Two Up Survive Brp Crash - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Two Up Survive Brp Crash

I suppose this is my ride report for the day . A bit on the amazed yet stunned side of thought after it was all over .
Anyway , I jumped on the Versys today for a spin . I found myself over in Maggie Valley again bumping about after lunch at Legends Sport Bar ( great place by the way , good food and friendly staff ) . I took 19 up to the BRP . That has become probably my favorite road ride on the Versys . Lots of really long sweepers an plenty of short twisity stuff . After hitting the BRP , I suddenly realized I must have been in one of those traffic pockets where I was seemingly the only thing on the road for several miles . Coming up the long hill with some really good sweepers and awesome pavement , I thought I would give it a bit of a push .
Tooling along North Bound , around 60+ mph coming up on the sweeper next to the cliff line at the 439 mile marker , I am pretty much at my personal peak for speed and lean . Leaving myself very little for margin of error for my personal skill level . About the time I am really getting some decent G's going on , here comes a big ole' whopping' Cruiser south bound . Two up , riding a Suzuki Boulevard 109C . Dang pretty bike too .
Never the less , as I get a bead on him , I realize and tell myself , " this guy ain't got the first sign of a lean on that monster " . He suddenly leans hard left and lows sides . Apparently he was target fixed on the view and did not see the sweeper he was barrelling into . The front wheel knifed into the dirt hard . Knifing in like it did must has really given the thing a whirl because the rear end came around fast and started sliding hard down the shoulder . Obviously , some of his shiney chrome farkles made good grip with the shoulder , and the bike began to barrell roll back on to the road .
Both the man and the woman were hung up on the bike and were barrell rolling like rag dolls with the bike . Finally the bike let them loose and starting sliding down the road and let them go . They scattered about in what looked like nine directions but were at least no longer connected the the beast . As the bike was sliding , it became apparent the D*** thing was looking to cross my path right through me .
Talk about pucker factor . Considering the hard lean I was in , the speed I was moving , and again , my skill level , THE BRAKES WERE NOT AN OPTION !!!!! I fortunately made the correct decison and gave the throttle one good hard twist . ( Now I am pissing my pants ) .
I really didn't feel like I had much left as far as lean goes , but the Versys handled it like a champ and darted through there like a friggin rocket . Luckily , I had been winding her pretty good at around 6K rpm primed for some serious torque , and the V loves to be throttled hard at aroung 5500-6000 . . Man I was pround of her .
The Boulevard cane within a bout 2 feet of me and was still sliding hard . I shot around the curve , stood on the brakes , whipped back around the curve , with still not another vehicle in sight . Pull off the road and as I assess what I have to deal with , I am standing there all alone with TWO lifeless bodies and a motorcyle scattered about in a curve known for speed . I dash over to the man because he is stretched out across the yellow line . Still , no signs of life . I say " $%^ " !!!!
Just as I kneel down to get a grip on this guy and drag him out of the friggin road , all I could hear was tires squeeling and horns blowing . Traffic suddenly had found me and it was about to really go to hell in a hand bag and I mean in fast a hurry . Luck again is on my side . The cars get stopped and a guy jumps out and I yell to him , " MAKE THE CALL , MAKE THE CALL , TWO DOWN ON NO SIGNS OF LIFE " . Two cars are thinking fast and go to head off more oncoming traffic into the curve . Whew , I now have help and the road is blocked , I think .
As I reach down to drag the guy , he starts trying to get up . Thank GOD , this one is alive . I help him to the shoulder of the road and make him sit down as I check on his wife . As I reach down to get a pulse , she graons a bit , then raises her head looks me straight in the face . WHEW , two live ones . Man , things are looking up fast .
I look back up and of course , I have a bikers mindset on my hands and this guy is trying to stand his bike up . MAN !!!!! I go over to him and politely ask him his name , he says Ron . I say ." Ron , don't be upset with me " , ( and then I yelled at him ) " GET YOUR ASS OVER THERE , SIT DOWN AND OR LAY DOWN AND DON'T MOVE " The bike will be fine . He smiles , and tries to lift it again . Then it came to mind , these two were knocked out for few minutes and really weren't gonna be able to think for themselves . By now , I have two ladies helping him find a place to sit and MADE him stay there . Dang biker at heart that guy was . LOL
Anyway , after injury assessment was done and over with , Ron , ( now my new pal ) was pretty eaten up with road rash . Do I need to tell you what his ATGATT consisted of ? Wifey , aka .... Linda is knoced pretty goofy and seems to have a broken ankle .The local Volunteer rescue was pretty quick on scene ( thank goodness ) .
Shaken up pretty good , I ended up doing the accident report , talk to the Ranger , call the wrecker , wait on said wrecker and ended up feeling like a resident of that curve . Ron Rides with Linda to the hospital and I now am the temporary proud owner of a NEW Boulevard . At least till the wrecker gets there . The Ranger asked me if I would ride teh Boulevard up the road and bring it back around to a safe spot so I get to ride my first Boulevard . I really can't say I can give the Boulevard a fair ride assessment until I ride one that doesn't have a horrible rattle and has straight handle bars . But it was pretty comfy and BIG .
All that to say ..... the ride down hwy 215 and all it's twisties was a gingerly one in the downpour I now found myself in nearly all the way home . Sounds like they are gonna be ok , but this was a close one and I am sure they will both be quite sore .
In the past I have picked up several strays along my way and am prone to do that , but I think I will wait quite a while before I make freinds in this fashion again . Just thought I would put this out there as my todays ride report . Talk about a sudden mishap . Skeert the crapola outta me two . Quite the helpless feeling with what first strikes you as two dead people and noone to help , in the middle of NO FRIGGIN WHERE .
See you guys tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:18 PM

Well done Po-Sloke! Glad you managed to miss the projectile!

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:21 PM

Well done Mr. Good Samaritan!

Close call...but glad you pulled through! I'm sure that will come up in a week's time when we meet! I hope the weather gods are smiling next weekend with 70 deg temps and no rain!

Cheers

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:49 PM

That was an incredible story. Bet that's a site you won't ever forget. They were lucky you were there.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 09:29 PM

Crash

That must of really been something to have happen on your ride. I take it they were both wearing helmets. I live in Pennsylvania and you don't have to wear a helmet. From what you said without helmets they probably wouldn't have survied. I bet their helmets have some real good scratches in them. Here in Pennsylvania I'd say at least 3 out of every 4 Harley riders doesn't wear a helmet. When it comes to the Japanese bikes I rarely see a rider without a helmet. I always wear mine as I'm heavy on the throttle and like to ride hard. I'm glad to hear they both lived and hopefully don't have any serious injuries.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:09 AM

Sounds like a good day gone bad. Thank you for staying and helping. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

wow.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:43 AM

Incredible.

That is what I worry about - is the cross overs. YOU are one lucky rider! They were lucky to have you there looking out for them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Well done!! I've been first on the scene before.
Not fun.
Hope everyone recovers ok.
muskie
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:24 PM

dern slo.......that was some ride u took....glad u ok .....
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Well , I gotta tell ya . That scen\e has played over and over in my head 10,000 times since it happened . All I can think of is just how many pieces that beast of a bike would have cut me into had it hit me like it was coming at me .

WHEW . I got some serious lucky star action that day HUH ?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 05:06 PM

Give yourself and your V a pat on the back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode