Trans Labrador Highway - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Trans Labrador Highway

Hey folks, I thought that I'd share with you my experience with the Versys on TLH.

First, I want to clarify something: THERE ARE NO BUGS IN LABRADOR!!! going there when I did, mid May, might help

My bike is pretty stock, except the handguards, aux lighting, Happy Trails side racks, SW Motech tail rack, HB crash bars, blinged footpegs, modified headlight, heated grips, DIY mud cover for shock and electrics, Shinko 705 (120/90-17 front and 150/70-17 rear) with about 4k km on them prior to departure, raised and modified seat, fender extender, rad guard, and other small things to call this bike my own. Point being that what I did to it can be done by anyone, with the same lack of skills as I.

Now, I am happy to report that the only things that failed to make it back were things I added to the bike, everything that was stock stayed put, well, almost everything, but that is a different story... Some made it back, but in the sadlebags. I should mention that almost every bolt on this bike has been loctited and torqued back to factory settings though.

Will be back with more, but just came back and there are so many things to do after being away for a while. This pic was taken immediately after getting off the ferry in Blanc Sablon.

[

Last edited by allriding; 05-22-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Looking forward to reading the report. Have they started paving the TLH yet? I read some time ago that they were plannng it.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

twowheeladdict- yes and no Technically there are paved sections around towns. Some extend a bit farther- there are rumours about having the highway paved in totality. I don't know whether or not this will ever happen given that they don't seem to be able to mantain it properly with a gravel top, but what do I know about roads... In Quebec, the Northern section prior to Manic 5, the gravel and tarmac sections alternate.

The link below is an estimate of my trip not including the side trips. I will only focus on the TLH in order to provide my perspective on the abilities of this bike to ride gravel roads. From the rest of the trip I'll post pictures.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,39.331055&z=5

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

So, prior to the TLH report, here are some pics from Newfoundland. I highly recommend this island, it's a different culture in a way, and the scenery is not bad either.

The following pics are from the Eastern?Northern side of NFLD- pleas excuse the quality, I am not a photographer...

This was one of the only 2 days in which it rained and snowed, the rest of the trip was great sunny weather- cold but nice.

An interesting place

the following are pics with the Tabletops- the picture with the road looks very similar to the road to Jasper for those who have been there

some artsy pics

to be continued...

Last edited by allriding; 05-22-2011 at 11:26 PM.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

part of the wildlife met over there

to be continued...
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 PM

this is GRRRRrrrrrreat! cant wait to waste my whole day at work tomorrow reading this!!!!

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 12:11 AM

Beautiful!

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
WOW! Looks like you had a memorable adventure. I'm getting chilled just looking at those photos. Did you wear heated gear?
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
WOW! Looks like you had a memorable adventure. I'm getting chilled just looking at those photos. Did you wear heated gear?
yes, it was a memorable adventure in more ways than one I did have a heated jacket and have heated grips- I should've taken the heated gloves, but I don't like them much for their bulkiness. For legs, in Labrador I had a good pair of thermal underwear, the riding pants, and rain pants- Froggs, and could've used another pair of thermal underwear

Glad you like the scenery guys, it's quite interesting over there. I have lots of pics from Newfoundland, and less so from Labrador- over there I was more concerned with being cold and staying upright
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Very nice photos, love the wildlife
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the slow coming report, work's crazy... Until I get to writing about the TLH, I'll post more pics taken in Newfoundland, no brain power required

Looking at pictures again the memories of the roads come back... They have quite nice roads, unexpected to me... Unexpected was the fact that the speed limit was respected...

Last edited by allriding; 05-31-2011 at 10:19 PM.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

More pics...

post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for posting. Great pictures. You say there are no flies, but what about polar bears in coastal areas. I understand the migrate up and down the coast line and will attack and kill people.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Thanks for posting. Great pictures. You say there are no flies, but what about polar bears in coastal areas. I understand the migrate up and down the coast line and will attack and kill people.
none of those either... I thought long and har about bears, and then I realized that I'm old enough for them to go look for something more fresh... problem solved

glad you like the pictures... and no, bears are not such a big of a threat as they're made to be. Although I have only met brown and black bears, no polar ones yet...
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Loved the humour of Newfoundlanders...

there's also Grandma's hole, as in this, if I didn't somehow mixed the pictures

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Well, the Trans-Labrador highway… heard about it, read couple reports, and figured that this will be a good trip on the Versys. After all, I’ve done quite a few gravel roads over last season and a half, I’ve done also a bit or a bit more, depending from whose perspective, of off-road. I thought I knew my limitations… I came to realize that the TLH is a bit more than just a gravel road…

Bike prep for this trip was something along a visual inspection of the bolts, looked at the tires, Shinko 705s, and figured that they’re going to last, changed the oil, greased the cables, and then loaded the bike. I was riding once with a group and one of the guys saved my butt by giving me a bolt and nut to replace the one I lost from my top rack. I was very impressed with the selection of bolts/washers/nuts/safety wire of that guy and told myself that I have to get myself one of those sets to take with me on the bike- I still tell myself that, never got around doing it…

Beside the bike set, I took a wrench, few sockets- but not the most essential one, the one I will later on need, and a vice-grip (locking pliers). Figured that if I need something more than that it’s time to give up because I wouldn’t know what to do with it anyway.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

The Trans Lab trip started with departing from Corner Brook at about 8am- distance to the ferry to Sablonc is about 350km, the ferry was at 1pm, plenty of time to get there- paved, scenic road. I made that time no problem. I didn’t stop for pics much because I had already done this road few days before on our way to L’Anse aux Meadows. One thing that stood out on that road were the enclosures next to the road… left scratching my head, the ground looked in some places like it was cultivated, so I guess they’re some gardens of sorts- but why so close to the road??? I don’t know the answer, but it might have something to do with the tundra like mossy land thingy that was everywhere else…

Anyhow, back to the TLH… the ferry, old, abused but still ticking... Same as it was with the previous ferry from Nova Scoia to Nfld, the only bike, mine, went last on the ferry. Until then I was used to be the first in first out, not so here...

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Being the only one on the bike people felt like asking all kinds of questions. Don’t mind that… what I did mind was one loud trucker who pretended to live only on that highway…now loud people don’t bother me, but loud ignorant people do bother me… he predicted that I won’t make it across, because of the loose deep gravel, because the 50t trucks create a huge dust cloud and when you have 2 trucks coming from opposite directions you’re in an even worse cloud and so on and so forth… my only questions to him were why would anyone put him/herself in such situation- as in behind a truck, and whether he saw the numerous other bikes who travelled on that road … I’m not trying to win the Dakar, I figured that if the wind is blowing hard enough to clear the dust cloud I’ll pass, if not I’ll put behind at a distance that allows me to breath mostly air and not dust. However, trying to reason with him was not worth the time…

The highlight on that ferry cross was that I met 2 folks from my own city who were traveling in an old full size van… I guess we were the oddities over there, bike and full size van on TLH… as far as I know he made it at least to Labrador city, then we didn’t see each other anymore.

Was already 3pm by the time I made it to Sablonc… so I figured that it’s late to gun it to Happy Valley Goose Bay, figured that Port Hope Simpson is more realistic…And so it was.
Wow, I'm in Labrador...

post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Stopped by the tallest lighthouse that doesn’t look bigger than my windshield

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode