Went on my first "real" ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Went on my first "real" ride

Spent the weekend down at school with the girlfriend and looked outside and was thinking that i really really needed to get on the bike while it was so nice out, so i called my dad and asked if he wanted to go out and lead me on a good ride. He was wicked stoked and made out a plan on his gps and i drove back up home. We went out, me on my red V and him on his goldwing 1800. We went 70 miles through a bunch of really fun twisty roads between RI and CT then back.

I just got my lisence/bike a few weeks ago so i was a little nervous about my first longer ride but it was awesome! just had to keep thinking about all the things they taught be in my MSF course like the whole look into corners and be careful of changing radius corners (almost got caught by surprise on one, it took a real sharp turn near the end) but i have to say i cant wait to keep going on long rides.

i was still unsure if the whole longer rides thing was going to be my thing but after today i know if definately is and the versys is without a question an amazing bike. Cant wait for the summer when i dont have school to worry about and i can take more rides on the weekends. I think my dad took some pictures, ill have to see if i can get them posted up. Just wanted to share my excitement with you guys!

Stay safe and have fun!
Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Great you went for a ride with Dad Shawn and sure he loved it.

You mentioned about raduis of corners, have found that the Versys is one of the better bikes to correct tight corners due to it flickable nature. My wife rides a cruiser and she does say when she rides my bike it is very forgiving if you get your line wrong in a corner or come in to hot. Good you done a course and can put it into practice on the road.
Phil
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Here's a secret so don't tell anyone. If you plan a long ride, try for Sunday and leave early. You should be rolling by 6 AM. There will be the least amount of people on the road. By the time civilisation has awoken you'll be far away from them. Saturday mornings are busy with people shopping and running errands. Yes, the V is a very nice machine. You couldn't have picked a better first bike.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:59 PM

Good on you for taking the basic rider course. Try some slow speed maneuvers in an empty parking lot, like doing figure 8's around painted stripes. Practice braking to a specific spot, like to a certain white stripe in the parking lot. Work on strategies to make yourself visible to others on the road. For example, if you can't see a vehicle's mirrors in front of you, the driver cannot see you. Assume no one in a car or truck sees you and, on the off chance they do see you, assume they plan to run you over. This is especially true for cars planning to turn left across your lane...far too many riders get hit in this scenario. Ride defensively and have fun.

Blipco is right about Sunday mornings. For years this has been a regular weekend plan for me. (I wrote an article for Rider magazine with this angle, look here.) Get on the road at first light, ride 50 or even 100 miles, stop for breakfast in some small town, ask some locals for any interesting back roads in the area. This is a great way to get in 200 or more miles by lunch time without fighting traffic. Watch for critters!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Watch for critters!
thats for sure! my dad almost hit a turkey yesterday and had a cat come out in the road a couple weeks ago..i swear nature has it out for bikers
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:48 PM

man i feel sorry for the cat that jumps out in front of me... now a dog, I would swerve for but the cat. Well lets just say that i dont like cats.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
Well lets just say that i dont like cats.

"If Caesar was alive today I would be chained to an oar".

This life is a test
It is only a test
Had it been an actual life
You would have received
Further Instructions on
Where to go and what to do

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 AM

Welcome to the "Verse" Fineout.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 AM

no pics? i thought this was a pic section

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 AM

Shawn,

Congrats and your ride. Pics would be good.
Take it easy and Enjoy the ride.
Wear the right gear as there are also some people there who tend not to see bikers.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

^im working on it, my dad had the camera and ive been busy with schoolwork so havent gotten back home to upload anything, heres the only one i got
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode