Good ride.............. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

2Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Good ride..............

in the beginning. Did not end all that well. I decided to do a Black Hills outside loop ride. Hot Springs up Hwy 79 to I90 then west to Spearfish. Then south on Hwy85 through Deadwood/Lead to Newcastle, Wy. East to Custer and then south on 385 to Hot Springs.

Leaving Lead headed south climbing the pass into Wyoming I hit some small showers...........I was expecting them. Then it started raining heavy and changed to pea sized hail/slush balls. Took less than 20 seconds and the road was "white". I started slowing when it started raining hard but before I could get stopped (without using brakes) the road was covered in slush and the bike started sideways. No way to stop it or save it.............the nice thing about going down on/in slush it that you slide nicely. No harm to the body except for a cold/wet ass. The bike didn't fair as well. Broken right front turn signal with cracked fairing (I had removed that metal retaining plate), broken right hand guard, bent rear brake pedal, bent up right highway peg/bracket, and scraped the right saddlebag a bit. After picking the bike up (quite easy) and inspecting it I turned around and returned the way I had came. Rode it home with no problem. My insurance is $500 deductable so I think I'll just fix it myself. Everything is repairable (I have a plastic welder). Spring riding in SD....................I'll pay closer attention next time I see rain clouds.

Last edited by Duffy; 05-22-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:11 AM

Garage
Bummer. I've been in similar situations in the TN mountains, but fortunately for me i was still going up hill so the bike slowed down nicely with the clutch lever pulled in.
Duffy likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Bummer. I've been in similar situations in the TN mountains, but fortunately for me i was still going up hill so the bike slowed down nicely with the clutch lever pulled in.

I was also going up hill but trying to downshift carefully............I guess I wasn't careful enough.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Well the repair didn't take very long............Gorilla Glue for the plastics, took the brake pedal and highway peg off and beat them straight. Repainted everything and it looks good. Just ordered the paint for the saddlebag (ColorRite) and then I can do a bit of Bondo work to the saddlebag. I still need to wash the bike but otherwise it's good.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 01:24 PM

At least it was only minor repairs to the bike instead of a healing spell.
quexpress likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode