Weather is too nice for the office.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Weather is too nice for the office....

So Cal is getting weirdly nice weather lately, so it was time to get outta the office and take the PM off for a quick trip up the coast to Santa Barbara County's Jalama Beach Park, just north of Point Conception. Jalama Road is 14 miles of slow twists and turns through oak studded canyons, with some flat fast valley bottom grazing fields tossed in for fun. Coming over the last hill is like "riding into a post card", as my friend Andrea said.

Usually the wind blows strongly off the Pacific, but today it was very calm. Just up the coast is Vandenberg Air Force Base, which is unusual because it's all about rockets and space and there's no airplane wings stationed there. When the big rockets like Delta's are lit, they close the beach park because it's too close to the action. When there's no rockets, it's dead quiet except for the coastal Amtrack and the sounds of gulls and hawks and wind. I had an enjoyable mid-PM snack and then it was time to turn back South again for home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00011-20110126-1431.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	742.9 KB
ID:	9959  

Someday is not a day of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DrTizz Send a message via Skype™ to DrTizz
Yeah, well, all that wind you were expecting is over here inland and howling. Glad you got out and got your ride on! Makes one feel bad for all the folks for whom winter lays low, eh?

<><><><><><><><>
2010 Versys ("Black Bengal")
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is an opinion...that means you, CNN!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 AM

I'm pretty much hating you right now. We just got hit with another 8-10 inches of the white $hit. The V is garage bound at the moment.

I can't wait for Egypt.

Nice pics though.

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know - the weather in the rest of the country is pretty miserable right now. On the other hand, we paid for good weather along the coast in advance, as last Summer was the foggiest one on record. The ocean temperature never got above 62F, and at the start of last summer was 52F...pretty chilly beach days.

Here's hoping to better weather for all and Spring rides in a few months....

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 AM

Lucky dog.
I was going to run to Mt. Baldy last Sunday and woke up to howling winds. Will try and make it happen this weekend.

BTW, Butler Maps has published their so-Cal edition. Nice piece.

The 20% off cards Extreme Supply was handing out at the bike show end on the 31st. Wifey and I went out to their store in Long Beach last Saturday to see what they had. They are NOT setup for walk-in sales, but I managed to get a pair of Sidi's for 20% off.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:50 PM

You one lucky dog dawg.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DrTizz Send a message via Skype™ to DrTizz
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Lucky dog.
I was going to run to Mt. Baldy last Sunday and woke up to howling winds. Will try and make it happen this weekend.
I'm with you Chris, had hoped to do Baldy last weekend as well (especially since its in my back yard), but got roped into taking some out-of-town friends up a fire road in the jeep instead. Still fun, but not quite so envigorating!

<><><><><><><><>
2010 Versys ("Black Bengal")
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is an opinion...that means you, CNN!"

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTizz View Post
I'm with you Chris, had hoped to do Baldy last weekend as well (especially since its in my back yard), but got roped into taking some out-of-town friends up a fire road in the jeep instead. Still fun, but not quite so envigorating!
Drop me a PM if you want to try and meet up. I'm not sure which day yet. Wifey has a guest and some plans....

I wanna try out them new boots.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 PM

Well, I didn't get the adventure rains, I got the sport rains. Didn't want to spend $300 on a pair of boots. If I end up doing some true adventure riding and not just road, I have a pair of TCX pro-comps I can wear. They are hinged but they're still MX boots - stiff, bulky, and big. (hmmm...that's what she said...). I was torn between Vendraminis and Aerostich but we've been short on funds after the wife's long unemployment stint. Sheesh!

The run from Ojai is a good one. A long time ago I took the road to Reyes Peak and rode it to the end. You can then hike into Sespe Wilderness where the condor preserve is. Good experiment for some dirt road for the V if you are into that. I did it on my 'strom when I had it.

Also rode out there from Frazier Park last year on the way to Laguna Seca for the races. It's beautiful up there. Can't remember the name of the town on top, but it's a quaint little village worthy of a stop for a break. Part of California's backcountry. Take some pics!

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

I think the town you're thinking of is "Lake of the Woods". Lots of summer cabins in there. Lockwood Valley Road runs from there to the H-33 (Maricopa Highway), and Cuddy Valley Rd (?) drops down from there to the H-166. Last time I was on that, a car full of teen boys had taken one of the hairpins too quick and were off the road...all fine, but looking for someone with a tow rope to get them back on before the CHP showed up, heh!

Reyes Peak is along Pine Mtn road, and unfortunately US Forest Service locks the big gate across that in the Fall and doesn't open it until they have to in Spring. When I was up the 33 a couple of weeks ago, there was still snow on Reyes Peak and ice in all the shady pockets along the upper elevations of the 33, but that's probably all gone with this weird warm weather.

I guess we gotta ride for everyone else in the cold country right now!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 PM

Garage
Riding in January... 'casue the weather's too nice to be at work... envy. Kawi Green With Envy. Nice Pic!

Always trust your cape.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 PM

Yep, that's the place. You know the area, very cool.

We met a couple that live up in Ojai and we were supposed to visit and bring the dirtbikes but just haven't. He races D37 Grand Prix's, prolly see them next weekend at the next event. (I'm not up for racing yet, would ride sweep though. )

We'll have to meet up and get a group ride going. LAVERSYS on here setup a ride last year and there were 6 of us and another dozen sportbike riders did the Angeles Crest Hwy run. Way too much fun.

I need to put together a group ride and campout over a couple-three days. Have a couple of destinations in mind, Death Valley and also Sherman Pass up out of Isabella/Kern. Has to warm up some for the latter. Maybe you'd like to co-sponsor?

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

OK, for all our forum buddies who are snowed in, I took some cellphone pictures of today's ride out the Highway 33 and Lockwood Valley Rd to Frazier Park, CA. See here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hp?albumid=279

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
OK, for all our forum buddies who are snowed in, I took some cellphone pictures of today's ride out the Highway 33 and Lockwood Valley Rd to Frazier Park, CA. See here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hp?albumid=279
Enjoyed your photos and descriptions
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 12:31 AM

Fantastic!

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 05:23 PM

Went on my own ride today up to Mount Baldy. Weather and ride was fantastic. Absolutely beautiful up there.

Album linky: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hp?albumid=280

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 06:44 PM

Beautiful shots.

My Album:
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Looks like you had a great day! Looks like the snow is barely hanging on. SWMBO dragged me up Gibraltar road behind Santa Barbara by bicycle today, over 3,500 feet of elevation (over 6,000 climbing) from starting near sea level. I kept thinking, man, I have to come back here tomorrow and ride this on the V and take some photos. The marine layer (high clouds mostly) started to roll in from the ocean, which dropped the temps a bit and obscured the views, but it was still pretty spectacular. A couple of paragliders were getting ready to fly just as we passed by their launch point. A lot of trees and plants are fooled into thinking it's Spring - they are flowering early. Hahaha, we know better. The (relative) cold days will soon be upon us again....

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Revenge strikes back

Here's some Schadenfreude, (a mischievous delight in the misfortunes of others), for those who are snowed in. The weather suddenly changed last night and here in SoCal we're looking at:

...RAIN AND MOUNTAIN SNOW EXPECTED ACROSS THE SOUTHLAND TODAY INTO TONIGHT...

A COLD PACIFIC STORM CURRENTLY CENTERED OFF THE COAST OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA WILL TRACK SOUTHEAST OVER CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA TODAY AND TONIGHT. SHOWERS ON THE CENTRAL COAST THIS MORNING WILL SPREAD INTO VENTURA AND LOS ANGELES COUNTIES THIS AFTERNOON. COLD AIR ALOFT ASSOCIATED WITH THE CENTER OF THE UPPER LOW WILL BRING A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORM TO THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON.

SHOWERS WILL END IN NORTHERN SECTION THIS EVENING...BUT SHOWERS AND A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS WILL CONTINUE ACROSS LOS ANGELES AND VENTURA COUNTIES THROUGH LATE EVENING. SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED TO END IN ALL AREAS OVERNIGHT TONIGHT...ALTHOUGH THEY COULD LINGER ON NORTH FACING MOUNTAIN SLOPES THROUGH EARLY MONDAY MORNING.

RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE GENERALLY EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM ONE HALF TO THREE QUARTERS OF AN INCH NORTH OF POINT CONCEPTION...AND ONE QUARTER TO ONE HALF INCH SOUTH OF POINT CONCEPTION.

SNOW LEVELS ARE EXPECTED TO LOWER TO AROUND 4500 FEET THIS AFTERNOON...AND TO 4000 FEET OVERNIGHT AND EARLY MONDAY. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO AVERAGE 2 TO 4 INCHES ABOVE 5000 FEET...WITH LOCAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES BETWEEN 4000 AND 5000 FEET. MAJOR ROADWAYS THAT COULD BE IMPACTED BY SNOW INCLUDE INTERSTATE 5 NEAR THE GRAPEVINE AS WELL AS HIGHWAY 33 IN THE VENTURA COUNTY MOUNTAINS.

Ah well, fun while it lasted. Lockwood Valley and the TopaTopa mountains will certainly get snowed. Maybe we'll get some good weather back next week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode