Member Rides Show off your Versys...

4Likes
  • 2 Post By larrydevlin1770
  • 1 Post By larrydevlin1770
  • 1 Post By larrydevlin1770

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Broke in the bike on a 3850 mi trip

NJ, DE, MD, WV, KY, IN, IL, IA, MN, WI, MI, OH, PA, NY, PA (again), NJ (again)

Rides: NSB in Kentucky, Great River Road from Moline, IL to I-90 in MN, Copper Harbor NSB, all 5 great lakes, Adirondacks.

Highs: all the above, conversations, bike compliments,twisties in WV, IA, NY
Lows: 3 low speed drops--snapped off both metal hand guard supports and punched a hole in a lower fairing. Piece of metal debris got kicked up from the road way and hit my left foot. At 70 mph. No damage. Hurt like a mofo. Riding through the remnants of tropical storm cindy. On i-75. Above Flint MI. With 50 mph gusts (it felt like) and construction. Driving rain and fog all the way from the adirondacks to suburban philly. Also, places to avoid, all in NY state.: Niagara scenic parkway north and south; Ontario scenic parkway. The Niagara scenic parkways are not scenic and they do not afford a glimpse of Niagara Falls. The Ontario Scenic parkway is marginally scenic--you can occasionally see the lake. But there are constant reminders "emergency stopping only" and the alleged parkway is worthy of Kenya's best civil engineers. Locals ride only on the shoulders.

The bike:
Pros: power, stability, brakes, engine, grippy tires, snarl, puig windscreen, hard bags, power modes---really nice especially on low-speed roads in poor traction conditions---, abs, adjustable traction control (latter 2 saved my bacon in 2 incidents on the river road), lighting---like a car. Did i mention power? Long, long, long road legs. Oh also, she is respectable on dirt roads. I tried it out.

Cons: ERGONOMICS! Argh: knees, wrists an especially manly bits were aching aching aching.; no power outlet; abs doesnt shut off for dirt roads.

Overall: i love my bike and loved the trip (btw 2015 versys 1000.)

2nd hand. Bought in may. Had 1900 miles. Now has nearly 7k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
weljo2001 and Turk like this.

Last edited by larrydevlin1770; 06-27-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 06:44 PM

Garage
Thats some trip. I would suggest Motowerk Foot Peg Lowering Blocks and also Motowerk Highway Peg Mounts. I have a bad hip and knees and they make the ride so much more enjoyable....https://motowerk.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-1000

P1010500 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Versys 1000 Moto Werk's Goodies by weljo2001, on Flickr

Versys 1000 Moto Werk's Goodies by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:17 PM

I don't have abs brakes on my versys, but it seems that I saw a video somewhere about pulling the abs fuse out to disable the abs brakes. This is for riding in the dirt. when finished trail riding pop the fuse back in, and your good to go on the asphalt with abs restored. could some one comment on this?

Weljoe? fasteddie?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Broke in the bike on a 3850 mi trip

[QUOTE=weljo2001;1403642]Thats some trip. I would suggest Motowerk Foot Peg Lowering Blocks and also Motowerk Highway Peg Mounts. I have a bad hip and knees and they make the ride so much more enjoyable....https://motowerk.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-1000

Thank you very much for the advice. When I get some more bike money, I will probably go for it. I wondered how forward pegs would work on this bike. But yours look very nice and comfortable.Also handlebar risers. Funny, the bike is just fine on a multi-hour tour. But several days of all-day riding killed my wrists. Perhaps, also a better seat. However, I am concerned that a better seat will make the riding position higher. I am not short, but as you can see, the height makes it easier to drop at low (feet on the ground in neutral) speeds.

Btw, i dont have a bad hip, but I do have torn meniscii. Definitely contributed to the knee issues. Thanks again.

weljo2001 likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
I don't have abs brakes on my versys, but it seems that I saw a video somewhere about pulling the abs fuse out to disable the abs brakes. This is for riding in the dirt. when finished trail riding pop the fuse back in, and your good to go on the asphalt with abs restored. could some one comment on this?

Weljoe? fasteddie?

That's a fantastic idea! I would want to make sure that removing that fuse has no other effect on braking. But it is (or at least i think it is) very easily accesible, and a great solution. Wish I had thought of it on trip!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydevlin1770 View Post
That's a fantastic idea! I would want to make sure that removing that fuse has no other effect on braking. But it is (or at least i think it is) very easily accesible, and a great solution. Wish I had thought of it on trip!

here is a video. this is on yamaha, but same principle. I've also heard of people putting an on off switch on the handlebars and wiring it to the abs wire going to the abs fuse. this way you can turn the abs on or off with this switch rather than having to remove the seat and removing the fuse.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:15 PM

Garage
[quote=larrydevlin1770;1403674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Thats some trip. I would suggest Motowerk Foot Peg Lowering Blocks and also Motowerk Highway Peg Mounts. I have a bad hip and knees and they make the ride so much more enjoyable....https://motowerk.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-1000

Thank you very much for the advice. When I get some more bike money, I will probably go for it. I wondered how forward pegs would work on this bike. But yours look very nice and comfortable.Also handlebar risers. Funny, the bike is just fine on a multi-hour tour. But several days of all-day riding killed my wrists. Perhaps, also a better seat. However, I am concerned that a better seat will make the riding position higher. I am not short, but as you can see, the height makes it easier to drop at low (feet on the ground in neutral) speeds.

Btw, i dont have a bad hip, but I do have torn meniscii. Definitely contributed to the knee issues. Thanks again.

I was going to get a seat also. I went through 7 seats on my Versys 650. But after i installed the foot peg lowering blocks the seat didn't bother me as much on the 1000. I also went with the Motowerks Handle Bar Risers they look great on the bike and work well.

P1010504 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010506 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=weljo2001;1403714][quote=larrydevlin1770;1403674]

I was going to get a seat also. I went through 7 seats on my Versys 650. But after i installed the foot peg lowering blocks the seat didn't bother me as much on the 1000. I also went with the Motowerks Handle Bar Risers they look great on the bike and work well.

I already looked at your previous link and saw the risers. I plan on getting them as well, eventually. On the last day of the trip, I broke down and bought a pair of bicycle shorts for and exorbitant price in the mountains. This virtually eliminated the discomfort in the manly bits. Im wearing them on long trips from now on.

weljo2001 likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:16 PM

[quote=larrydevlin1770;1403674]

On the last day of the trip, I broke down and bought a pair of bicycle shorts for and exorbitant price in the mountains. This virtually eliminated the discomfort in the manly bits. Im wearing them on long trips from now on.

What brand, and type of bicycle shorts did you buy? Were they tight or loose? Where they padded? I've thought about trying a pair of the tight, gel padded type.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

[quote=Skypilot 69;1403778]
Quote:

On the last day of the trip, I broke down and bought a pair of bicycle shorts for and exorbitant price in the mountains. This virtually eliminated the discomfort in the manly bits. Im wearing them on long trips from now on.

What brand, and type of bicycle shorts did you buy? Were they tight or loose? Where they padded? I've thought about trying a pair of the tight, gel padded type.
Padded bicycle short help a lot in eliminating the sore bums and always use boxer short to reduce cutting edges which is one of the course for discomfort while riding.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Skypilot 69;1403698]here is a video.

Thank you!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post

Weljoe? fasteddie?
When I got my Gen 3 650 w/ ABS, I went out and did some high-braking-effort stops to see how the ABS would react. And as I ride a fair amount of dirt, tried some - MY experience is that you CAN lock-up the rear wheel when you NEED to, and it was quite controllable, doing so on downhills w/ gravel, etc.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
When I got my Gen 3 650 w/ ABS, I went out and did some high-braking-effort stops to see how the ABS would react. And as I ride a fair amount of dirt, tried some - MY experience is that you CAN lock-up the rear wheel when you NEED to, and it was quite controllable, doing so on downhills w/ gravel, etc.

Thank you for the information. Besides riding on dirt roads and through lawns etc. on my nighthawk, I have no off road experience. It would be nice to be able to completely switch the abs off. The idea about installing a switch wired to the fuse line is a great idea. I probably will seldom use it, but I would have liked to have it on that dirt road on the trip.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 06:45 PM

Moto Skivees are padded underwear made for motorcycling. I love them. They also make compression socks which I like for all day riding.

Home - Moto-Skiveez
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 06:47 PM

Reportedly pulling the circuit breaker may cause an error code to be set and/or prevent the ABS from re-engaging. But what seems to work is holding the front brake at a stand still on dirt, then spin the rear wheel with power. This should disengage the ABS until the ignition is turned off and then back on.

My limited experience on dirt is I don't mind the ABS being on. But I'm not doing crazy enduro riding, just moderate dirt tracks.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
The Ontario Scenic parkway is marginally scenic--you can occasionally see the lake. But there are constant reminders "emergency stopping only" and the alleged parkway is worthy of Kenya's best civil engineers. Locals ride only on the shoulders.
I've been on that Parkway, it's the worst. I rode my Ninja 650 across that road and between the short wheelbase and stiff suspension I thought my innards were going to be all messed up from the constant bucking over the road heaves.

Sounds like a great trip aside from a few of the lows, but they do make for some interesting memories.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:10 AM

[quote=weljo2001;1403714]
Quote:
How do the lowering blocks affect rear brake pedal and gear shifter operation?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

[quote=ae5x;1404954]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post

How do the lowering blocks affect rear brake pedal and gear shifter operation?

Sorry. I quoted someone else and the app missed that somehow. I was replying to someone who had that done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode