Took a Sunday stroll to Andersonville, Ga - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Took a Sunday stroll to Andersonville, Ga

First let me start by apologizing for the Crackberry pics...the wife will not let me use her cameras anymore since I drowned the last one on a trip to slay the dragon last year. I left my Rebel XT at work and this was an impromptu ride.

Like all my rides, I planned to start early in the day but did not get to leave until after noon chow. Andersonville is only about 40 or so minutes from my house and I wanted to take the long way soooo...at about 1230 I left out on my Versys. The trip there was pretty uneventful but nice and pretty. No twisties to tear into, but lots of pretty trees, bridges, and old buildings...None of which I took pictures of. I had told myself that if I could not take any good pics then I would not take any at all. (how selfish of me!) Luckily for yall I gave in once I reached the gates of Andersonville.

Once you enter the grounds you have a choice of going to the Cemetery, actual site of the prison, or to the museum. Well since this was my first trip I decided to visit the museum first to get a little background on what I was actually about to see.

Once inside the museum I caught a small film about how Andersonville came to be and about the horrible living conditions the Union captives had to endure. After I finished the short movie I perused about the museum reading about the history of POW's and MIA's throughout history. Being a Combat Veteran and proud Vet this museum really struck my heart strings. No crying or moping about, but just really soaking it in and appreciating the freedom that I love so much and the hardships that many have had to endure to secure our freedom.
I was anxious to get to the prison site so I made a quick head call and jumped back on the Versys to find the next site. A short drive around the museum and through the woods and I got my first glimpse of the huge field that at once was thought to be hell on earth! I'm sorry to report that there are hardly any reminiscent left of this once immense prison. They have a few historical sites marked with plaques and on the near side there stood just a corner of the wall. This is what the place used to look like all the way around! A huge wooden fence built out of the local pine trees indigenous to this region. What you see here is just a reminder of what it once looked like from the outside.

There is alot more to tell you and for you to see but like I said... the crackberry pics suck and this is something you need to see for yourself.

After taking in the prison site I rode a short ways through the woods to the cemetery. I have never seen so many graves in my life. They had it broken into four segments with huge statues and monuments to honor the dead. The mood was somber and although there were roughly 10-15 other cars & motorcycles around me, all I could hear was the wind blowing.

I decided that I had taken it all in and I was in the mood for some chow. I rode in circles for a few minutes before finding my way out of the park and into the actual city of Andersonville. It was not much to see, a few local antique shops and two huge black labs that tried to bite my heels as I rode through. I dialed up resteraunts on my Garmin and located several in Americus, Ga. The quick 10 mile ride took me from backwoods country to jumping city. I located a small mexican restaurant. El Hacienda, I think...I sat myself and devoured some carne' asada tacos, sweet tea, chips and dip.

The obligatory food shot...

After settling up w/ the nice waitress, I hit the road back home...the long way.

Hope yall enjoy!
Chuck

"The feeling isnt fear, its just telling you to move" Rancid

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse." Dad

09 Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Wolfman Expedition Large Duffel
Seahorse top box SE540

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 PM

Just one of many sad stories!

Glad you got to ride.

Thank you for your service!

Ride em if ya got em!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 AM

Nice trip. One of my dreams is to spend several months visiting as many Civil War battlefields and monuments as possible and Andersonville is, of course, on that list. Now all I need to do is win lotto so I can afford such an adventure.

And thank you for your service!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, It was my pleasure to serve. Kimel, when you win the lottery just let me know, I'll be your tag along. I will set up camp for you, do maintenance on your bike, and do all your navigation for the low low introductory price of (Best Dr. Evil attempt...One Million Dollars...muhahaha muhahaha muhahaha)

Just kidding, you fill my belly and my gas tank on my bike and I'll follow you around the world.

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse." Dad

09 Versys
Green

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Seahorse top box SE540

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 AM

You are on Jack! Now, just need to win lotto. Should be simple enough...right?

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
The picture of the graves is a very somber image indeed.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Should be Kimel...I'll go ahead and buy my winning ticket at lunch today, you buy yours and we will get together tomorrow to discuss this ride!

Kiwi, It was very somber and quiet. It was like time was standing still. You have to experience it first hand to fully grasp it.

09 Versys
Green

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Seahorse top box SE540

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Jack, love the pics, Love your attitude. And thanks from me and mine for your service!

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

It was my pleasure, thank you

09 Versys
Green

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Seahorse top box SE540

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode