A pilgram in an Unholy land..... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
A pilgram in an Unholy land.....

Yesterday I made my yearly Pilgrimage to Bike Week in Laconia, NH....as one might guess its HD heaven....honestly...how do these guys find their bikes...they all look alike

Here are a few pics....

I have a few more of the beer Garden but they may be deemed inappropriate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 AM

Ugh, so much chrome and tassles I think I tasted a little v*mit in my mouth. JK!

Got to hand it to you for going into such hostile territory on your V!

As for the beer garden photos....maybe you should count on the members here to see if they are appropriate or not.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Ive often considered going up to that event. Thanks for posting those pics... Now I can cross it off my `things to do list

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

There are quite a few metric bikes there....but it is mostly HDs...There are some really neat custom bikes to look at loads of venders selling all kids of stuff from smoking deals on leather to accessories etc...There are cops everywhere....gone are the days of the smoke shows and topless biker chics....I only go during the day I hear the nights are a bit more wild....
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

One other funny note.....traffic really sucked getting out....30-45 minutes to go 2 miles...here I am in my helmet and Aerostich suit....85 degrees out.. talk about hot....however the guy in line next to me had to keep shutting the bike off so it wouldn't over heat....glad I had a water cooled engine They thought I was crazy wearing all that gear and I got a good laugh at their antiquated engine lol
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:43 PM

I just had a pack of about 50 HDs ride through the little PA town my dad lives in. I can't help but notice that for a group that supposedly prides itself on being independent, these particular creatures seem to prefer the herd.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I do have to wonder why there is so much Harley bashing that goes on on all the Non-Harley forums. Why can't we just all ride our own bikes and not worry about what others ride?

I used to live in Daytona and during Bike week you didn't want to be anywhere near Main Street. Way to much traffic!

I am just not into cities and crowds. Doesn't matter whether it is a biker gathering or any other type of gathering. I would rather rent a cabin out in the mountains with a view of a lake than go anywhere where there are crowds.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:37 PM

I believe the main reason that there is so much Harley bashing is because at least these days a vast majority of their riders are mid-life crisis folk. They get sold on the dream at the Harley dealer. Then they go out and perfect the Harley rider scowl and coast around town with their buddies. I've met some really awesome people that ride Harleys. I have two very close friends who are Harley riders. But these people are the real deal and I find to be quite rare. I do find that the real riders out there on Harley's tend to get along with just about everybody. Unless they are actually 1%'ers in which case I just steer completely clear, try not to make eye contact, etc. I've only come across a scant few of the 1% type, they are out there and I wouldn't mess with them.

Mike
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I am just not into cities and crowds. Doesn't matter whether it is a biker gathering or any other type of gathering. I would rather rent a cabin out in the mountains with a view of a lake than go anywhere where there are crowds.
Same here, in fact I despise cities, crowds and traffic! I was born & raised in NYC. I moved out 35 years ago and consider that one of the best decisions I've ever made.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:45 AM

What bugs me about most Harley riders is they will not even wave to you, unless you are on another Harley. Talk about elitist mentality. And then their is all the skulls, black leather and the other tasteless stuff. No thanks. In my opinion they have brought much of it upon themselves.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by versman View Post
What bugs me about most Harley riders is they will not even wave to you, unless you are on another Harley. Talk about elitist mentality. And then their is all the skulls, black leather and the other tasteless stuff. No thanks. In my opinion they have brought much of it upon themselves.
See that's where you have mis-conceptions. The only Harley riders who don't wave when I wave are the ones who are afraid to take their hands off the bars. At least that is what I want to think.

Harley riders aren't the only ones into skulls and other stuff YOU don't like. Many motorcyclists do skulls and spikes on their bikes and gremlin bells and skull caps etc. Some motorcyclists even where Hi-vis jackets, vests, helmets, etc.

Some motorcyclist are so stuck up and elitest that they make fun of any bike rider that doesn't ride what they do or wear what they wear etc, etc.

Some of you guys are just as bad as the folks you say are bad.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Many motorcyclists do . . . .gremlin bells . . .etc. Some motorcyclists even where Hi-vis jackets, vests, helmets, etc.
I have a ride bell on my V.

My friend Jerrod, who works for Harley, always gives me crap about having a ride bell, boot/pant clips, black apparel, leather items, and claims I should have gotten a Harley and got it over with. I don't like any cruisers. They are rough running, curve and acceleration hating, and are ergonomically uncomfortable to me. Another buddy tells me if I was going to add all the stuff to my Versys, I should have just got a BMW. Well, they're all too expensive.

So, as usual, everybody on a Kawasaki likes us, and everyone on something else hates us.

IBA # 49372
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:45 AM

I like the title of the thread; it's the exact way I felt on my RD400 in Sturgis.

IBA # 49372
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 AM

I just had to look up "Riding Bell", never heard of that before. Interesting tradition.

I guess dry clutch Ducati riders don't need that

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

The thread wasn't intended to be a HD bashing thread....l wave at everyone, and I didn't get any crap for riding the V...I even caught a few people looking at mine.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 AM

a bud got me a bell...and it hangs from my swing-arm with pride. good karma too!

I assume New Hampshire doesn't have a helmet law???
and, Harley or not....it's hard for me to have any respect for a rider that chooses not to wear a proper lid just because there isn't a law that requires it.

and I wave to everyone....scooters, cruisers, sportys, EVERYONE!
never make assumptions.....many riders just aren't comfortable taking a hand off the bars.
But we are all brothers-in-arms....IMHO

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 06-20-2011 at 10:36 AM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
a bud got me a bell...and it hangs from my swing-arm with pride. good karma too!

I assume New Hampshire doesn't have a helmet law???
and, Harley or not....it's hard for me to have any respect for a rider that chooses not to wear a proper lid just because there isn't a law that requires it.

and I wave to everyone....scooters, cruisers, sportys, EVERYONE!
never make assumptions.....many riders just aren't comfortable taking a hand off the bars.
But we are all brothers-in-arms....IMHO
No NH does not have a Helmet law "Live Free or Die" ... no seat belts either.

I won't ride without a helmet but I won't make anyone wear one no matter how stupid I think they are not to. There were a fare amount of riders wearing helmets...
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
See that's where you have mis-conceptions. The only Harley riders who don't wave when I wave are the ones who are afraid to take their hands off the bars. At least that is what I want to think.

Harley riders aren't the only ones into skulls and other stuff YOU don't like. Many motorcyclists do skulls and spikes on their bikes and gremlin bells and skull caps etc. Some motorcyclists even where Hi-vis jackets, vests, helmets, etc.

Some motorcyclist are so stuck up and elitest that they make fun of any bike rider that doesn't ride what they do or wear what they wear etc, etc.

I stand by what I wrote 110%. I just went on a long ride Sunday and out of about 25 Harley riders only one waved. Doesn't really matter to me, just an honest observation. You could not pay me to ride a Harley.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versman View Post
Quote:

I stand by what I wrote 110%. I just went on a long ride Sunday and out of about 25 Harley riders only one waved. Doesn't really matter to me, just an honest observation. You could not pay me to ride a Harley.
Must be a regional thing. Out here Harley riders wave just as much as everybody else.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 04:05 PM

I own a Harley and a V. I wave at everybody. They are both great bikes in a totally different way. 2 wheels is 2 wheels. Its not the bike its the rider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode