Lake Erie Circle Tour - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lake Erie Circle Tour

My weekend consisted of a 736 apr. mile trip around Lake Erie with a side trip to Youngstown Ohio to meet up with Renman69. Renman stopped by Niagara Falls several weeks ago and paid for dinner for me and my S.O. and I wanted to return the favor and hang out with Renman for a bit. It was the perfect plan for a perfect weekend.

I started out from Niagara Falls. I pulled out of my subdivision at 6:20 - a light foggy mist was in the air. The forecast predicted no rain and clear skies. It sure wasn't starting out that way. The air was cool though and the streets were void of heavy traffic. I arrived at the border at 6:30 and passed by Niagara Falls on the Rainbow Bridge. Customs only took another 10 minutes. Found the first Sunoco in the US - fueled up, bought some snacks and drinks (non-alcoholic) and headed for the 190. Worked my way through Buffalo and stopped in Lackawana - wanted to stop at 32 Wasson Avenue. If anyone has scene the movie Lackawana Blues - you'll know why. Not much there anymore - tooks pics and rolled on.

Worked my way to Ashtabula. The road there was quiet at that time of day, old lake houses and forgotten business establishments lined the roads. The roads weren't curvey in the motorcycle sense - more rolling and bending. You'd ride this for the solitude, the quiet and the scenery. Made it to Ashtabula by 11 and took Hwy 11 south to Youngstown. Met up with Renman69 - compared bikes and checked out the Renman69 Compound that includes three garages - this guy has it made! We had pizza with the Renman family and took our obligatory 'group' ride out to ShadeTree motorsports. One of Renman's favorite motorcycle haunts - I can see why. It's motorcycle farkle and gear haven. It was an hour from his house - beautiful country out there. We split there with me heading back to the lake to travel my Circle Tour.

Made it into the Detrout area around 8:00 pm. Stayed at the Motel 8 in Luna Pier. Not bad, nice and quiet and the room was clean. Had dinner at the local Gander restaurant - very nice. Was on the road by 9:00 am the next morning. Made a stop at The Henry Ford museum - the spouse wanted me to check something out at the gift shot. Crossed into Windsor using the Ambassador bridge. Road construction was everywhere. Used Hwy 18 and then 3 to work my way back to Niagara Falls. Beautiful weather.

The Versys handled the touring tasks perfectly. At 11,500 kilometers she's coming into her own stride. I love bring her RPMs up to 8k - the roar from her exhaust is very satisfying. I roared past a gagle of 8 cruisers coming out of Port Dover (famous for their Friday the 13th Bike Fests) at a snails pace.

I arrived back in Niagara Falls at 5:30 pm with 11,500 kilometers on the odo. The total trip was 1214 kilometers/731 miles.

Hope everyone got their V's out this weekend and had a great time as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Sounds like you had a great weekend.
I was stuck working 12 hr night shifts but I got up early in the aft and my S/O and I went for a short tour each day.
Next weekend over to Owen Sound each day for the bike training at Georgian College....supposed to rain all weekend at least we will get some wet riding practice/training.
muskie
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

What kind of work do you do? Sounds intense.

Good luck on your course next week. They run those courses rain or shine - I was fortunate enough to do both without the added pleasure of riding in the rain. They are stressful enough without that.

My only advice is to take appropriate gear for the conditions and plenty of snacks/drinks. Stay as comfortable as possible. I didn't bring a hat with me on the first day and I wished I did. I fried out in the hot scorching parking lots between exercises.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM

Industrial Milwright by trade just like my Pa.
He used to work at the Cyanamid in it's "heydays" the sixties. His father was a electrician there. My grandparents used to live on Cedar St. just off Stanley??? Near the big cemetary (where they now reside).
Not much left of Cyanamid now is there???
When I was a tot we would spend summer weekends at the Cyanamid family pool.
muskie

muskie
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskie View Post
Sounds like you had a great weekend.
I was stuck working 12 hr night shifts but I got up early in the aft and my S/O and I went for a short tour each day.
Next weekend over to Owen Sound each day for the bike training at Georgian College....supposed to rain all weekend at least we will get some wet riding practice/training.
muskie
Is your Versys Orange? I just bought a Candy Plasma blue and have only seen 2 other Versys near Hanover, Ontario, another blue and an Orange in Owen Sound. How was the course? I am taking it Sep 19.

Randy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydesjardins View Post
Is your Versys Orange? I just bought a Candy Plasma blue and have only seen 2 other Versys near Hanover, Ontario, another blue and an Orange in Owen Sound. How was the course? I am taking it Sep 19.

Randy
Mine is red. I'm taking the course this weekend (starts tonight).

A fellow my wife works with has a red one as well I have forwarded her the link to this site, maybe he will join as well.

You should post a thread in the member intros section...mention Ontario in the title...We plan on having a Ontario ride soon.

My wife and I have been taking daily rides thru Pinkerton, Glammis and Lovatt, New pavement from one end of Pinkerton to the other. Got stopped by R.I.D.E. in Glammis on Sunday "I'm not drunk officer I'm just new" Ha Ha.

muskie

Last edited by muskie; 09-05-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode