Just got back from Colorado - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just got back from Colorado

My two sons and I just got back from riding the mountains of Colorado. We rode from the Royal Gorge to Mt. Evans and everything in between. We put the bikes in the truck for the trip up from Texas and I'm glad we did. We ran into some cold, wet weather high in the mountains and I got one heck of a cold. Anyway here are a few pictures.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
My two sons and I just got back from riding the mountains of Colorado. We rode from the Royal Gorge to Mt. Evans and everything in between. We put the bikes in the truck for the trip up from Texas and I'm glad we did. We ran into some cold, wet weather high in the mountains and I got one heck of a cold. Anyway here are a few pictures.
One of these days I want to come out that way. I am so glad that riders on these forums share there rides. Thanks for the pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Great pictures! Are your boys bikes DRZ400's? My brother had one and it was not very streetable, I see these ones are at least decked out with street tires and some exhaust. Still they do not cruise down the road like your Versys does I bet. Don't let them ride your Versys or you may end up on one of those Suzuki's for the rest of the trip next time!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by layfju View Post
Great pictures! Are your boys bikes DRZ400's? My brother had one and it was not very streetable, I see these ones are at least decked out with street tires and some exhaust. Still they do not cruise down the road like your Versys does I bet. Don't let them ride your Versys or you may end up on one of those Suzuki's for the rest of the trip next time!
My two sons bikes are the Suzuki DRZ400 SM (Super Moto) and are set up especially for the street. They will run, but not quicker than the Versys. They are younger and ride a wee bit harder than I do, but on the straight aways, I wave bye-bye.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 PM

dallasdon ,

Man Oh Man . You don't need me to say this but I am gonna say it anyway .

You have my attention and my admiration. Spending that kind of time with your boys could be nothing better for you or them and does us here on the forum darn near as much good as it does you guys . Building memories like that is absolutley priceless . My hat is off to you and your boys .
Thanks for bringing back so many fond memories . I lived in Aspen for 12 years and have been here in North Carolina now for 8 years . I miss that part of the country and will one day be back . I feel sure you have more photos than that so please post up . That's what were here for brother .
As for your boys and the SM's , what a great pick of a bike for young guys . Get them in the mountains on those things and tell me they aren't loving it . Hey , nothing at all wrong with the old man being on the V and showing those pups who is still boss , whether in the twisties or in the straights . Alghouh , it would also be my opinion to NOT let the boys get the V in their grimmy young paws . You might end up riding the SM home . LOL

Good job brother , good job to you and your brood of boys . What an awesome kitchen pass . Next time , invite us all . LOL

Wes...aka...PO-SLOKE
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO-SLOKE View Post
dallasdon ,

Man Oh Man . You don't need me to say this but I am gonna say it anyway .

You have my attention and my admiration. Spending that kind of time with your boys could be nothing better for you or them and does us here on the forum darn near as much good as it does you guys . Building memories like that is absolutley priceless . My hat is off to you and your boys .
Thanks for bringing back so many fond memories . I lived in Aspen for 12 years and have been here in North Carolina now for 8 years . I miss that part of the country and will one day be back . I feel sure you have more photos than that so please post up . That's what were here for brother .
As for your boys and the SM's , what a great pick of a bike for young guys . Get them in the mountains on those things and tell me they aren't loving it . Hey , nothing at all wrong with the old man being on the V and showing those pups who is still boss , whether in the twisties or in the straights . Alghouh , it would also be my opinion to NOT let the boys get the V in their grimmy young paws . You might end up riding the SM home . LOL

Good job brother , good job to you and your brood of boys . What an awesome kitchen pass . Next time , invite us all . LOL

Wes...aka...PO-SLOKE
I think that is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me and I am somewhat humbled. I have forwarded this to my boys and I know they will appreciate it also. You are right about spending time with them. I'm now 63 and want to spend all the time I can with them. I've already had one heart attack and have diabetes so every day is a gift.

My boys love their SM's and are really woe to make any kind of change so I think my V is safe for now. They do get a little riled when I pass them though! Last year I also had the SM, but the V has taken it's place this year.

I'm about to survive the cold I picked up and I think I'll live so here are a few more pictures of the trip. We went to Cripple Creek and went down 1000 feet into the Mollie Kathleen Gold mine. My oldest son also won about $900.00 on a penny machine with $20.00 invested. We made him pay for the gas the rest of the trip!

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:15 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 10:22 AM

Great pics and sounds like a great trip. I did some of Colorado this summer, Mt Evans for one. Stayed in a place called Leadville at 10,000', can highly recommend it for a base if you go back again.

You are right about the cold, I was there in August and it was freezing at the top. Plus it rained so hard on the way down, you could hardly see, heaviest rain I've ever experienced.

Machog
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 AM

As Po-Sloke stated, I'm in admiration of you as well Donald. Spending all that time with your loved ones (on a very cool bike trip none the less!) is absolutely priceless. Very nice pics, and report.

My hat is off to you sir!

Ride safe,
Jim
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackDaddy View Post
As Po-Sloke stated, I'm in admiration of you as well Donald. Spending all that time with your loved ones (on a very cool bike trip none the less!) is absolutely priceless. Very nice pics, and report.

My hat is off to you sir!

Ride safe,
Jim
Thank you so much for your kind words.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
Great pics and sounds like a great trip. I did some of Colorado this summer, Mt Evans for one. Stayed in a place called Leadville at 10,000', can highly recommend it for a base if you go back again.

You are right about the cold, I was there in August and it was freezing at the top. Plus it rained so hard on the way down, you could hardly see, heaviest rain I've ever experienced.

Machog
I used to live in Fairplay Colorado for about 6 years and am well familiar with Leadville and the area. We also went to Mt. Evans last year and drove by it this year. We were going to go over Independence Pass to Aspen but time didn't allow.

Congrats on your trip and I assume that like me, you had no problems with your Versys no matter what the altitude.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:46 AM

No problems with altitude or any other problems on Mt Evans and Independence Pass, plenty of power two up with luggage.

Only minor issue, first thing in the morning after the fast idle came off, it would stall at idle for first few miles, unless I blipped the throttle.

Congrats again on a great trip with your boys, as others have said you are a great Dad.

Machog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode