Alberta ride: Calgary to Westlock - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alberta ride: Calgary to Westlock

Just got back from my first long ride on the Versys. Calgary to Westlock (about 1 hour north of Edmonton which is about 400km one way. Took the QEII to Leduc and then over through Devon.

Here is a shot of the V with a poor mans soft luggage consisting of a SportChek bag strapped to seat.

Thinks I learned about the riding the Versys on highway:
-Bike will cruise at pretty well any speed you care to go. Speed limit is 110k/h so I started out cruising at about 115 but by the end I was up to 125-130. That is 5500-6000 rpm which is very smooth for this motor.
-Took it up to 160k/h just to say I did it. It would go much faster.
-You don't want to ride behind Semis due to wind buffeting. I tried to see how close you would have to ride to get into a smooth pocket of air but it was too close for my comfort.
-Comfort-wise the seat was bearable for up to an hour at a time. I made a point of stopping at least every hour just get off the bike, stretch, have a drink of water. Also you have to stop at all Tim Hortons right.
-I am very please with the bike. It never missed a beat. Oil level is the same as when I left too.

Next time I might take highway 22 through Sundre, Rockmountain House, Drayton valley for a slower, more scenic ride.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:14 AM

Shot must be "pre-ride"....Bike is still clean.
Not sure if you're aware but the V's speedo is off by anywhere up to 13kms/hr. So, you may not have reached 160km/hr...yet.
Get a gps, it should give you a more realistic speed reading. I was shocked/p'd off when I found out. Kawi says it's acceptable (according to my local dealer.)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sign_guy View Post
Shot must be "pre-ride"....Bike is still clean.
Not sure if you're aware but the V's speedo is off by anywhere up to 13kms/hr. So, you may not have reached 160km/hr...yet.
Get a gps, it should give you a more realistic speed reading. I was shocked/p'd off when I found out. Kawi says it's acceptable (according to my local dealer.)
Yeah, I know about the speedo error. I have changed to 44 rear sprocket so error is only 2 or 3 k/h @ 110 k/has observed on my GPS.

Brian

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 AM

Looks good and glad you made it safe and sound on the Que II .... we should get a central alberta ride going one day so all the local V ers can meet & greet .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman View Post
Looks good and glad you made it safe and sound on the Que II .... we should get a central alberta ride going one day so all the local V ers can meet & greet .
Hey Oxman, I figured this thread would catch your eye. I was lucky to be able to go in the middle of the week so the traffic wasn't too bad on the QEII. I have to go back to work next week so it will be strictly weekends after that.

There is only about 3 or 4 places in that whole stretch that changes direction...I guess you could call them Alberta twisties.

I would definately be up for some kind of group V ride. Maybe we could meet in Red Deer...it's pretty central. Maybe we could ride west to Rocky Mountain House (Rotten Monkey House) and back or something.

Brian

Last edited by versysxxx; 07-08-2011 at 11:57 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Awesome and thanks for sharing your ride.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Back in '03 when I had a Bandit 1200S that I bought in Edmonton, I'd promised the dealer I'd get the first service done at his shop for the GREAT price he'd given me. I was on the way north (from near Calgary) using various cars as "blocks" - I'd stay back about 1/4 mile matching their speed hoping they'd be the one the cops would spot, and my block had just left the QE2 near Ponoka when I saw something white coming up FAST. Thinking it was an RCMP cruiser I was gearing down so I wouldn't show brake-lights, when a Cadillac went shooting by. Took me a minute before I realized that he might turn into the BEST block I'd ever get, so I rolled into the throttle to match his speed, and it was 180 kms/hour (about 112 mph!).

I stayed back about 1/4 mile and matched his speed for probably 40 to 45 minutes till we got into traffic around Ellerslie, and I got close enough to see that the Caddy was an Enterprise rental!

THAT ride was a real rush!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Back in '03 when I had a Bandit 1200S that I bought in Edmonton, I'd promised the dealer I'd get the first service done at his shop for the GREAT price he'd given me. I was on the way north (from near Calgary) using various cars as "blocks" - I'd stay back about 1/4 mile matching their speed hoping they'd be the one the cops would spot, and my block had just left the QE2 near Ponoka when I saw something white coming up FAST. Thinking it was an RCMP cruiser I was gearing down so I wouldn't show brake-lights, when a Cadillac went shooting by. Took me a minute before I realized that he might turn into the BEST block I'd ever get, so I rolled into the throttle to match his speed, and it was 180 kms/hour (about 112 mph!).

I stayed back about 1/4 mile and matched his speed for probably 40 to 45 minutes till we got into traffic around Ellerslie, and I got close enough to see that the Caddy was an Enterprise rental!

THAT ride was a real rush!
Yikes...great story. My neighbour was always telling me I should buy a Bandit 1200 when I bought the Versys. I think he was a little disappointed. He says that oil/air cooled 1200 motor is really excellent. He is a former racer and quite knowledgable.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 AM

The QE2 can be a little scary at times. Every now and then I'll take the 2A between Edmonton and Red Deer as a nice alternative to the Death Race QE2. I remember when I first got my Katana and I was doing a "speed test" just south of Leduc on the QE2. I was doing 160 indicated, and a friggin' pimped out F-350 blew past me like I was standing still. Scared the $hit out of me. Nice for making quick time between Calgary and Edmonton, but not the most scenic or twisty road in the province.

-Whitey Jr
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey Jr View Post
The QE2 can be a little scary at times. Every now and then I'll take the 2A between Edmonton and Red Deer as a nice alternative to the Death Race QE2....-Whitey Jr
Back when 2A was THE Calgary-Edmonton Trail, nearly every weekend there'd be a report of a fatal accident at the 'Morningside' Corner. I believe that's near Blackfalds and the golf course there (along the QE2). And then there's around Hobema....
Be careful!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysxxx View Post
Just got back from my first long ride on the Versys. Calgary to Westlock (about 1 hour north of Edmonton which is about 400km one way. Took the QEII to Leduc and then over through Devon.

Here is a shot of the V with a poor mans soft luggage consisting of a SportChek bag strapped to seat.

Thinks I learned about the riding the Versys on highway:
-Bike will cruise at pretty well any speed you care to go. Speed limit is 110k/h so I started out cruising at about 115 but by the end I was up to 125-130. That is 5500-6000 rpm which is very smooth for this motor.
-Took it up to 160k/h just to say I did it. It would go much faster.
-You don't want to ride behind Semis due to wind buffeting. I tried to see how close you would have to ride to get into a smooth pocket of air but it was too close for my comfort.
-Comfort-wise the seat was bearable for up to an hour at a time. I made a point of stopping at least every hour just get off the bike, stretch, have a drink of water. Also you have to stop at all Tim Hortons right.
-I am very please with the bike. It never missed a beat. Oil level is the same as when I left too.

Next time I might take highway 22 through Sundre, Rockmountain House, Drayton valley for a slower, more scenic ride.

Brian
Did the same ride this past weekend and would like to add that I find the top gear roll-on power to be very impressive. From 120-125 k/hr up to 140+ is very strong and quick. Makes passing very safe and easy.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode