Versys Down - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to seattlekiwi
Unhappy Versys Down

Well.. a break in the dismal weather in Seattle had me hunkering for a ride.. finally got out mid afternoon, me on my Black 10, and Kevslo on his green machine.. we scoped out a road that headed out of sultan into the woods.. the pavement turned to gravel.. thats not bad.. i had been out from Snoqualmie falls and northbend weeks prior into the woods. i was feeling pretty good about the versys even with stock tires.. that i plan to swap for MT60's soon for a summer trip.. anyways.. we climbed a bit in elevation and this time of year, around here, well, that brings you to snow.. pea gravel and a weeee bit of snow.. taking a corner and WHOMPH... out goes the rear, the front head left, the rear heads right and splat, snow and gravel all over me, the bike, and part of the road ther previously had not been snow..

all was well.. bikes a bit scraped up, torn pants, bent gear lever.. barkbusters did their job.. i wish i had alrady installed engine guards.. oh well.. the bike now looks a weee bit more used than not.

so. what did i learn... that this bike REALLY is heavy.. i felt the weight as it went into the slide, and unlike prior life on dirt bikes, there was no recovery here.. snow and pea gravel is not a friend of dunlops. i guess i knew that already.. but now i REALLY know..

a few roadside repairs to bend back the shifter, move back into position the barbusters, and away we went.. DOWN the hill away for the snow..

that called for beer.. and if you dont know the area, there is a great pub on the main road at the lights in teh middle of sultan.

i am thinking its time to get the V some insurance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All who wander are not lost
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:30 PM

Sorry to hear of your damage and glad you're ok ... Maybe send Kawi a long letter and some pics... Maybe they will stop marketing it as an adventure bike ... I think it can be made MORE off road worthy, but not with that stiff suspension and K221's ... you're right, it is heavy ... TOP heavy ... Kinda reminds me of a Cayenne or Toureg being marketed as an off roader ... sorry again bro ...

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hope things alright, how did your body come out of that spill? I will vouch for the barkbusters but i have only dropped my bike when parking but they stopped levers getting bent or broken.

Phil

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 PM

You sound in good spirits after dumping your ride. Glad your OK.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Garage
Ow. Bummer. Glad you're not hurt and the bike will live too.

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM

I nearly did the same one day, glad you're ok!

My Album:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Glad you are ok!
The scoot is NOT that heavy. Don't ask me how many times I know.

: )

Ride em if ya got em!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Were you wearing motorcycle pants? What kind were they? Just wondering as you said they tore on just snow and gravel.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 PM

Dang dude, bummer. Glad you're OK.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I bought the V specifically because it was a lot less than 500 pounds (I have short legs and have dropped every bike I've ever owned in a parking lot), but with how top heavy it is... the low weight doesn't feel so low...

At least I have learned how to pick it up ;-)

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertv View Post
Sorry to hear of your damage and glad you're ok ... Maybe send Kawi a long letter and some pics... Maybe they will stop marketing it as an adventure bike ... I think it can be made MORE off road worthy, but not with that stiff suspension and K221's ... you're right, it is heavy ... TOP heavy ... Kinda reminds me of a Cayenne or Toureg being marketed as an off roader ... sorry again bro ...
Kawi classify the versys as a sport bike. Not an adventure or dual sport. They fix the classification right after its intro into the US. Unfortunately we Americans like to over simplify things and the marketers did not know what to do when the versys was introduced. Want to do dirt, get a dirt bike. Want a sport bike that can be taken comfortably on a some well maintained forest.road. Then the versys might be good for you.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 PM

Ooh, sorry to hear about your spill. I was just out on the forest roads around North Bend this weekend for my first venture 'off' road but thankfully didn't hit any snow. Need to get my V some insurance as well as I really enjoyed myself.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the well wishes..

Sproket.. yea, i was weraing bike pants.. Tourmaster Venture.. they did their job. i have matching jacket and that was just dirty.. all teh plastic held in place and i walked away unhurt. i dont care that it tore the outer skin of the pants.. i saved my skin and my knee, elbow and shoulder for what would have been a lot of pain otherwise..

As far as the versys being offroad capable.. it does ok.. its no MX bike or XR ish bike, but its a great little crossover.. the spill was my fault.. i new the conditions were past what the bike should handle for the speed i was doing.. but hey.. better to go down on a lonly gravely snowy road in the mountains than around cages.. my last bike and i parted ways after a write off accidnet that had my flying over a car roof, so this i see as like tripping up the stairs.. the bike and i will be out again soon with better tires... and possibly more caution at least at first until i get the rear powersliding again

this falling into the "**** happens". riding catagory.

i think that i need to go find me a cheap true dual sporter.. i LOVE THE DIRT.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Alba.. check out NF 5700 out from Snoqualmie falls.. or NF 56 out from the truck stop at north bend.. my mate took a dump on his F800 on NF56 a couple of weeks back.. again.. the snow was just in the wrong place at teh wrong time.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlekiwi View Post
Alba.. check out NF 5700 out from Snoqualmie falls.. or NF 56 out from the truck stop at north bend.. my mate took a dump on his F800 on NF56 a couple of weeks back.. again.. the snow was just in the wrong place at teh wrong time.
Thanks, I will check them out. I have some experienced friends who are going to show myself and a few other neophytes the ropes when it comes to riding forest roads. Having the least suitable bike with stock tires and no crash bars or gravel guard is a concern though, but I had a ton of fun and will be out there again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode