Member Rides Show off your Versys...

7Likes
  • 5 Post By Dan-O58
  • 1 Post By farmerboy
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Indiana to Oregon and Back

Just finished a 4,700 mile trip Friday on my new 650. I have to say it went very well. Couple things I added to the bike and a couple things I did differently made a huge difference. Put a Go-Cruise throttle lock on the bike and added cheap hiway pegs to the crash bars. Also borrowed an Air Hawk seat pad and bought some good (Ex Officio) synthetic underwear. I ran Michelin PR 4's since it was almost all super-slab and they performed great. My last bike was a big metric cruiser with ride by wire cruise control, big stereo, yada yada yada and I thought the Versys was going to suffer on the slab running 90mph. Not the case at all. I camped every night on the road to save $$ and had plenty of storage with my panniers and tail bag. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with the performance and relative comfort of the 650. Later, Dan-O
weljo2001, 407guy, Turk and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:35 PM

Garage
Congrat's!!

Ride while you can
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O58 View Post
...I thought the Versys was going to suffer on the slab running 90mph. Not the case at all. I camped every night on the road to save $$ and had plenty of storage with my panniers and tail bag. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with the performance and relative comfort of the 650. Later, Dan-O
- -

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
I am embarking on a trip from Houston to Alaska on the 4th July and I was thinking of doing some camping. How did you find campsites enroute? Is there an app that can be used... I am a Brit and unfamiliar with riding/camping in the USA.
Regards

John
thunderkitty likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Glad it went all well for you.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Farmer boy, I used the KOA app and was able to plan my stops at good intervals. Highly recommend KOA's. Clean, safe and most have swimming pools, laundry etc. Once you get into Canada, you just have to google camping. Me and a buddy rode from Cincinnati to Alaska last year with no reservations or a planned route. We just winged it and didn't have any trouble. Get fuel every time see you a gas pump and be prepared to ride and camp in the rain. You can back Channel me if you need any pertinent info on Alaska trip. It was awesome! Dan-O
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:33 PM

Garage
Farmerboy, there is a lot of free camping on your way to Alaska as well. Research free camping on federal land. The chances of something happening to you while camping is leads than the chances of you wrecking or getting sick on your trip. As long as you act as poor as those around you, you will be OK.
Flaunt your money, jewelry, etc. and you increase your chances. Low key is the way to go.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
I am embarking on a trip from Houston to Alaska on the 4th July and I was thinking of doing some camping. How did you find campsites enroute? Is there an app that can be used....
Once you enter Canada, watch for provincial campgrounds, and IF you go up BC 37 - the Stewart/Cassiar Hwy - watch for the Kinaskan Lake provincial campground on the W side about half way up - GOOD site - and another close to the Alcan (Alaska Hwy), called the Boya Lake provincial campground on the E side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Farmerboy, there is a lot of free camping on your way to Alaska as well. Research free camping on federal land....
I AVOID that because at least in a public campground the grizzlies have MORE choices about who to eat, so the 'odds' work out better for you.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:59 PM

Thanks guys...all useful stuff.
Things like bears and deer jumping into he road are alien to us Brits so I shall do a bit of googling! If bears are a real problem for campers I may elect to use motels!!!!

I am a bit worried about the heat in Texas... my son tells me it is really, really hot and I have been told that riding at night can be dangerous due to wildlife leaping about... anyway I have ordered a cool vest and bought mesh riding gear and hopefully by the time I get to Albuquerque it will be a bit cooler! Never really had a problem with heat in the north of England!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:26 PM

I am in Texas as well.
In the high heat we get down here a days ride with mesh is a BAD idea.
Its like driving into a blast furnace and the wind at your skin, and it will dry you out faster than you can drink water.

In the summer full coverage and use your vents to control the air flow.
The cool vest will help a bit...it is HUMID down here. so they dont work well.
You hit Arizonia it will work a lot better.
i would leave the mesh at home and go with full gear. You will be in cool far longer than you will be in heat.

Last edited by DaMonk45; 06-19-2017 at 05:28 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I would just add that although we saw plenty of bears (black and grizzly) along the road, we didn't have any issues while staying in established campgrounds.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 04:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks guys...all useful stuff.
Things like bears and deer jumping into he road are alien to us Brits so I shall do a bit of googling! If bears are a real problem for campers I may elect to use motels!!!!

I am a bit worried about the heat in Texas... my son tells me it is really, really hot and I have been told that riding at night can be dangerous due to wildlife leaping about... anyway I have ordered a cool vest and bought mesh riding gear and hopefully by the time I get to Albuquerque it will be a bit cooler! Never really had a problem with heat in the north of England!

I rode from Texas to California in the summer of 2011. I left out at 1am the highways were dark but no issues with animals. Rode 850 miles and pulled into a hotel in Arizona under an air-conditioner before the real heat set in. If i do that trip again in the summer time i would do it at night but get an earlier start...
aemacleod likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:17 PM

Thanks. That's encouraging. I guess you used motorways?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. That's encouraging. I guess you used motorways?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I-20 from Ft.Worth through Texas.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 03:00 PM

a an early start a full day of riding, you are beat and need a place to stop for the night.
Thats when you find out you are still in Texas.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMonk45 View Post
a an early start a full day of riding, you are beat and need a place to stop for the night.
Thats when you find out you are still in Texas.
yes! We Brits forget how big Texas is!!! We have had a heatwave in England for a few days and I am getting worried about riding a bike in such heat!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

John - I agree w/ Joe. Remember that the Bedouin wear flowing robes, NOT tee-shirts and shorts.

Your sweat will cool you as it evaporates.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:31 AM

Sounds like a great trip Dan. I look forward to meeting up with you soon so you can give us the gory details over a cold one. I too have the PR 4's, and spend about 60% of my miles on the slab these days. Is IN the same as OH wherein the state routes are in much better condition than the x-ways? See ya soon.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Rayj, I backchanneled you last week.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 08:24 AM

Got it an replied to your quote. ive me a heads up when you plan on coming over this way. Supposed to be clear tomorrow so I'm planning on going down to Coffee and Cars.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode