2000 miles through Central Mexico - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2000 miles through Central Mexico

I've been reading a lot of lamentations on the cold weather and it's impact on motorcycling here lately, so I thought I'd post some pics with minimal commentary from a 2k mile ride I recently took around central Mexico. For those of you who are frozen in, I feel your pain.

We started out heading for the west coast at Manzanillo. Checked out San Felipe on the lake but didn't feel like riding 50 km 2-up on dirt.

Our first overnight stop was at Chapala.

Then on to the coast, overnighting at La Manzanilla. There was a great section of perfectly cambered twisties toward the end of the day's ride, but most of it was a never-ending story of construction and topes.

Rode up into the hills for lunch at Comala, then overnighted in Colima. I thought I'd take advantage of the free food provided with expensive beers on Comala's plaza, but having done so, I would suggest you'd do better to eat somewhere where food is reasonably priced, and drink beer somewhere cheaper as well.

Headed down the coast through a nice section of twists, and few topes.

And on to Zihuatanejo. If you ever get to Zihuat, try the camarones al coco, (coconut shrimp), and El Pulpo Feliz, (The Happy Octopus), located at the turnoff to Playa las Ropas. I dream about these shrimp. Costs about 80 pesos.

It was hot down at the coast, so we decided to head back to the mountains. During the ride the Versys was behaving funny and when we stopped for lunch it calved.

We headed up to Tasco.

Very steep narrow streets, and photogenic town. We got to see professional wrestling in the zocalo that night. Sorry, forgot to bring my camera.

The hill it's built on is riddled with colonial era and later silver mines. If you want to bring home a gift for your girlfriend or mother, this is the town to shop for it, although having said that, I rarely feel comfortable picking jewelry for a woman.

We then rode around Cuernavaca and made a lunch stop in Tepoztlan. It's a pretty expensive town, so we headed on to Pueblo where we encountered a grim reaper.

Then on to Veracruz, and by Mexico's highest mountain, Mt. Orizaba. I think it's around 17k ft. at the peak.

There was either a US navy ship in Puerta Veracruz with the crew allowed to go ashore in civvies, or it was some kind of skinhead convention.

I had originally wanted to explore the hills around the Veracruz/Xalapa area but my chain seemed to be self destructing. Admittedly I don't clean it often enough, although I do lube it religiously. I was having to adjust it every other day, (a lot), and was nearing my limit as to how much more I could adjust. I tried finding a new chain in Veracruz, (a new sprocket would be a pipe dream without a significant layover), but didn't connect with anyone with a quality chain.

So we decided to ride more or less back home to San Miguel de Allende.

Next: on north to the Costa Esmerelda.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by miguelito; 02-12-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Part 2

We headed toward the Costa Esmerelda. Nice sunny day.

Then the weather turned drizzly and we layed over for 2 nights.

Stopped at the ruins at El Tajin.

Then on to Xilitla. We skipped Edward James' place as the weather sucked a bit, and Xilitla is only a day's ride from where we live. Dianna had seen it before, and I decided I'd rather return when the weather was nicer. The ride from El Tajin to Xilitla was one of the most tope-infested rides I've done in Mexico.

From Xilitla, the ride was one of the best I've had in Mexico. A hundred miles of twisties, and speco scenery.

The Sierra Gordas are pretty much my home stomping grounds, and are just great motorcycling. Most of the roads are in excellent condition right now.

Even though we were within 25 miles of home, we decided to spend the night in Queretaro at one of our favorite hotels, El Seraphin, a couple of blocks from the plaza.

Queretaro is a big town, but el centro is very cosmopolitan, and pleasant.

Then back home. That's about it. One thing I know from this ride is what a great area this is in the central altiplano of Mexico. The west coast was too hot, and the east coast was cold, humid, and rainy. It's just about perfect for me here.

Here's hoping for an early spring for all of you guys and gals up in the frozen tundra to the north.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 07:11 PM

Central Mexico

Brief, intense, to the point. Let me know next time you get near Puebla - Tlaxcala.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snd75z View Post
Brief, intense, to the point. Let me know next time you get near Puebla - Tlaxcala.
Same goes for you if you get up to GTO.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 PM

Subscribed...

Mexico is very scenic. I had no idea there was a 17K' mountain! WOW!!

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mexico, miguelitoh2o, motorcycle, touring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode