My weekend tour - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Boricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My weekend tour

Just come back from a 900 mile weekend tour. Covered Poudre Canyon, North Park, the Yampa valley, Northwestern CO and the parts of the western slope. Here's a brief slide show. For those interested I can share the route.

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/y...view=slideshow

For those that do not like going to other links here are some of the picts.



















Colorful Colorado!
Boricua is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 10:00 PM
njd
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
WOW. Beautiful indeed.
njd is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Member
 
Rock Soild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: the Rose City, Oregon
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gorgeous! Thanks for taking the time to share
Rock Soild is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Member
 
spklbuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southeast WV
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What a ride! Thanks for letting us tag along.

Montani Semper Liberi
spklbuk is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, tx
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Beautiful pictures!
rumbo75 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice pics!

My wife and I are headed to CO in August. There are SO many great roads I can't make any route decisions.....

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jmlmjmjm is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Member
 
Davy F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Excellent............

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
Davy F is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Member
 
El Tig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 1,444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Very nice, thanks!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
El Tig is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Boricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Nice pics!

My wife and I are headed to CO in August. There are SO many great roads I can't make any route decisions.....
Here's a link to CDOT list of Colorado's scenis and historic byways. Most of then are good rides. If you need some pointers let me know, I'll be glad to share.

http://www.coloradodot.info/travel/scenic-byways
Boricua is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Member
 
mushin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ft Collins, Colorado
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wow, great pictures! I'd be interested in your exact route. I've never explored the NW corner of CO and I'd really like to, especially after seeing your pictures.
mushin is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Boricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushin View Post
Wow, great pictures! I'd be interested in your exact route. I've never explored the NW corner of CO and I'd really like to, especially after seeing your pictures.
From the Fort Collins area take CO 14 west to CO 40 to Steamboat Springs ( you know that one) . Continue on CO 40 to Craig. From there take CO 13 west to Meeker then CO 64 to Rangely then continue northwest to Dinosaur. Go east on 40 for 2 miles to the entrance of Dinosaur National Monument. This is the part of the park without the bones. This is the entrance to Harlers Corner drive. Check the national park service pages for details. Harpers Corner Drive is 31 miles to the end. You have to hike a couple of miles to get to the place where you can see the Yampa and the Green rivers. So make sure you bring appropriate footwear. Riding boots are not made for walking

Then I backtracked to Rangely and took CO 139 south to Loma and I70 to Grand Junction. 139 will take over Douglas Pass. Really cool pass but seems a recent slide took most of the road and it's not in the best shape.

From Grand Junction I just took I70 east back home.

Total of 912 miles in two and a half days starting in Parker, CO. I broke the trip in three legs staying one night in Craig and one night in Grand Junction. There were some long stretches of nothingness in the trip but not less beautifull than the mountain roads.

If you liked what you saw check out these picts from the year before. I did the western slope but staying south of I70.

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/y...view=slideshow

This one was about 1,500 in three and a half days.
Boricua is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Member
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florence Colorado
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
From the Fort Collins area take CO 14 west to CO 40 to Steamboat Springs ( you know that one) . Continue on CO 40 to Craig. From there take CO 13 west to Meeker then CO 64 to Rangely then continue northwest to Dinosaur. Go east on 40 for 2 miles to the entrance of Dinosaur National Monument. This is the part of the park without the bones. This is the entrance to Harlers Corner drive. Check the national park service pages for details. Harpers Corner Drive is 31 miles to the end. You have to hike a couple of miles to get to the place where you can see the Yampa and the Green rivers. So make sure you bring appropriate footwear. Riding boots are not made for walking

Then I backtracked to Rangely and took CO 139 south to Loma and I70 to Grand Junction. 139 will take over Douglas Pass. Really cool pass but seems a recent slide took most of the road and it's not in the best shape.

From Grand Junction I just took I70 east back home.

Total of 912 miles in two and a half days starting in Parker, CO. I broke the trip in three legs staying one night in Craig and one night in Grand Junction. There were some long stretches of nothingness in the trip but not less beautifull than the mountain roads.

If you liked what you saw check out these picts from the year before. I did the western slope but staying south of I70.

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/y...view=slideshow

This one was about 1,500 in three and a half days.
Man I love your get up and go. Your wife must be an Angel!!
Nick is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Beautiful scenery, but all that white stuff sent a shiver down my spine. :brrr:

There needs to be a brrr emoticon.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 7,035
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Awesome and thanks for sharing.

Fastoman is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Member
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florence Colorado
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Beautiful scenery, but all that white stuff sent a shiver down my spine. :brrr:

There needs to be a brrr emoticon.
That high altitude cool air is invigorating and addictive. When it gets into the 90s I head to the 9500+ ft areas with a bit of snow on the passes. As long as the road is clear it is just fine. It's the 90+ deg heat that bothers me the most.
Nick is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Boricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
That high altitude cool air is invigorating and addictive. When it gets into the 90s I head to the 9500+ ft areas with a bit of snow on the passes. As long as the road is clear it is just fine. It's the 90+ deg heat that bothers me the most.
Last Sun I was riding with my wife from Florissant and the heat was just too much for her. 90+ in full gear in the Colo Spgs traffic was not fun. Had to stop and get her a lot of ice water to cool down.
Boricua is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Boricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Man I love your get up and go. Your wife must be an Angel!!
I have not taken my wife with me in multiday rides. She's just getting started riding pillion. I do the long rides solo. I do not want to push her into 300+ mile a day rides. The other day she was admiring how comfortable a K1200 GTL looks like. However, with a kid still in college the idea of an upgrade have to wait for a while.
Boricua is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florence Colorado
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
I have not taken my wife with me in multiday rides. She's just getting started riding pillion. I do the long rides solo. I do not want to push her into 300+ mile a day rides. The other day she was admiring how comfortable a K1200 GTL looks like. However, with a kid still in college the idea of an upgrade have to wait for a while.
Last week-end I went up to Cripple Creek from Florence, 50 to HWY 9 then High Park rd. on the way back I took 67 to 24 east to Woodland Park- Manitou Springs- Colorado Springs. Traffic, (Pikes Peak Hill Climb), was getting real heavy so I jumped over onto 21st St to Broadmoor and back to Florence on 115. I really started feeling the heat when I got down Ute Pass to Manitou. I lived in Manitou from 1969-1970, it sure has changed from those laid back days. FYI I used to take Hwy 83 to Denver from the Springs. If I recall correctly it came out onto Colorado Blvd and 1st . The only town of consequence between the Springs and Denver on Hwy 83 was Franktown, I don't believe Parker was on the map then. I had a little 356C Porsche then and my favorite part of the ride was the Antelope Creek curve north of the Springs. Thank god there were no police on that road. Anyway nice chatting with you.
Nick
Nick is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Boricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
In 1970 Parker was not a town yet. Now Franktown is no longer a town while Parker is a small city with 45K people.

Once you go past the Franktown, 83 is still a fun ride down to the Springs. There are a few nice sweepers and is still not heavily patrolled. On Sunday afternoons you can catch a few riders doing close to triple digits there. Not that I ever do that while riding there
Boricua is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome