been to Gettysburg, Fallingwater, and explored the course of the Johnstown Flood. All good stuff.
So far for this trip I'm thinking Scranton for Steamtown and the Coal mine tour and then to Penn's Cave. Any other things to see? I get interested in almost anything. If you can also suggest decent nearby motels, that would be a bonus. Thanks Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 PM

Since you'll be in coal country, Ashland Pioneer coal mine tunnel tour, Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville, they have tours and tasting, free. Centrailia, just google that. Jim Thorpe - old jail tour, Packer Mansion, Molly Maquires, lots of stuff in town, even Segway tours.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Last edited by WindWalker; 07-10-2011 at 10:19 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Hit up Wellsboro. Rt. 6 is a nice ride. If you want a great windy road try route 87. If you are nearby, get out to the PA Grand Canyon. If you make it into Williamsport, check out Bob Logue motorsports, they have a pretty impressive Honda museum at their shop. Can't suggest any motels because I always camp.

-Kyle
'12 Super Tenere
'08 Versys
'07 KTM EXC 450

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-not making them right now, sorry

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:17 AM

The Delaware water gap fo sho,
lancaster (amish country) is quite fun with tons of twisties,
up in Reading there is this an Pagoda on top of the "mountain" and its quite fun getting up and down it.

If you are going to go by Harriman state park in NY, take a look at this route that Pretbek made for our bear mountain ride. It is definitely worth riding!http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.783905&z=10

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

These are all good suggestions guys, keep em coming. The Water Gap is a nice break from the highway, I take it whenever I'm passing through. Depending on which coal mine I go to I can make a nice triangle. Scranton/ rt 6/ Pa Grand Canyon/Penns cave looks doable. Would I pick up rt. 6 out of Scranton and take it to Pa. Grand Canyon? Mark.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:58 PM

Have any of you guys been to Centralia? I would like to check it out sometime this summer/fall.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Centralia is right next to the Ashland coal mines. I'm putting it on the list. Are you allowed to drive around Centralia?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 05:01 PM

You can take rt. 6 from Scranton to the Pa Grand Canyon. It's a nice road but slows through the town and getting stuck behind trucks isn't much fun. I would suggest (and have done) taking route 87 to 154 to 14 to cut out a bit of rt. 6. It adds time but they are some of the best roads you'll find. Also you can take a quick detour to check out World's End State Park. A quick ride up to the Vista will give you some awesome views.

In Wellsboro there is a cool bar/restaurant called The Wellsboro House. There is also a rail car diner in town called the Wellsboro Diner.

Centralia is kind of cool. I go riding dirt bike in that area all the time (ashland, centralia, st. clair) The actual town of Centralia is completely gone except for the cemetery and the roads are still there. The section of rt. 61 that is closed is accessible on bike (or by foot). It is graffiti'd and trashed. I guess it lost it's luster for me but I've been there countless times.

If I didn't just tear some ligaments in my knee last week I'd offer to meet up with you and ride. I absolutely love that area.

-Kyle
'12 Super Tenere
'08 Versys
'07 KTM EXC 450

-not making them right now, sorry
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 PM

Yes you can drive around in Centrailia, but most of the houses are gone. Like Kyle I've dirt biked all over the area, racing enduros and just riding. Thousands of acres and hundreds of miles of trails. Anyhow, there are a few houses left yet and last I heard one guy was still holding out and the fire co is still there. There are lots of dirt roads that are easily ridable on the Versys in stock form, nice loop up behind the cemetery. The old Rt61 is pretty cool and easily acessed with a stock Versys. Drive slow, there are some heaves and sink holes. No smoke last time I was there.

Depending on your time frame, give me a shout and maybe we can hook up and I can give you a tour. I live about 20 miles from Ashland. I'll PM you my #, if you break down or need anything feel free to call.

Mike

Last edited by WindWalker; 07-11-2011 at 06:14 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 06:24 PM

You might like the Eckley Miners' Village, but there are better coal mine experiences since this one does not take you into a mine. The Weatherly Hill Climb is not too far away. It's rather short but the turns are crazy.

The Francis Walter Dam is pretty cool. It's a large earthen dam that you can drive across the top. Boulder Field in the Hickory Run State park is very unique.

I've been told that Bill's Old Bike Barn in Bloomsburg is great if you love motorcycle memorabilia.

The Hawk's Nest ride Near Port Jervis is one that my Uncle enjoys.

All of the other suggestions are excellent as well.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 06:26 PM

There is also a mine tour in Lansford/coaldale area - I think it is the # 9 mine not sure. Just up the road from Jim thorpe. Some of the roads up thru the poconos are really quite nice as well. There are two hotels that are fairly nice to the East of Lehighton. Near the turnpike. My memory for names elludes me at the moment. Also a cheaper one on 443 just across the Lehigh River.
When are you coming up this way? If I am off, perhaps we might meet up.
Just came thru Franicis Walter about 2 weeks ago. Had never been there and came across it by accident on an evening jaunt.

Last edited by rcskier; 07-11-2011 at 06:29 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcskier View Post
There is also a mine tour in Lansford/coaldale area - I think it is the # 9 mine not sure. Just up the road from Jim thorpe. Some of the roads up thru the poconos are really quite nice as well. There are two hotels that are fairly nice to the East of Lehighton. Near the turnpike. My memory for names elludes me at the moment. Also a cheaper one on 443 just across the Lehigh River.
When are you coming up this way? If I am off, perhaps we might meet up.
Just came thru Franicis Walter about 2 weeks ago. Had never been there and came across it by accident on an evening jaunt.
I'm hoping to come through next week. I'm laid off from work right now so time off is not a problem. I'm waiting on another rider.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 PM

blipco -- I would also recommend Wellsboro and the PA Grand Canyon. Brother-in-law and I did a weekend there in 2009. Very beautiful area. Witnessed bald eagles in flight and nesting. Pretty good roads. I'll provide a link to the campground where we stayed. Only a mile or two from the canyon viewing area. We utilized the cabins. Very clean.

My schedule is pretty busy with my kids activities, but if you're able to provide just a little notice, I'd be very glad to show you a nice way to get from Scranton to Route 6 (to Wellsboro). Send a PM if you're interested. I grew up in Scranton and currently reside about six miles outside of Scranton.

http://www.campinpa.com/Cabins.aspx

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode