Planning my first big trip on the V. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to seattlekiwi
Planning my first big trip on the V.

In planning for my first big trip on the Versys. a good tour of Pacific Northwest, hitting pavement and forest roads in WA, ID, MT and OR. about 2500 miles over 8 days.. travelling with an F800GS and another friend who looking to buy a Versys . When done.. will get out a trip report with photos of teh bike and scenery !! This will test what i can do with the versys i think. If anyone has done these roads on a versys and has any advise to offer.. please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	9684  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All who wander are not lost
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
All the best with your trip mike, you will be able to show the BMW how it is done on the good roads at least.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:06 AM

Congrats on the trip, nothing like taking off with some buddies for an extended journey. Kind of hard to tell what the roads are in the attached image, can you Google Map it?
When do you plan to go?
If you're talking about summer no reason to miss the North Cascades Hwy, one of the great ones! Maybe you get to ride it all the time being up that way?

My advice is to research the route, stay off the slab, and keep it flexible.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 AM

Sounds like a great trip! CJH137 and I were in that area last summer and had a blast! I second what the Baron says above...the North Cascades Highway is awesome. There's also a road in NE Washington called "The Flowery Trail Road (Ya I know, not the best name ever). It runs east from Chewelah over the mountains to Cusick (NW of Newport) and despite it's hippie name it's an awesome road. Huge elevation change in a short amount of time, tons of twisty pavement and spectacular views. We spoke to a local in Twisp Washington who rode a KLR and he said there were tons of nice gravel forestry roads in and around the Twisp/Winthrop area too.

-Whitey Jr
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:25 AM

Hope you're not leaving till the spring thaw mate! My 2: Just about any road in central or north Idaho will be great. Lolo Pass esp. I think you have to ride Beartooth Pass if you get to MT, or they confiscate your bike. Yellowstone Park is beauty, but the tourist traffic almost makes it wort by-passing. Have a great ride.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 05:41 PM

Can't tell from your map but just north of Bonners Ferry is hwy 2 east. Just over the border into Montana is Hwy 508 which becomes NF95. Yaak River road. Hard to find on some maps. Paved the whole way. Dops you in just south of Rexford. One of the absolute best roads in the northwest. You will be on top of the world with views that rival Glacier National Park. Better yet, you will be the only ones out there.

I have done 80K in the Western states and I tell everyone they have to ride the North Cascade Hwy, hyw 20, across Washington. Fantastic.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM

NorthWest Passage

This particular versys covered 3,000 mi. in July 2010 on a trip from Seattle, through WA, ID, OR, MT, and WY., including Glacier and Yellowstone Parks. There are countless awesome roads. One pictured is by the roadside on the road to Lolo pass. It's the only place I've seen a yellow road sign with the squiggly arrow saying "next 78 miles"! The other pictures are to show the Versys set up for touring.camping. The bike performed flawlessly and was the only 650 among litre and bigger bikes. It does need an aftermarket seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Versys w pelicans R side.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	973.9 KB
ID:	9776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Versys with Pelican cases L R angle 004.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	902.1 KB
ID:	9777   Click image for larger version

Name:	WD-2010-waiting for David.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	854.8 KB
ID:	9778   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0212.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	9779   Click image for larger version

Name:	WD-2010-ph-1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	871.5 KB
ID:	9780  

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 PM

Boy that is one pimped out V. Lots of reflective stuff. Can never be too careful. Corbin seat is on the way from former V owner in Fl.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 PM

Hy 12 Idaho. Looking Glass Highway from East Glacier to St Mary MT. Hy 2 along south side of Glacier Park. The Yaak and both sides of Lake Koocanusa in MT. Stanley to Banks ID. If you have time see Elk City Idaho. Wonderful road in and gravel to Darby MT.

It's all good,,, just go!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:59 PM

Jaysus, Mary and Joseph you've got a lot of stuff on that bike!

What did all that gear do to your handling? Fuel economy?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys for all the suggestions.. i will take a look at them and see what i can fit in.. def looking at lolo hw, and going to elk city and darby. 2nd versys has been procured.. so it will be 2 versys and a F800... i am looking at yaak rd out of bonners ferry yes. ending at rexfod... i will see if i can figure out how to get this into google maps.. not sure how to do that.. lemme take a look...

All who wander are not lost
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and safe journey.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 08:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Sounds like an awesome trip....get a GPS tracker so we can follow you on your journey. One these days I want to do a trip like that.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

We are now up too 3 v's.. Thanks to sellers in Portland.. The BMW will be well outnumbered !!! Also have a mate from NZ that will be following in a jeep wrangler. An unplanned and welcome beer transporter.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlekiwi View Post
We are now up too 3 v's.. Thanks to sellers in Portland.. The BMW will be well outnumbered !!! Also have a mate from NZ that will be following in a jeep wrangler. An unplanned and welcome beer transporter.
Sounds like thing are coming all together nicely, the jeep driver has a very important job of keeping the beers cold!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 PM

The trip record won't be as slick as what our Canadian friends Wuitey and Hammy produce but we should have some pics and video of the adventure. It's an international crew from the US and NZ out in the backwoods of the Rockies. Should be an amazing time.

Let he who speaks the truth be given a fine horse -- for he will need it to flee.
--Afghan proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode