LOOK at DragonBreath on the DRAGON - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lincolnton, NC
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
LOOK at DragonBreath on the DRAGON

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...4360&g=06&s=25

PAGES 2 and 3

There will also be photos posted on KILLBOY.com.

Chris, I guess this is why all the photogs were posted in the curves.

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.

Last edited by motorbum; 09-14-2008 at 08:13 AM.
motorbum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice Chris! I scraped a peg yesterday for the first time and it scared the hell out of me! Then I did it again, and again....

cheers,
/neil
neil_asheville is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Member
 
DragonBreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oneonta, NY (Formerly Winston-Salem, NC)
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alright, James is not playing fairly. He doesn't even mention that the series of pics immediately after mine are of him on his smokin' white Z1000.

I looked at some of these pics and another set at moonshinephoto.com. It's really cool to be able to review a bunch of pics of yourself and other riders on the same curve to compare differing techniques. These pics confirmed to me my suspicion that I'm leaning incorrectly. I find myself leaning away from the countersteer for some reason. I've been told it's because most of my experience in pushing myself has been offroad and the techniques for stability there are sometimes opposite of what you really should be doing on pavement.

Nick, I have only scraped the pegs once on the V so far. I'm surprised by that too because I used to get regular scrapage on my KLR650 which has a much higher peg placement. I'll be the first to admit, though, that I'm not fully comfortable yet pushing it on the V. For some reason the increased "flickability" of the V plays with my head a little bit. It leans so easily that I haven't convinced myself yet that it won't just keep going over. I know in my head that it won't, but I haven't quite convinced my body to accept that reality.

My plan with these pics is to pics out one or two that look like I'm a really great rider and buy those. I'll then pretend that I ride like that all the time.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
DragonBreath is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks like much fun!

DB - enjoyed your pace and courteous leading/riding on the BRP ride. Would have taken the day off on Wed to ride the tail with you guys in a heartbeat, however, was already out of town . . .

Looks like the tail was wupped pretty good by you two though.

I have a pretty good ideat that the Versys would be an excellent tool for the Tail, and would be interested to hear motorbum's impressions of the Z1000 as it is reputed to handle very, very nicely!

Best,
Deel
deel is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 09:10 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dragonbreath ,


I do the same thing with my riding techniques . Not that my skills are all the amazing to start with .LOL . I find myslef often using the rider in , bike out , peg pressure when on the street rather than leading the bike into the twisties with my head , then my body weight as I conter steer . The peg pressure and being late with head position causes me to be early going in to the curve , which put me late getting out . Makes it tough when I do that going into multiple S curves and the twisties are stacking up . LOL

Gets a bit more exciting than I want it to sometimes . LOL . Transposing dirt on the street and vise versa is a bad idea in most cases . BUT... I have found the offroad moves to come in quite handy on wet pavement . I also have to fight the dirt bike technique of extending my foot on the inside of the curve and trying to put it down as I lean and tend to go into a curve thinking about a power slide . Sort of the flat track method . Pretty much a bad idea on mountain twisites I would say . LOL

Last edited by PO-SLOKE; 09-14-2008 at 09:13 PM.
PO-SLOKE is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Member
 
Ocean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, Canada
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great photos. Love the helmet, what kind is it - very visible.

Photo 60 has to be my favorite - it shows you coming into a curve and another rider going out of the curve the other way. Slick.

Has me jealous with all of our flat land riding up here.
Ocean is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lincolnton, NC
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deel View Post
DB - enjoyed your pace and courteous leading/riding on the BRP ride. Would have taken the day off on Wed to ride the tail with you guys in a heartbeat, however, was already out of town . . .

Looks like the tail was wupped pretty good by you two though.

I have a pretty good ideat that the Versys would be an excellent tool for the Tail, and would be interested to hear motorbum's impressions of the Z1000 as it is reputed to handle very, very nicely!

Best,
Deel

I am trying to avoid getting into the Z1000 on here. I enjoy this forum though, so I poke in and out everyday. I just don't want to become unwelcomed because I no longer have the V. With that said. The Z, handled well once I got use to the weight. The bike is low and compact pretty nimble. I must admit, I was a bit nervous on the Dragon because that was the first time I had been on anything like that. The Versys is a little more forgiving than the Z, but mostly due to the weight. I give it the Z an A+. This is coming from someone who bought a Versys in June 2008 as a first bike. Why is this important? I am not an old salt when it comes to motorcycles. I am about as new to it as you can be. I have ridden motorcycles, but never had my own, normally just short rides on a friends.

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.
motorbum is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DB and MB (that rhymes well...dont it? )

Great ride guys....am jealous! cool pics too....plan to head out there before this yearend for sure....need to make the time to do it!
De-Silva is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 05:06 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motorbum ,

Now doubt , awesome ride . Hey , as for being new , you're riding aren't ya ? Thats the important thing and you have a riding buddy lik Dragonbreath to run the Dragon with , doesn't get any better than that man . Wish I had known you guys were going . I would have run up to ride it with you guys .

Wes
PO-SLOKE is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lincolnton, NC
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PO-SLOKE View Post
Motorbum ,

Now doubt , awesome ride . Hey , as for being new , you're riding aren't ya ? Thats the important thing and you have a riding buddy lik Dragonbreath to run the Dragon with , doesn't get any better than that man . Wish I had known you guys were going . I would have run up to ride it with you guys .

Wes

I'm ready to go back, just say when!

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.
motorbum is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Member
 
DragonBreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oneonta, NY (Formerly Winston-Salem, NC)
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Great photos. Love the helmet, what kind is it - very visible.

Photo 60 has to be my favorite - it shows you coming into a curve and another rider going out of the curve the other way. Slick.

Has me jealous with all of our flat land riding up here.
Ocean, the helmet is a Scorpion EXO700 with the Burst graphics. It's interesting that you pointed out the visibility of it because that's the main reason I've stuck with it even though it doesn't match the bike. I'm ashamed to admit this, but normally I'll buy a new helmet to color coordinate with my bike. In fact, when I bought the V my wife made me promise to wait until Christmas to swap my helmet because she wanted to buy it for me. I ended up telling her that I want to keep my helmet so I went ahead and spent the money as part of the Give bag setup.

Studies show that a solid white helmet is the most noticed by cagers, but I've also heard that yellow/black is the most visually distinguishable color combination. Either way, I agree that my helmet seems to get noticed which is always a good thing when you're on a 'cycle.

BTW, that #60 photo is my favorite too. I'll probably buy that one. I think they're like $6 a pop, but how often do you get a chance to have a pic of yourself riding?

To all that have said they want to do the ride again, we ought to put together a ride over there one day. It's a long ride from central NC, but it's do-able as a long daytrip. If folks were interested in a Saturday night camping trip followed by an early Sunday morning run on the Dragon, then it might be do-able. That's about the only way I would think would be remotely safe to do the Dragon on a weekend. Otherwise it's said there are just too many crazies.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
DragonBreath is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Member
 
DragonBreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oneonta, NY (Formerly Winston-Salem, NC)
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I ordered a couple of the pics that were available of me on the Tail of the Dragon. Not that I'm any great rider or anything, but it's just kind of cool to get pics of yourself riding at all, much less on a cool road like the Dragon.

Anyway, here is your's truly:



Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
DragonBreath is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
 
Bear on a bicycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Converse, Tx
Posts: 4,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yep, they look like they came straight from the brochure!! Nice pics!



Bear on a bicycle is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
They do take great pics don't they. I can't wai to get down there on the V. Did the tail and 5 more days of great Smokey's riding in '05 on the Magna.
Magnaversys is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 07:53 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chris ,

Nice photos and an even nicer job on the TOD . I have sort of been out of pocket on the forums other than Stromtroopers . Oh , I suppose I should mention my new steed . Here is a photo of her .

All I can say about this steed is . WHEEEEEWWWW , where has she been all my life .

Can you say , " 11 seconds and nearly 125 mph in a 1/4 , and dirt worthy in the same sentence legally ? Perhaps in this case , it must be said . LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAG HUNG0012.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1486   Click image for larger version

Name:	D1K.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1487  

Last edited by PO-SLOKE; 10-22-2008 at 07:57 PM.
PO-SLOKE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
129 the dragon. BEWARE! JERRYES Off Topic Discussions 22 09-12-2008 07:28 AM
DragonBreath from Winston-Salem, NC DragonBreath Member Introductions 9 08-09-2008 12:24 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome