Viva La France !!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Viva La France !!!!

My better half and I are leaving this little island tomorrow (Tuesday) and heading off to France for a summer holiday. I hope to have lots of pictures on our return and if there are any good ones, I'll post them here, if you nice people are interested. Now, the only fly in the ointment is that we are going by car.
The lovely Lynne doesn't 'do' bikes, so we're going in the next best thing, my Mazda MX5 LE. We're going to the Normandy area and although I've visited a couple of times before (by bike), Lynne hasn't. I'll not want to bore her silly with all the invasion stuff and I'm hoping there's plenty of other things to do and see. Anyhow, see y'all in a week or so.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
"This little island" in Nothern Ireland? I think you mean "Vive la France!"... 'Viva' is Spanish: "¡Viva España!" (They also have an upside down exclamation mark at beginning)

That should be an awesome journey!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:42 PM

Now there's a picture that makes you scratch your head. A red Mini, a Miata, and a Microbus. The universe is a silly place. Enjoy your trip!

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
"This little island" in Nothern Ireland? I think you mean "Vive la France!"... 'Viva' is Spanish: "¡Viva España!" (They also have an upside down exclamation mark at beginning)

That should be an awesome journey!

I'll bow to your superior language intellect. I can't speak the lingo anyway, so as usual, it'll be interesting to see what I actually get on my plate come dinner time.

Three hours to go and we're away................WooHoo !!!!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
. . . I can't speak the lingo anyway, so as usual, it'll be interesting to see what I actually get on my plate come dinner time.

Three hours to go and we're away................WooHoo !!!!
Davy,

Ya'll?? You must be from the southern part of Northern Ireland.

But to the important stuff. In my humble opinion, French food is, for the most part, superb - that is if you don't mind tons of butter and cream and other wonderful and rich artery-clogging ingredients. In the time I lived in France (and visited regularly while living in Germany) I decided it didn't matter because I thought the food was too good to pass on. My logic was that at least I'd die gastronimcally satisfied Oh yes, and more than a little overweight. Still, happy times, and I'm thinner now to boot.

On the other side of the coin, the French tend to eat certain things I didn't think should be eaten - at least at first. However, the escargot were excellent and after a bit I didn't think of them as garden snails any longer. My brother however always believed that having escargot was too much like trying to eat a pencil eraser soaked in garlic butter. What's to be expected; he's a barbarian.

Have a grand holiday and do post some pictures when you return to the "little island."

Oh, I almost forgot. I had an English (actually a transplanted Irish) girlfriend while living in England who told me her uncle was a tail gunner on a milk float in Dublin! Should I have believed her?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 06-14-2011 at 06:28 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
.... I decided it didn't matter because I thought the food was too good to pass on. My logic was that at least I'd die gastronimcally satisfied
That made me laugh

Have fun in the MX-5, but I'd rather take the VW!

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

We're back !!!!

Knackered, lots of miles covered, plenty seen and done and already thinking about 'where next ?'

Here's a taster or two to start with. I'll post more when I get some slee.........................

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Davy,

Ya'll?? You must be from the southern part of Northern Ireland.

But to the important stuff. In my humble opinion, French food is, for the most part, superb - that is if you don't mind tons of butter and cream and other wonderful and rich artery-clogging ingredients. In the time I lived in France (and visited regularly while living in Germany) I decided it didn't matter because I thought the food was too good to pass on. My logic was that at least I'd die gastronimcally satisfied Oh yes, and more than a little overweight. Still, happy times, and I'm thinner now to boot.

On the other side of the coin, the French tend to eat certain things I didn't think should be eaten - at least at first. However, the escargot were excellent and after a bit I didn't think of them as garden snails any longer. My brother however always believed that having escargot was too much like trying to eat a pencil eraser soaked in garlic butter. What's to be expected; he's a barbarian.

Have a grand holiday and do post some pictures when you return to the "little island."

Oh, I almost forgot. I had an English (actually a transplanted Irish) girlfriend while living in England who told me her uncle was a tail gunner on a milk float in Dublin! Should I have believed her?

Nice write on food-LMAO and by the way, what is a tail gunner on a milk float

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Nice write on food-LMAO and by the way, what is a tail gunner on a milk float

That one has passed me too.

Speaking of gunners tho' this was quite interesting.

This was one of several heavy steel pillboxes set around a big German complex guarding the deep water port at St Malo. They looked pretty impregnable and I suppose the occupants must have felt nice and safe inside these.

Or maybe not !!!!

This one was even more scarey.

Last edited by Davy F; 06-23-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode