IBA Saddle Sore 1000...I'm off! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
IBA Saddle Sore 1000...I'm off!

I am leaving within a half and hour for my first ever IBA Saddle Sore 1000. First leg is San Bernardino (Ca.) to Bay Area/Frisco. Wish me well! I'll report back later, hopefully with a successful result!

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 02:54 PM

Wish you well. Be safe out there!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM

Got to hand it to you. Riding a 1000 miles of California Interstate is
absolutely grueling. With the traffic, Semi Trucks and CHP.

Click < Caltrans Highway Cams > for you out of state forum readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
I am leaving within a half and hour for my first ever IBA Saddle Sore 1000. First leg is San Bernardino (Ca.) to Bay Area/Frisco. Wish me well! I'll report back later, hopefully with a successful result!

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 03-30-2011 at 07:59 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck!! Woo hoo!!!

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 PM

whoo hoo

ride safe!!

Ride em if ya got em!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 08:22 PM

Well, you are well into your Ironbutt by now, and I can tell you it's addicting. Best wishes for a safe trip and hope you make it in time.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Yes!!!!

Thanks all!

Well...
I MADE IT!!!
1099 miles in 18 hours 20 minutes. Almost 6 hours to spare! I put in the extra 100 to make sure I had some margin.

All things told, it was much easier than I expected. I almost turned it into a Bun Burner Gold (1,500 mi. in 24 hours) because I was at over 600 miles at not quite 9 hours into the ride. I am sure I could do 1K in 14-15 hours if I really wanted to. I decided to "ease it on in" for the last 400 (really 500), because I came up with what I think may be an even better route for the BBG (really just an excuse for another ride! ) I took a long late dinner (like almost an hour) and also started taking gas at quicker intervals--instead of going for gas at 200-220 miles, I started stopping at 150-160 for more breaks.

As for the bike, it purred like a content kitty the whole way. It literally did not miss a beat the whole time. I had a lot of respect for the bike for it's usefulness as a commuter and weekend twisties warrior, but it makes a pretty darn good touring bike too! It'll hum along at 75-90 mph all day long--literally. I have a Givi windscreen so I didn't fight the wind, and the riding position...wow! No long range stress on your hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck, back, knees, feet...anything. A couple of times during the ride I noticed how little weight I had on my hands and arms, they were basically just resting on the bars. And I was sitting upright, not all hunched over. My bum would start to groan every so often, but I would would just shift my position (er, um cheeks) and I was good to go for another hour or two without discomfort and I just kept repeating that process. Iron butt indeed! One area I can see that might help is gearing. I can't see how a 44 or 43 tooth rear sprocket can do anything but to improve the bike for my purposes. But that's about it. I was half expecting to get 500, 600, 700 miles in and discover something that was causing me discomfort, but that simply never happened--I enjoyed it from start to finish.

Cmoreride: I hear ya' brother! The Cali interstates can be a battleground with aggressive drivers in big vehicles and the sheer volume. I was a bit concerned about that on my first "out" leg because my route had me going through some sections that can get knotted up with traffic pretty bad, but I was lucky (and there at a good time of the day) and traffic was flowing nicely and I still managed a 70-75 mph rate. One good thing about Cal. drivers is they like to go fast for the most part and that's good for us that are trying to make time. I was able to get into a few pockets of traffic on the interstates that were flowing at 80, 85, even 90 mph, and when you can go that rate steady for an hour or two at a time, obviously it really helps you cover ground quickly. I only saw ONE CHP the entire time...one! This one had a driver pulled over in one of those "tricky" speed traps--you know, where the speed limit goes from 70 mph to 65 to 55 to 45 (usually for a tiny town or some sort of construction) in about a mile or two...you can bet there will be a radar gun around...there was this time. Other than that, nada, zilch, nothing. I was glad about that, because I was really not wanting to get a speeding ticket on this trip even though I knew their would be times when I would be going fast.

Well, I have my maps, log, start and end witness forms, and all the receipts from my gas and food stops here. I just need to get everything organized and copies made and then send them off. I can't wait to get my IBA #, pin. cert., and that coveted license plate frame! I am already planning my next one...hmmmm a BB 1,500 or the BBG??? You're right Thumper, these things can be addicting!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 04:05 PM

Congratulations!

Post up your route if you can.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Congratulations!

Post up your route if you can.
Thanks!

I don't know how to post it but I can tell you (It's still really fresh! ) if you are familiar with California Highways it might make sense. Or maybe you can just follow the info while looking at a map?

Left from San Bernardino:
West on the 210 until it turned into the 134 North until it turned into the 101 North and followed that all the way up to just above San Jose/South San Francisco where I got on the 580/205 ( I believe it was west--through Livermore and Tracy) to Stockton where I picked up the 5 North and took that into Sacramento, from there I got on the 99 south and followed that back down to Bakersfield where I picked up the 58 (I believe west) and took that to Barstow where I picked up the 15 South, followed that to the 10 east, took that to the 210 West in Redlands (the backside of the portion I started on) and that took me back to San Bernardino. (dang! That's one long sentence! )

Hope that helps!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Well done, think i would need a sheep skin or a air hawk cushion to be able to do that on my stock seat.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Well done, think i would need a sheep skin or a air hawk cushion to be able to do that on my stock seat.
Thanks!

You know I have started thinking about that issue a bit lately with all the talk on this site about the seat. I think I just may actually have an iron butt! I saw recently that a member posted that he loved his seat because compared to his rock hard dirt bike seat, the V's seat was a dream. According to my hour meters, I spend between 100 and 150 hours a year on a dirt bike and have pretty much done that since I was a teenager. Also, I ride a lot on the street--between 15,000 and 20,000 a year, or between 80 to 100 miles a day, year round for the most part. I don't know, maybe that has got something to do with it....Either that or maybe I have killed all my nerves "down there" over the years!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I also road more off road bikes in my younger years, took a DR 500 in the eighties 350 miles one day and that seat was nothing like the v and I consider the v stock seat ok but with the distance you have just done would of at least used a sheepskin with the versys.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Garage
Congratulations!

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 AM

RockyMoto, I really enjoy reading your posts. Congrats on the IB run.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
I also road more off road bikes in my younger years, took a DR 500 in the eighties 350 miles one day and that seat was nothing like the v and I consider the v stock seat ok but with the distance you have just done would of at least used a sheepskin with the versys.
I should look into doing that for my next IBA run anyway. Hell, if I get myself a sheepskin and a 43 tooth rear sprocket and I just might never stop!

Thanks Mark and Ko0616!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 12:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DrTizz Send a message via Skype™ to DrTizz
Congrats, Rocky! I've been looking at doing one myself. Hit me up when you are thinking about going again, especially considering how close we are geographically to start.

I must say I'm kinda surprised you went towards LA to start, knowing how treacherous traffic can be from Pasadena towards the coast.

<><><><><><><><>
2010 Versys ("Black Bengal")
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is an opinion...that means you, CNN!"

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Congrats.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 AM

Cool! Thats on my to do list on the V
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 AM

Welcome to the club and congratulations. You are now the third Versys to complete an IBA official ride in North America, once you get the paper work back.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Congratulations.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode