Moore Friendly Tassie Tour 2011 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Moore Friendly Tassie Tour 2011

Hi guys

We plan on going on a two week ride around Tasmania (Australia ) in March 2011.
There will be be some tar roads, some gravel, some dirt and some off road stuff happening. I'm a wee bit excited.

Anyhoo, just wondering if you can give me some suggestion as to what gear I should be taking with me. As in repair kit stuff, fuses, etc. This will be my first long trek and want to make sure I have some items handy that should be able to get me out of trouble if need be.

I am going with a much more experienced rider (the boyfriend). He will be riding a BMW GS 09, so he will be doing all the repairs. He is pretty handy like that, amongst other things.

It will be a battle royal.. BMW vs The Versys He does have the advantage with some odd 15 years of riding under his belt and me with only 1, but hey, I am determined to do all, see all and have fun. Oh and make him get off his bike and ride mine if the going gets too tuff.

Any suggestions, tips and well wishes would be greatly appreciated. I have even designed a tour logo that I will be putting on some caps and shirts. I so amuse myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tassie tour logo 2.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	9633  

Cheers
Elgin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Four wheels move the body.. Two wheels move the soul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 AM

Some things I add to my toolbag (other than the usual tools)uct Tape, Electrical Troubleshooting Pen light, Small Flashlight.
Sounds like a fun tour.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5058378088/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
With some of those roads you will encounter it may pay to have a more off road tyre on the Versys, and don't try to compete with the GS off road as the BMW is better in the the dirt than the V ( not everyone here will agree, but had a GS before the V) but on the sealed roads your 650 will hold its own against the 800cc GS and is probably a lot more nimble on good road conditions.

All the best with your trip.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks for that.
The tyres are one thing we are currently researching. They are a definate to be changed. Also thinking about a bigger windscreen.
I think you are right Kiwi41, it will be more like he will haveto slow down to keep up with me. I will ride at my own pace, i think that is the best thing to do.
He loves the Versys. He took it for a ride yesterday and came back saying how mcuh fun it is, great round corners, light and just way more responsive that his "heavy" BMW which i belive is a 1200. with me bringing my bike into the family, he now has two to ride, well three if u count his Husky. He thinks its great

What about a bash plate?

Cheers
Elgin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

A radiator guard would be a good thing to put on the V (done on mine)

Good thing to ride at your own pace, my wife rides a cruiser and we ride around south island NZ and there are some tricky roads at times but she always for safety reasons rides at her own pace. Some of the more tight twisty roads my versys just takes off on its own and i will wait for her down the road.

If boyfriend has the 1200cc then it is quite a bit different than the V but like i said before you can't beat the nimbleness of the Versys. When my wife rides my v she calls it idiot proof as it just rides twisties on auto pilot as is very forgiving on mistakes unlike her cruiser!

Last edited by kiwi 41; 12-14-2010 at 04:38 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Woohoo.. love the radiator guard. think i need o get myself one of them

I am hoping the v is idiot proof. I need all the help I can get. And he loves it cause of the nimbleness of it. He keeps saying its so mcuh fun and loves taking it out for a spin.

We are now looking at Pirelli tyres and a Givi larger screen for him. ( of course my bike is a he) it would seem wrong for me to sit on a girl I think I shall call him Benji... or Loti ... hmmmmm he is that nice shade or orange with a bit of black.

Looking at Pirelli MT60 front and Scorpoion trail for the rear.

now just have to source where to buy.

Cheers
Elgin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

I am running pirelli angel on rear (it is mainly a road tyre) but you may be better with a pirelli MT 60
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:39 AM

It will sure be a beautiful trip. Studied in Tassie for a year.
Superb scenery all around. Don't miss the Gorge near Launceston.
http://www.puretasmania.com.au/default.asp?pID=120

Knobby tires are preferable.
Conti TKC 80: http://www.conti-online.com/generato...tkc_80_en.html
Avon Distanzia: http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/distanzia

Enjoy your Trip...

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Knobby tires are preferable.
Conti TKC 80: http://www.conti-online.com/generato...tkc_80_en.html
Avon Distanzia: http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/distanzia

Enjoy your Trip...
She said they were looking at pirelli's so may the MT 60 would be a good grippy tyre in the pirelli range but would wear down pretty quick.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:02 AM

True, Phil. Pirelli MT60 is also a good choice.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...pirelli-tires/

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 01:30 AM

Even though you probably won't be riding after dark I'd recommend upgrading your headlamps: Originally Posted by invader
Osram's Hyper H7 clear 65 watt bulb (bigger H9 burner on H7 base) from their high-wattage rally and professional offroad bulb

I've been to Oz but never Tassie. Have a great ride and post pics.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:25 PM

I had a great trip in Tassie. Check out the mountain viewpoint above Hobart. Hobart's fun to walk around in and shop. I got to put my hand in a tame wallaby pouch at Cradle Mountain. :-0 The town of Strahan is touristy and strange. Take the harbor tour there. Fraser National Park is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. The beaches and ocean look very alluring, until you realize the ocean is Alaska temperature!

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
All the best and keep us posted .

Wish you a safe journey and enjoy your ride at your own pace. Keep you eyes on the road and you should be good.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 06:18 AM

Hi there Elgin.... if I can sugest something for your Versys... is too fit some "sliders" on your bike... my dear son Dion rode my Versys when I first bought the bike a year ago and unfortunately dropped it (in the drizzle at low speed)and it cost him some $350.oo to replace the scratched bits BUT - we got them at trade price via my daughter Sian working for Peter Stevens motorcycles in Adelaide... (counter price was nearly 660.oo) the cost of frame sliders (front wheel - mid frame and rear wheel ones) cost me about $120 all up (brand new off eBay easy to fit too!) - would've paid for them selves the first time the bike (unfortunately) was dropped... also re: tyres I've just fitted a 150/70/17 Bridgestone BATTLEWING BW502 rear tyre and have been told that they are an EXCELLENT touring tyre... (I paided $260) they're well treaded and I feel a lot safer than the orginal Dunlop Sportmax that was on it even though the Sportmax still has some life after 12,000ks.. the radial Battlewing just feels 1000% better.... good luck with the ride.... catchya Andreas

Last edited by Andreas56; 01-02-2011 at 06:21 AM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Hey ya all

You are correct miguelito, I wont be riding at night, its way too dangerous.. the animals in Tassie are feral!! lol A lot of animals come out at night and I just couldn't bear the thought of hitting one of them .. or them hitting me. We shall be off the roads by dusk. Just safer all round.

Saw a post on advrider about a guy riding round tassie and he did a skinny dip in the ocean at the top end of Tassie... I laughed and thought man he was keen and then thought.. hmmm.. what a great thing to do.. so that is on our agenda... no photos necessary of that bit I think. My b/f might get embarrassed esp if its too cold hahaha

Hi Andreas...Sliders are already fitted. I made sure they came with the bike before it got trailered out of the shop. This is my first bike ever and I didn't want to scratch it too badly, as i just knew i would drop it at some stage. and guess what? second day i layed it down on a corner and it saved so much damage on the bike. They got scratch and the barkbuster hand guards but nothing else. Money well spent. I have given up worrying about dents and scratches, as I am sure by the time I get back from Tassie, there will be a few more to add to the collection. Nothing of course dine by me, just just by stone chips etc. I dont plan on laying the bike down again... well that's the plan.

I have just recently added to my V a perspex headlight protector.. nice fit and moulded to the light which is great. looks good..
A Givi windscreen. no more wind noise and head buffeting.. which is also great
Next month, or possibly this month, will see a radiator guard, skid plate, fender extender and rear mud slinger..
I think I am good to go!!!
62 more sleeps

Cheers
Elgin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:10 PM

Took the Hobart - Cradle Mountain - Launceston trip four years ago and love it. My suggestion would be with all the gears in place, try a one day test ride. One of my mates got his trip partly ruined not knowing his GOPRO cam was pointed too low. The cam has no screen so he only found that out at home back from the trip.

Life is short, ride long.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode