Labor day - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Labor day

Labor Day started out like most mornings. Got up excited about getting to ride on a day that is usually a work day. While getting dressed I heard a screaming sound coming up the road and I knew that it was James on his Gixxer 750. Did not call or anything just decided to take a chance that I would still be at home. Since I get out at around seven am he was pretty sure I would still be there. We took off for Dales in Suches for some coffee and to see if anyone else was out. The weather looked ominous and we thought it was going to start pouring rain at anytime so we got on the bikes and headed north on 60. We meet Woody at the Hardees in Ducktown Tn. and talked about the day ahead ,filled up with gas and headed out. We took Hwy. 64 towards Cleveland Tn. ,the traffic is always heavy on the weekends and holidays. No use to pass because you will not get very far until you catch someone else. Rafting the river is big business so you just have to put up with it. I try and go down it as early as possible to avoid as much of the traffic as possible. We rode down hwy 64 until we got to hwy 30 and then we headed north on 30. Such a great little road to ride. Just be careful because there are a lot of blind driveways. Run a pace that you can bring the bike to a halt in hurry if you have to. We always stop at the post office and general store at the junction of 30 and 315 and take a break. After taking a break and eating an ice cream sandwich we take hwy 315 to Tellico Plains. I crashed in 2006 on this very ride and I thought it would be my last ride. Head on into an utility pole but here I am riding 315 again ,maybe just a little slower now. We got to Tellico and stopped in at the Exxon for some sweet tea. They have great fried chicken but I passed today. Headed back out on hwy 68 south back towards Ducktown but instead of going to Ducktown we took 294 back to 64 and went to Murphy N.C. for lunch. I had the chicken wrap and it was great!!!!! After Woody consumed a couple of smokes we decided to take Martins Creek Rd back to 129. It is such a nice little road and I always enjoy riding through the country. Woody got bee stung and decided to go home. I took hwy 325 to Loving Road and then 60 back home. By then I was pretty much done for the day. Since my crash my back just will not let me do long days without some pain. All in all I would rate this day as perfect and cannot wait until my next ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Videos from the day.

This is hwy 68 in Tn. on our way back towards Ducktown from Tellico Plains.

http://media.putfile.com/Hwy-68-sout...Tellico-Plains

The best of all Hwy 30.
http://media.putfile.com/Hwy-30-on-the-Versys

Hwy 315
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...58602130&hl=en

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:08 PM

I went nearly the same way but backwards (starting out in TN) only a few weeks ago. Nice rides, indeed!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

A couple of pictures from the store at the junction of 30 and 315

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 PM

Great vids William!
Those are the roads we rode on sunday.

What kind of video camera are you using?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

JVC Everio it is not the best camera for using on a bike. Have to use an SD card and you just do not get the quailty vids that I like.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 08:54 PM

mountainrider ,
Thanks for the vids . Gave me something to think about for my next solo day ride .
I have to say that I appreciate your sense of rider spacing in that vid . Makes me edgy when everyone gets all bunched up sometimes .

I was over your way last weekend . I actually turned up towards Suches off the highway to Neals gap there at the resturaunt , but only went about a mile and turned back . I had already burned more daylight than I planned so I bailed . Wish I had know you were up there , I might have looked you up . Bear in mind though , I am a pretty casual rider in my old age . Sort of the site seer sort .Not a real fast rider these days . But would have looked you up anyway had I known .

Wes

Now that I think of it , I did see a Versys in that area the day I rode , don't remember where though . Just that I WAVED real big at it .

Last edited by PO-SLOKE; 09-03-2008 at 08:59 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

I did see a Versys on 315 ,two guys stopped and talking. Was that you?

I do not like riding on someones tail unless I plan to pass. Two wrecks in two years will change a lot of things you do.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 09:29 PM

mountainrider ,
Yes , that was most likely me on 315 talking to another rider . I saw a guy on the side of the road and it looked like he might be having a problem and stopped to see if I could help . He and I ran together for a few miles before he peeled off towards home .
I need to get back that way soon . The season is coming to a close sooner than I want to admit . I am really looking forward to the meet and greet at Wheels Through Time on October 11th . Maybe we can take a quick loop somewhere as a group then evryone peel off for home .
I am nearly completely night blind so riding in the dark is out of the question for me . Especially so far from home .
In fact , I should admit this now , because this is why I don't see at night very well . I had suffered some moderate cases of snow blindness several years back . It has left me with some focusing issues . I have good vision , but my focusing is not as responsive as most folks . Therefore , I am not always a fast as most of a group , in the twisties especially . I can still pass a DOT Hazmat physical no problem with my eyes , but I do use some caution . I like folks that ride with me to know that . Not saying I can't see , just don't see as fast as you do when things are whizzing past . LOL/LOL

Last edited by PO-SLOKE; 09-03-2008 at 09:32 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 AM

William, you ride a lot faster than it appears in the videos. They are great to watch, but having followed you for a day...I know! Great videos. Makes me want to get a camera.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
William, you ride a lot faster than it appears in the videos. They are great to watch, but having followed you for a day...I know! Great videos. Makes me want to get a camera.

I have been working on slowing down. The fastest I run was on 68 and mostly kelp it around 70 when possible. 68 is a fun road because you can get up to top speed if you want and then there are curves that are hard to make at 40 mph. So you have to stay on your toes

PO-SLOKE the season is far from over. Last year we did not miss but two weekends during the winter. The weather has changed so much that we do not or at least have not had any bad weather. A few days here and there. Used to we would start getting snow in Nov. but now we are lucky to see anything much until Jan. I guess global warming does have a plus.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

PO-Sloke you are at 10:30 in the Video.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:58 PM

Looks just like my thumb print on the Post Office wall . LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode