Canadian Survives Brp Crash 9/14 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Canadian Survives Brp Crash 9/14

Hello guys . Rather than retype the sequence of events , I am copying and pasting this ride report that I posted on my home forum , www.klrworld.com . There is also a Versys section on that forum as well .

Anyway , here is todays ride in a nutshell .

__________________________________________________ ______________

Well , I gotta amdit , I thought long and hard on posting this . Simply due the fact this was really not a planned trip . BUT ......... Here it goes .

As some would be aware of , a small group from the Western North Carolina area set off on a ride in the Brevard area today . I took a step down from the ride because I was sort of figuring that with TDP only being a few short days away , I wanted to keep my kLR in tact until then . Not wanting to risk injury to the bike that I am riding at TDP in fear of breaking something , and then not be able to get parts in time for the Rally .

Never the less , I am most always up for meeting the gang at Julies for beakfast even if I don't plan on riding with them . I jump on the Versys , haul butt down the mountain and catch the group as they had finished up and were obviously having a gossip session . Man , they looked like guilty kids , but were quick to admit thet were talking about ME behind my back. I sort of laughed and said I was oblige to be their Sunday morning entertainment . I wolfed down a couple of biscuits and gravy and rode with the group for a few miles out of town then split off heade for Maggie Valley .

If you saw that little red headed gal n Maggie , you would understand why I go there so much . Up the famous Hwy 215 to the BRP I go solo . Hit the BRP , turn south . After a few short miles , a group of 6 bikes with full tour gear pulled out of one of the parking lots on the BRP . I am thinkning " COOL " , I will tag along at a distance and at least have a pace and a group ahead to ride with .

I did ease up on the last bike a bit after a mile or two and noticed the Canadian tag and then eased back off to keep my distance . Riding solo so much , I will often drop in on a group and use them for cover in traffic , although the BRP was really baren with folks , I hooked on anyway .

After a few miles of clipping along pretty good , I realized we were approaching , YEP THE FAMOUS 439 MILE MARKER , that mean arsed curve that eats more bikes and riders than any other curve on the BRP . I am already at a pretty safe distance just for the sake of self preservation . Headed for the curve at the 439 , the group was nice and collected and all was looking well . I look up and the second bike ............. YEP ..... the 439 takes down another seasoned rider . Man , I am telling you , this looked dang ugly from my seat . I am getting sort of pissed at the 439 curve about now .

The rider was looking good , made every curve up to the 439 look like he owned them as if he had been there just yesterday . To much speed , to much skylarking , to much something for sure , but not enough road . This guy caught the edge of the shoulder and I mean him and that bike did ....... I don't know how many endo-saults . Tail over tea ketltle with pieces and parts flying like a tonado had hit .

Luckily for me , my early on thinking kept me out of the debris . The rider directly behind him made a stellar performance evading the rider , his bike and or any debris . The Pillion on the two up just in front of him was watching it go on in her hubby's rear view mirrors and they got stopped right away . Dang it all . Another rider , only 7 days after the two up I got tangled up with in the same curve . The big difference between this 439 smash up , and last weekends , is that this rider was safley out of traffic , and because I was behind them , he didn't cross my directon of travel . I pull up to the two up and ask them if they want me to chase down the rest of their group . There answer .... " PLEASE " .

The front of the group did not realize they had lost riders . I know guys , I know what you are gonna say , so go ahead , say it . Anyway . I hammer on to chase those guys down . Now , if one mans bad luck can be anothers good luck , it happened in the first mile . As I head down the BRP to chase down their group , Low and Behold , I see a Jackson County Rescue vehicle just tooling up the mountain .

DANG SKIPPY !!!!!!!!! The rescue boys don't even need to be called , they can't miss the accident and they are less than a mile away doing 40 mph . Rider down has help on the way and noone even knows it . Someone tell me , is that awesome or what ?

Yep , I just hammer on . This group was already moving along pretty nicely and catching them was gonna be a real job at my skill level . BUT , I push , but knowing the rescue boys are gonna be busy with what they are about to FIND , I know the next bus will be a while so not to much push .

I ride for what seemed to be quite a long time and still not catching them . Welp , now I start really stepping up the pace in the straights . I am thinking , dang it man , don't Canadians ever look in their rear views . Come to find out , one of the other Pillions was looking in hubby's rear views and had told hubby noone was behind them for way to long . About that time , I catch up . I peeled on the brakes and shouted at them that they have a rider down .

They all turn around and head back up as I go with them . I gotta say , I really do like the Canucks mindset . They didn't get all freaked and start knee dragging to get their , they just dealt like the Canadians they are and got on back in there safely .

Of course , by the time we get there , Jackson County Rescue is already dealing , and doing one fine job . Man , after last weekend , I just did not want the job of roadside medic again . OK , here is the , " one mans bad luck turning to another good luck " . There just so happened to be a search and rescue going in progress on the BRP , and Jackson County Rescue was coming up the mountain running mutual aid for the BRP bunch . Now , is that cool or what ? The downed rider was not down even a minute before he had medical help already on the job . OOH RAH !!!!

Considering the fact that the bike was a total loss and needed to be towed , along with them being Canadian , the whole insurance thing is likely to take forever to settle and we came up with the idea that the downed riders BMW would be better off sharing the stable with my steeds . We had the wrecker bring it here to my place and she is all safe , and saving them tons in storage fees .

There is are a couple of funny parts to this tragedy though . When I got back after chasing down the group , and walked up to the downed rider , the rider was hurt pretty good but in good humor . As I walked up I heard him saying , " Oh George , I am suffering mostly from embarassment but anything that doesnt hurt , I can't move " .

Now , here is the other sort of funny but really cool part . " George " just so happens to be the downed riders brother which so happens to be riding , yep , you guessed it , an 08 blue Kawasaki KLR 650 . George and I are instant buds . Riding the only KLR in the bunch that was originally a group of riders from a Suzuki Intuder forum heading for Pigeon Forge for an Intruder Rally .

These Canucks are tough let me tell you . George , again , riding the only KLR in the bunch had his KLR stolen a couple of nights back and the cops recovered it , he had just caught back up with the group a day back . Theses Canadians were awesome . They just all sort of were taking it all in with stride and pushing on to deal with Georges brother who was by then on his way to Haywood Hospital .

We all waited on the wrecker along with the quite southern but also quite attractive BRP Ranger lady . Of course , I layed all the needed info on George about www.klrworld.com I can assure you , PO-SLOKE has yet another stray on the way to the forums .

I am not so sure some of my methods are all that good of an idea to make friends sometimes , but what I do know is that my next visit to Maggie Valley , I am taking another route . I kid you not . I am sort of thinking that this little red head might be something I need to give up on . Maybe the powers that be , want me in search of blondes or brunettes for a while , who knows . LOL . But by golly , I am going around that route for a while . Geesh ...........

Here are a couple of photos of George's brothers BMW . Sorry , I never got his name , but he was a trooper about being so banged up .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CANUCK1 914.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	1076   Click image for larger version

Name:	CANUCK2 914.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1077   Click image for larger version

Name:	CANUCK3 914.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	1078  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 06:50 PM

Wes, I'm seriously reconsidering any future group rides with you!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Neil ,

I know you are just poking fun , but I see it like this . It makes for a hard day , but I am also thankul that I can be trusted to be put in the vicinity of hardship so I can be of help to folks .

Although I must admit , I am going to mix things up a bit and start taking a different route to Maggie Valley for a while . You never know , there is likely to be folks on that side of the mountain in need also .

Wes

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 07:22 PM

Seems like you are the right guy to be in this position. I don't know what I would have done. Thanks for the excellent write up on this situation. When I decide to ride the BRP, I'll contact you first to get some advanced information.

Last edited by Ocean; 09-14-2008 at 08:23 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Ocean ,

My best thoughts are to use caution at the 439 mile marker . It is south of Hwy 215 about 8-10 miles . Also , Hwy 215 coming up from Rosman off of HWY 64 claims mor riders and bikes than any access route to the BRP .

BUT ..... Do come and ride , we shall be waiting . Wes
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Crashed Rider Update

Ok Folks , I have been communicating with the Canadians and it seems our downed rider is doing fine . Turns out he had a dislocated shoulder and one broken finger . Not bad if you ask me from what I saw when the bike crashed . It looked dang ugly .

Never the less , turns out that the riders name is Paul Harvey . So , with that said , " NOW , for the rest of the story " . Here is a photo of Paul just after he got patched up . He appears to be in good spirits and by all means still alive and with is . " WHEW "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paul Harvey.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	1139  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:43 AM

Man its great to see fellow bikers help out when things go bad ..especially when you are not close to home , Good on you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode