Saddle Sore 1000 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

View Poll Results: Have you done an Iron Butt Association or other long distance ride?
Yes 16 76.19%
No 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Saddle Sore 1000

I'm starting to plan a thousand mile/24 hour ride starting from LeMars, IA. No, I have not lost my mind. This is what I have so far.

LINK TO THE MAP

Any suggestions on the route?

IBA WEBSITE FOR RULES AND GENERAL INFO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372

Last edited by Motopsycho; 07-10-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Looks pretty boring to me; it's all flat and interstate. Why? Seems to me you could spend the same time in the saddle (maybe less miles) on a route that had some better roads and scenery.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Looks pretty boring to me; it's all flat and interstate. Why? Seems to me you could spend the same time in the saddle (maybe less miles) on a route that had some better roads and scenery.
The whole country is basically gentle rolling hills and interstate with isolated patches of awesomeness. And it has to be a thousand miles (plus a little more for odometer accuracy) to be validated by the IBA for a SS1000. This isn't a vacation, I just got back from Colorado for that. This is just a test of man vs. road, machine, and time on some weekend.

I added a link to the IBA website in the first post.

IBA # 49372

Last edited by Motopsycho; 07-10-2011 at 04:32 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 04:48 PM

If you really want to test man and machine try Deal's Gap. AKA The Dragon. More fun, better scenery, and it will test your manhood.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 PM

Believe it or not, for some riders this is fun. I have done several and will probably do it again soon. There are better roads and scenery but this is just a different kind of adventure on the bike.
Ride safe, stay focused and have fun.
BTW-The Dragon was fun too.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Dragon's too far away. I want local rides. This thread and the rides I am after are not for scenery.

IBA # 49372
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:48 PM

my only comment would be to skip the part along the Lake and replace those miles by going further south on 39, towards Peoria, just to avoid and big city congestion. i did this when i lived in CT. mid-morning, i found myself mired in weekend traffic leaving Boston and headed to Maine. it was painful.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 PM

Looks like fun! One of these years I want to do the Lower Great Lakes (round Erie and Ontario) but first I've got to fix this f*&@ing seat.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
All the best on your 1000.

Ride safe and keep posted.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 AM

If I am not mistaken you had the 43 tooth originally, well this would be a good reason to slap that 43 back on there for straight up cruisin.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Garage
I have not done it yet, but have plans to do one next spring.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
If I am not mistaken you had the 43 tooth originally, well this would be a good reason to slap that 43 back on there for straight up cruisin.
I've got the 43 on now, no way I would go that far on the factory 46

IBA # 49372
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

I just did a Bun Burner Gold (1500 in 24) this weekend. Minneapolis, MN to Elko, NV.

Turned around and did a leisure ride home for 3100 in 67 hours.

Here is my route. (Gotta update my map!)

If you just want the SS1000 I would suggest a different route. You have too much stuff in that Rockford, Milwaukee, Sheboygan section that can lead to road construction, accidents or other delays. I'd do a circle, Your place -> Fargo -> Minneapolis -> Des Moines. Higher speeds in SD & ND than in WI. Yeah its dull, but success is more likely.

Come start in Minneapolis and I'll do it with you! Don't have time to go to IA and back.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
Come start in Minneapolis and I'll do it with you! Don't have time to go to IA and back.
I could meet in Minneapolis after the first 1/4 on my own, and go 3/4 of the way together, then you would have to ride from around Sioux City (30 miles North of it) back to MN. Possibility I guess.

IBA # 49372
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Oh I only offered to keep you company, some folks feel safer with someone else along. I've got no real need to add another SS1K to my list of rides!

What kind of prep have you done for this? I recommend that folks do a single no-stop fuel tank run. Depending on your mileage that would be 200 miles round trip without a single stop. For you I'd head north or south on I-29, do 100 miles turn around and come back. If you can do it without putting your feet down on land then 1000 miles will be easy, cause all you have to do is that 5 times.

Also more important than how many teeth your sprockets have is do you have a throttle lock? Of all the accessories that I have that is the biggest key to doing the big miles. When your fatigued its really easy to slowly back off the speed an not notice.

Do you have a GPS? If so go by the speed it reports not your speedo. If you don't have a GPS, figure out your speedo error. Mine with a 16/46 setup is high by about 2mph at cruising speed.

On my BBG I literally stopped 4 times for fuel (with the dual tanks I can go more than the 350 miles allowed by the IBA), once to eat and twice to adjust my clothing for local temps. Only other times my feet hit the pavement were for stop lights & construction. They key to these rides is not stopping, it is NOT going fast. The faster I go the more beat up I get per mile, making me more tired, requiring more stops. And on the V my mileage drops off considerably above 85. I only get 39MPG at 90.

Here is an example to illustrate what I mean about speed vs. stops:

77.5 MPH for 1000 miles = 12h54m + 4 stops 15 minutes each = 13h54m
85 mph for 1000 miles = 11h46m + 5 stops 25 minutes each = 13h51m

Add in the fact that you will get a ticket if you try to go 85mph for 1000 miles you can see that managing your stop time is more important.

Now on a SS1K you have lots of slack time, so really its kind of overkill.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
What kind of prep have you done for this?
I've done 750, 800, and 850 mile days before on bike's that are straight from the factory, so 1000 on my V will be easy.

List of mods:

43T rear sprocket
kuryakyn grips
throttle boss
bar end weights
NEP throttle lock
kuryakyn forward pegs
RAM GPS mount
TOMTOM GPS
tail bag that is used as a back rest
GIVI touring screen
Lots of different riding clothes/gear
(some other non-relevant mods also)
(soon to be added mods)
PIAA driving lights
Corbin seat

Do you know if I can strap on a 2 gallon fuel tank to my rack? Just the regular red plastic type. My fuel economy seems to wander between 30 and 48, which is a big difference in mileage over a tank, and I don't want to get stranded between town A and town B on a run when time counts.

IBA # 49372
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Your prep looks great! You look good to go.

There are no prohibitions for these kinds of rides against carrying fuel that way (its different for rallies like the IBR or MN1K). However I would advise against carrying that much extra fuel. Those containers are really not safe on a bike and may turn a minor get off into an inferno. Do you really need an extra 80 miles of fuel?

I used to carry an MSR fuel bottle. Just 1L but it was enough to get me to the next gas station. You can get them at most camp stores. I doubt your mileage will vary that much if you go the SD->ND->MN->IA route, unless you run into heavy winds. If you do run into heavy winds just draft (at about 200 ft) a fast moving semi for 50 miles or so, you will be amazed at the mileage boost. On the WI route I would expect heavy traffic, so that one might vary more.

Steve

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 02:29 PM

I did an IBA Saddle Sore 1000 in March of this year. It was easy and fun. I completed it in 18 hours and 20 minutes, and I had one lengthy (45 minutes) stop for a meal. If my life depended on it, I am sure I could do one in 14 or 15 hours. My next endurance ride will be the Bun Burner 1500. I did "a loop" route. My bike is stock except for a Givi windscreen, grip puppies, and an OEM topcase. One caveat: shoot for doing 1,100 miles on your odo. I went 1099 miles according to my odo and my official mileage was 1043 miles. It would suck to come up 10 miles short because of odo inaccuracy....

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
I did an IBA Saddle Sore 1000 in March of this year. It was easy and fun. I completed it in 18 hours and 20 minutes, and I had one lengthy (45 minutes) stop for a meal. If my life depended on it, I am sure I could do one in 14 or 15 hours. My next endurance ride will be the Bun Burner 1500. I did "a loop" route. My bike is stock except for a Givi windscreen, grip puppies, and an OEM topcase. One caveat: shoot for doing 1,100 miles on your odo. I went 1099 miles according to my odo and my official mileage was 1043 miles. It would suck to come up 10 miles short because of odo inaccuracy....

That's what I figured. Suck to go 10XX and not get it. 1200 . . .why not?
Good practice for a 1.5k

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode