finally dropped her - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
finally dropped her

Got your attention now but that happens at end of day. here is the link to my journey below, not very fluid with google maps so hope link okay.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...3,4.916382&z=8

Was a warm day at home and decided to go for a long ride and visit my wife who had been on a horse trek and thought if i arrived where she was about 7pm they would all be back from there trek. I live about where point 1 is and she is staying at C on map. As you can see i went the very long way around but wanted to go past all the hydro lakes as due to high lake levels a lot of water is being spilled and makes for a impressive sight.

Things did not start out that good as the first big electronic sign not far from my place warned of high winds but for some reason the camera does not pick that up.

Lake Pukaki spilling over

Quickly stopped in at twizel but decided to push on and have a bite to eat at Omarama.

Just past Omarama at the very top end of lake benmore http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Benmore

Next few pic's are of lake Benmore spilling water and me on top of dam

Now having been playing with Vid of my new camera but sorry Ivan am a very poor cameraman haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NWFB...ayer_embedded#!
Now found a road that goes on the opposite of the lake from the main road and went on that for a while until it comes to the Aviemore dam and then you drive back across.

The last stop was one of the oldest dams Lake Waitaki, the sign show the terrain i have just been around.http://www.beautiful-waitaki.co.nz/i...dams&Itemid=56
Now after all the photos and stops around the dams it is time to make a run to catch up with my lovely wife where she is staying on a large high country farm. The road in was brilliant, narrow and twisty only the last 3km were gravel so it was all good.

Now we finally get to the place where you can all laugh. parked the bike on the grass and put my helmet on the bars and to my shock horror over she goes, must of not put the stand down right. Everybody looks out the window and the first thing i do is get my camera out and start to say **** happens.

But do not fear my fellow versys brothers 'The mighty V" is okay, not a scratch, dint or bend. The only thing that moved slightly was the left hand barkbuster but only have to loosen screws off and reposition it, it seem to take the knock.

Now only had a couple more dramas on way home but that was from various stock wondering sides of road including some cattle and sheep, think all the farmers are still recovering from new years and the final thing was a silly rabbit that run in front of me, he had gone to one side to safety but suddenly darted back and was killed my a versys front wheel, went back to get road kill of the road as the rabbit had ended up in dangerous place for any vehicle coming around the corner especially for the two wheeled types.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 01-02-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Nice pictures of the dam and spillway but not so good picture of the V down. Glad all is Ok and the mighty V is Ok too.

By the way , how did you lift it up . I couldn't and My Red rescued me out of the situation. if you had side bags she wont be flat down that much.

take care buddy and glad all is well.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Damn you and your opposite weather.
I just came from a bleak and cloudy 0-5℃ ride. I had to stop in the mountains to warm up my hands and get the blood going. Cold and poor road conditions are exhausting.

Nice pictures, Phil. I'm glad that the new camera is working well.

If you are ever to drop the bike that is how it should be done. No worries now.

Cheers.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Happy New Year mate... Your pics a spectacular keep em coming... Speedys flat foot if you dont already have one the difference is remarkable & the V is way more stable.. If you ever come to C.or S. America we have a nice place you can stay along with some amazing riding areas... Bulldozer

09 Versys
08 V2K aka The Beast
09 Voyager its cushy and smooth
08 V 900 hers and all tricked out
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

More goodness from down under! Looks like the V just needed a quick rest is all...

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 AM

She had a soft landing... Glad you A-OK!
Nice pics and keep them coming...

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 10:41 AM

Glad to hear that it wasn't a hard landing! Nice pics too!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Wish I could borrow your weather, 18 degrees right now. Southern Hemisphere riders keep posting ride pics!

My Album:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Absolutely fascinating place you live. Really enjoy your reports. Most glad yer bike is Ok.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 12:35 PM

Thanks for posting the nice pics kiwi 41. Glad to hear the bike is scratch free, but hey tip overs happen. As much as those moments suck bikes occasionally take a dirt nap.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 02:46 PM

nice pics - the V was made for your terrain

Foo Fighter Rider
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Nice pictures of the dam and spillway but not so good picture of the V down. Glad all is Ok and the mighty V is Ok too.

By the way , how did you lift it up . I couldn't and My Red rescued me out of the situation. if you had side bags she wont be flat down that much.

take care buddy and glad all is well.

I think what helped was the grass was slighly uphill and I did get it up myself even with a crowd watching
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

On the subject of nice weather, still had my rain suit on for half the trip as it was light drizzle at times but did not really need the suit on but when you cruise around the hills you never no but we have 4 seasons not in one day but in a hour at times as when left home it was hot norwest winds and was above 25 celsius or 77 F but even in the light rain it was not cold.

Got to go for a ride soon as a friend has txt me who owns a moto guzzi wants to go for a ride with his new lady friend and i coming as chaperone haha just kidding

This pic was supposed to be in above showing hydro map

Last edited by kiwi 41; 01-02-2011 at 03:39 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Wow! That is a lot of water moving past those dams Kiwi. And your parking lot drop of your bike hardly counts in the pantheon of bike drops. BTW, I did the same thing last summer when I stopped to check my map. [Thought] I put my kickstand down, stepped off, and watched her fall at my feet.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 PM

Lol didn't see this until you commented my pic. Should we have a thread for dropped V pics now? Anyway I am seriously thinking of riding down to meet you guys in Phuket. Must be fun!

Life is short, ride long.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:21 PM

I love visiting dams. You got some great shots. Glad to see the V survived unscathed. Lost a clutch lever and had to take the pretzel out of the shifter on my Nighthawk when it went down. It made it home without having to fix anything though

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:50 AM

OMG Phill, saw you report heading and expected the worst, but hey, I have done exactly the same on my bike when a friend of mine came off. Tried to get off my bike quick to help, only to find the terrafirmer was not as hard as I would have liked..... Ended up going over then down a ditch! Pride dented and a few scratch's was as bad as it ended up, I did invest in a MudBug kickstand support, which has paid for itself several times since, try Trademe.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 PM

Good shot of what the exhaust system looks like underneath.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysxxx View Post
Good shot of what the exhaust system looks like underneath.
There's looking at the bright side!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode