Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway

My brother and I will be riding back from Charlotte, NC to Pennsylvania using mainly the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was wondering if anyone else has ridden the whole thing and how long it took you. I don't think we are going to ride skyline, just BRP. Any "must stop" places along the route?

We will be leaving 3/27

-Kyle
'12 Super Tenere
'08 Versys
'07 KTM EXC 450

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-not making them right now, sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

I have not ridden the whole thing, just a 80 miles or so, starting from the south. Speed limit is low (40s) most of the way, and lightly patrolled, but it is patrolled. So if your going to do the whole thing plan on a good 12-15 hours of on bike time.

If your doing it on a weekend expect a lot of bikes, pedal bikes. Can be a real challenge to get around them if there in a big pack with a break down van following them.

Stopped at the Pigsah inn for lunch. Busy place, ok food, fast service and big portions. Turned off BRP just north of there on 276. 276 is real entertaining. Curves are so sharp with so much elevation change that cars scrape their bumpers on road, lots of gouges cut into the tarmac.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsMason71 View Post
My brother and I will be riding back from Charlotte, NC to Pennsylvania using mainly the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was wondering if anyone else has ridden the whole thing and how long it took you. I don't think we are going to ride skyline, just BRP. Any "must stop" places along the route?

We will be leaving 3/27
I assume you will be getting on the parkway at Mt. Airy...There are many "must see's" Natural Bridge would be one of them, also Mabry Mill...My favorite road anywhere You'll probably end up at front Royal.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

'15 DL1000

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 AM

The best riding is on the roads that cross perpendicular to the BRP...most any of them are good choices if time permits. VA 221 over to VA 311 is particularly tasty.

Give consideration to U.S. 219 thru WV on the way back. WVs BRP some say. And a mostly direct route back home.

Have fun and be safe.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately we don't have too much time to detour off of the BRP. We are planning on riding Sunday the 27th and Monday the 28th. Think we have enough time allotted?

-Kyle
'12 Super Tenere
'08 Versys
'07 KTM EXC 450

-not making them right now, sorry

Last edited by KsMason71; 03-07-2011 at 01:02 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:30 AM

Visit Mt. Mitchell as you'll go right past the entrance. If the weather is nice the views are awesome and even if the weather is just so so it's a neat ride to the top and there's a nice restaurant up there. Two days might be pushing it if you get into weather and visibility really drops and you're creeping along for several hours.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Linville Falls, N.C. is a great scenic stop, very close, if not on the BRP. Well worth the two minute walk, if you like scenic waterfalls, trees and mountain views.

+1 on the perpendicular roads, but in N.C. also.

Last time I was there, 9 years ago, I got a large amount of info on great local scenic roads from an older couple who ran the visitors center in Linville Falls. Great fun, but more time.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:38 AM

+1 on Mt. Michell. Must see.

Also, sometimes it is possible to beat the weather in that area. When I was last there (N.C. BRP), a wet rainy foggy system blew in from the East, so we did our riding on the roads on the West side of the BRP ridge. We had Sunshine all day!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM

Did almost the whole thing a couple of years ago. (One section was closed for repairs) Check out day 38 and 39 here: http://ctoons124.blogspot.com/
+1 on stopping at Mabry Mill.
If you start at southern end of the Blue Ridge, you absolutely HAVE to ride the Dragon first. It should only add an hour or two to your trip. If you've never ridden it before, it's worth using a vacation day for.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 PM

Used to live in Asheville and went hiking or cycling somewhere off the Parkway most weekends. There isn't a "bad stop" anywhere!

The one thing I would advise to watch for is FOG !!!!! With the warm weather in the area it could sneak up on you anywhere, anytime and be very heavy. For many miles.

Just be careful and have fun!

~ Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:31 PM

I've ridden from Front Royal VA to Cherokee on Skyline drive then the Blue Ridge. That is 579 miles total. The Blue Ridge is 469 miles total. We did it with two over night stops. One in Waynesville VA and the other in Stone Mountain North Carolina. Great trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode