Halifax, NS to Kingston, ON - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
vp7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Halifax, NS to Kingston, ON through ME, NH, VT and NY.

So, I sold my lovely Civic and now I need to ride my Versys from Halifax to Kingston. I do have 4 days so I will take some of the scenic routes if possible and if the weather holds up.

Now for a change I would like to go through Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and New York.

Anybody from that area let me know how the weather and the roads are. I know the forecast isn't the greatest. I will start traveling on 6 May, probably stay in Fredericton, NB for the night and then head to Maine.

Any suggestions and tips will be appreciated.

See you around.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vp7; 05-01-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Change title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
vp7

Bump

Vlast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:44 AM

Will love to hear about your trip when you get back. I live 1/2 hr from Kingston and will be making the same trip this summer in the opposite direction. I have a wedding in Halifax in the middle of July. I am meeting up with my girl friends father in Valcartier Quebec and then heading to Halifax. I only have about 400kms riding experience so far. The weather needs to break so I can my ass out and ride......
Hope you have a Great Trip with awesome weather.
PM me if your going to be in Kingston for a while, maybe we go for a ride. My door is always open.

One Down...keep kicking up till you run out of road.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
vp7

On my way, I rode from Halifax to Fredericton today and will head to Maine tomorrow south on Hwy 2 to Bangor and then westbound towards Burlington Vermont. I will see how far I get.

Not to jinx it but the weather seems alright.

If anybody has any warnings or tips, they will be appreciated.

Vlast

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 07:59 AM

My only advice would be to enjoy the trip! It's a great route you've chosen. Do as much mountain riding as you can. No sales tax in NH if you're looking to buy stuff. You can stay on the small roads all the way to Gananoque, as you've given yourself plenty of time.. Have fun.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 01:04 PM

I've driven the Montreal/Maritimes part of this route so many times I've lost count.

1) Don't take the Renous highway through New Brunswick from Marimachi to Grand Falls especially at night. Hitting a Coyote, deer or mouse (edit moose) would be a major concern. Also there is 255km of no civilization (people, power lines, gas stations). There is also not much to see other than trees and mosquitoes. Instead recommend sticking to TC. Take a break at the falls in Grand Falls and covered bridge in Doaktown (claims to be the longest one in the world).

2) Route 20 through Quebec gets you there quick but is one long, strait line of 4 lane highway and very boring. Instead cross the Saint Lawrence at Rivre du Loop or some other point via ferry and take back roads through the Gaspe to Quebec City and on to Montreal.

3) plan to spend a day in old Quebec City. It's the oldest fortified/walled city in North America and a great place to visit in the summer with lots to see. Also great food at fairly cheap prices. A lot of the historic 400+ year old plus houses in the city core have been converted to restaurants with outdoor patios and the French know how to cook. Competition means prices are great too.

4) Take the tunnel and route 40 directly through Montreal and avoid rush hour at all costs. Stay left when the road splits for Ottawa and Toronto near Hudson.

5) Google maps and Google trip planner are great

Last edited by Sprocket; 05-07-2011 at 02:41 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
vp7

So today I did about 355 miles from Skowhegan, Maine to Lake Placid, New York. I hit Mt Washington, New Hampshire and Burlington, Vermont on the way as well. Totally bushed There were some detours around Lake Champlain due to flooding and some ferry closures.

This was the longest day of my 3 days on the road and the one that I rode the least freeways. My posteriour is a bit sore but otherwise all good, and the hottub at the hotel was a great bonus.

Tomorrow I will take a few pics in Lake Placid and head to Kingston. My longest trip to date. I don't have any video but photos will be forth coming once I get a chance to sit down and edit them.

Thanks for the tips, I think I will hit Quebec, City and the province of Quebec on the way back to Halifax in June.

Vlast

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
vp7

Finally got around to process and post some of the pics. I don't have time to repost them here but here is a link to the picasa album. It was an awesome ride with some great roads and even the weather worked out great.

https://picasaweb.google.com/vlast.p...eat=directlink

I am not in Egypt for the year and can't believe I have been here for 3 weeks already.

On the way back to Halifax I took a longer trip around the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec with a stop in Quebec City.

Here is the Quebec City Album.

and finally the Gaspe Peninsula link:

No riding for a while now, so I will have to look back and enjoy.

And enjoy some of the pics that are already showing up here.

Have a great summer everybody.

Vlast

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode