A ride... blessed by a wild elephant's kick! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation A ride... blessed by a wild elephant's kick!

Saturday 5 March 11 we joined the first group ride organized by Versys Thailand forum members. Two dozen Vs showed up and the event itself worth another thread. I'll get it for you soon. However, late afternoon five of us decided to take another route back to Bangkok while the majority took main highway. We chose to go through Thailand's first national park, Khao Yai. The reward we got was totally beyond expectations.

First it was an ordinary ride along nice forest road.

Then we found a couple vehicles pulled over, so we sneaked to the front to find out what it was stopping them.

It was a lone male elephant and pretty soon it was coming directly at us.

Guys, you better watch this from my GoPro helmet cam (HD available)

Could have been much much worst, so it's a big relief when it's over.

I myself worked in nature conservation field for over twenty years and this kind of thing never ever happened to me. What an experience!

Life is short, ride long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ranti; 03-07-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 PM

That is amazing, thanks for sharing and glad it turned out well.

Sorry to be so ignorant, but could that have been a tame/trained working animal that was allowed to stroll around by its owner, or does that never happen?

What an experience to tell your family/kids etc and to have it on video.

Machog

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Hi Machog. Territory is probably the most important thing for large mammals so, any free roaming domesticated elephant in active wild population's territory won't last long. Also domesticated ones should not be allowed in protected areas for disease control reason.

Last edited by Ranti; 03-07-2011 at 07:16 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 PM

I missed seeing a kick? Thought sure he would kick over the unfortunate Versys behind the car. Here is a list of the most human deaths by wild animals:
http://listverse.com/2007/07/13/top-...eadly-animals/
Elephant is number 7, btw.

My Album:
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Very cool, was getting a bit nervous for the bikes sitting there as the elephant walked past. Hmm that just a bit bigger than cows i have seen walking down the road.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 PM

That is so wild! You guys had to be freaking out when he came towards you. I would be like, RUN AWAY - RUN AWAY!
Glad it turned out ok and the ride looks awesome.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
I missed seeing a kick? Thought sure he would kick over the unfortunate Versys behind the car. Here is a list of the most human deaths by wild animals:
http://listverse.com/2007/07/13/top-...eadly-animals/
Elephant is number 7, btw.
It was around 00.42, Element. I have to add that in general, human casualties caused by wildlife would be just a tiny fraction of what we perceive as normal ones. Car accidents, for example, in this 46 years old park must caused a thousand times more lives than tiger or elephant attacks. Being one of the most popular park in the country, its annual number of visitors remains at 7 figures since perhaps the 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Very cool, was getting a bit nervous for the bikes sitting there as the elephant walked past. Hmm that just a bit bigger than cows i have seen walking down the road.
Expand your Phuket trip and make it up here then! Promise I won't take you this close to the big cow lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
That is so wild! You guys had to be freaking out when he came towards you. I would be like, RUN AWAY - RUN AWAY!
Glad it turned out ok and the ride looks awesome.
Yes that's our instinct but sudden movements and noises will most likely provoke them. We simply parked too close and not getting panic is the best we can do. I truly admire the guy in the front for how he keep calm throughout. He's the one saving us from full-force attack.

Here are what happened after, first we tell each other how lucky we are that it turned out well:

Then those who witnessed it share our joy:

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thats is so cool, if i was there you would of seen one very anemic looking kiwi wanting to hid in the bush. That would of just been such an awsome experince.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe you guys should check out this thread.....

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...e+gun+fit+seat

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Maybe you guys should check out this thread.....

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...e+gun+fit+seat
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

You what i love about this thread, can't understand a word the boys are saying on the vid but can understand the universal excitement they experience as a group of riding buddies and if a big elephant was walking past my versys you would not understand a word of my English anyway i suppose as i would be repeating the word WOW and even saying it backwards
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
You what i love about this thread, can't understand a word the boys are saying on the vid but can understand the universal excitement they experience as a group of riding buddies and if a big elephant was walking past my versys you would not understand a word of my English anyway i suppose as i would be repeating the word WOW and even saying it backwards
Or you could turn WOW upside down and scream MOM..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Garage
Quote:

Who Me..............

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranti View Post

Expand your Phuket trip and make it up here then! Promise I won't take you this close to the big cow lol.

url]
This will be my first trip to your area this june and will be treated as a bit of a recon for a future bike trip and see how it all goes but if things work that we catch up great but will be limited time for us. fasto has been helping with our itinerary so if you touch base with him closer to time he will know our movements in your region

Phil
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Ranti.

from what I saw the elephant lifted the right leg and touch the bike-that a blessing.

On Phil trip to this side on the universe, the furthest he can make this trip will Had Yai as he is on a 2 week trip covering Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand so a bit tight to hit Phuket, but will see how it goes.

nice video and thanks for sharing.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Ranti.

from what I saw the elephant lifted the right leg and touch the bike-that a blessing.

as long as the elephant did not lift his leg and pee as that would of been messy
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
as long as the elephant did not lift his leg and pee as that would of been messy
elephant dont lift their leg to pee..I guess you haven't seen a elephant not in NZ.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
elephant dont lift their leg to pee..I guess you haven't seen a elephant not in NZ.

Only at a zoo and a circus but I would of been hiding in the forest had I been there and the boys would of been laughing at how quick a Kiwi can disappear
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
only at a zoo and a circus but i would of been hiding in the forest had i been there and the boys would of been laughing at how quick a kiwi can disappear
lmao:d:d:d:d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
khao yai national park, thailand, wild elephant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode