Me < Smart - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Me < Smart

I work out of my home office. Sometimes I don't get out much, especially with the bad weather we've had in Dallas.

So today we have a reasonably warm day (it's 53 right now), so I decided to go for a quick ride to pick up a book at the library. What could happen?

Well, my alley way (we have rear facing garages) was mostly ice except for the sides. That was a bit scary. Had to drive off in the dirt right next to the concrete a couple of times. Kept my feet down.

Then there were patches of snow and ice on the roads in the shade. There were always good spots though, so no big deal as long as I kept my speed down and focused on the road. Except for just right before the library where I had to be in the right lane: I did maybe 20 feet on ice. Not good. Bike wobbled the whole way.

But when I got to the library, the ramp to the parking lot was not entirely clear. But I found one path up and was fine. Then I got into the lot and all of the spaces were just packed ice. I looked forward to the exit ramp thinking I would just head home, and it was ice too. and .

So I slid into one of the spaces, and found a dry spot to put my stand down and did a bit of breathing.

Went in, got my book and tried to come up with a plan to get out. There was a possible lane out if the three spaces to my left happend to all clear at once, which didn't seem likely.

While I was pondering another route out, a gentleman walking his dogs asked me about my bike. He said he followed me through the ice and was impressed with my skills. I thanked him but things were different from my perspective (I've been riding less than a year).

Anyway, after chatting with him for 10min, amazingly, the last car in the spaces to my left pulled out. I immediately hopped on my bike an walked it to the last space. I then got off and scouted out the exit ramp (down hill into the street). I thought I saw a slushy, rather than icy path (about 6" wide). So I gave it a shot.

No slippage, I made it out okay. Had a slow and careful ride home. And never want to ride in ice or snow again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:08 PM

Funny, I know exactly what are you talking about.

I was in the same situation yesterday. Just more rural.
I took a ride to a remote area where I didn't expect to find snow and ice. When I got further into the mountain pass there were places shaded from the sun by the hill side. Ice! I've been riding for little over a year now and was careful to avoid this substance under my tires but there was no way around it now. Somewhere, a car tires left a narrow dry line of passage but in one instance I had both tires on ice. A chilling new experience. Keeping high RpMs and easing the clutch felt right so I made it trough OK but very cramped. What I've quickly learned was that putting feet down wasn't just useless but also dangerous as the boots would not find any grip.
After a few patches I felt more confident but still very tense. Not a fun surface with the road tires.

Good on you for keeping it upright and staying cool.

Ride safe.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Sounds like you rode smart enough to keep yourself and your bike safe and you learned you don't want to risk doing that again. Sounds more like you = smart! Glad you came through fine.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 PM

Snow and ice in Dallas, Tx! It must be that global warming they're talking about.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 05:46 PM

Live and learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
Sometimes I don't get out much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0060.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	10083   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0058.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	10084  

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 02-11-2011 at 05:50 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

I did learn, that's for sure. I knew I didn't want to get out on the ice. Now I've learned to be sure there's none before I go out and that the world won't end if I encounter some: slow, steady, concentrate!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 09:57 PM

I'd like to ride a Can Am Spyder in the snow. Anybody ever done that?

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 12:25 AM

i did the same thing today. my street was dry, no ice in sight. didn't think about the ice in the shadows until that first turn at the end of the block. oh well, all's well that ends well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
yes, but it had tracks in the back instead of a tire. like a tank.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>

Last edited by kevrider; 02-12-2011 at 12:27 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 AM

Garage
Objectuser, good call on being so cautious. Around here, to stretch the season out as loong as possible, we often ride in some icy raods. Usually the morning commute, happy in the knowledge that the ride home will be warm and dry. And thats exactly what you have to do, look for tracks, use your feet, watch your speed and use caution.

I live in Canada, so I know how to cope with Winter, it just happens every year. So, I can't help but think of how much it's gotta suck to get freezing temps and snow in Texas!

Always trust your cape.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Nope, but I had a 1984 Can-Am Qualifier 400 that I ice-raced a bit during winters. With studded tires I pulled a wheelie across the Ottawa River, pretty much from side to side, near Hawkesbury, Ontario. That'd be about 3/8 of a mile!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The Smart thing would be to get a Kindle and read by the fire on days like that.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Element, here's a review of the Spyder, i hope this is not a repost. i haven't read it yet, but i did see the bottom line:

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, three is more than four but less than two, I donít care what your maths teacher told you.
i tend to agree -- i don't see the point. it offers all of the inconveniences of motorcycling (discomfort, gear, exposure), but without the main benefit (being good at something not everyone can do).

threadjack in progress.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode