Member Rides Show off your Versys...

2Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
flooding in BC's Okanagan Valley

On the 17th and 18th of May I decided to take a look at flooding around where I tend to go riding. Due the large amount of rain lately, creeks have been overflowing, and LOTS of homes have been damaged, some even destroyed, but lately the rains have abated, and THAT threat is diminishing.

HOWEVER - the "elephant-in-the-room" is the snow-pack in the mountains that surround us, 147% of the NORMAL snow-pack. The level in Okanagan Lake (and the others here) has been steadily rising, now ABOVE "full-pool" - the level at which it is FULL - so from now on it WILL be flooding. The fact that temps are into the mid-20s C (80F) this weekend will ONLY exacerbate the issue, so I grabbed my trusty camera and headed N. As I got down along the E shore I saw a dock that was JUST barely level w/ the water, and then took this pic at Okanagan Centre.

Usually there's several feet from the walk-way to the lake, and they're installing 'water-dams' (rubber tubing, filled w/ water so looks like a sausage) along beaches here.

The next day I rode down BC 33 to 'check-out' the Kettle River (where a major fire occurred in August '15). There was a BIG snowfall a few days ago at higher elevations

and here's two pics of the BIG WHITE ski area from S on 33.

When I was approaching the Kettle River Park I took several pics of the remains of the fire

before I turned into the Park to survey the Kettle River....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The Kettle River is running pretty high, but it looks like it's NOT going over its banks.

There's USUALLY a small beach here...

and here's the view looking W at the Park entrance.

I headed back N, then down a side-road to check out the River from a bit closer, but parked a 'ways' away.

There's a scenic area where the rock-face 'fell' some time ago, 'bout half way back home.

It was a VERY interesting pair of rides, altho' the clouds were getting darker as I headed N on BC 33, so I 'boogied', and got just some small showers as I skirted the storms - totaled about 283 kms on the Kettle River day.

onewizard and Turk like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-03-2017 at 04:38 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Looks like a nice ride.............it's supposed to be in the high 60's here tomorrow so I'm going out for a spin then. Enjoy............

I'm looking forward to July as I'll be in eastern BC (Creston) for a weekend, meeting up with some good friends from the Volusia Riders Forum.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
...I'm looking forward to July as I'll be in eastern BC (Creston) for a weekend, meeting up with some good friends from the Volusia Riders Forum.
LOTS of good roads around Creston!

Will you be coming there via BC 3 - the Crowsnest Hwy? VERY fun road....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about the flooding but those are some beautiful photos. I'm coming out to Vancouver the week of June 4th and plan on renting a bike. Looking forward to the trip.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
LOTS of good roads around Creston!

Will you be coming there via BC 3 - the Crowsnest Hwy? VERY fun road....
Coming up the west side of Glacier Park (not sure of the highway numbers) and then straight up across the border to Creston.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Coming up the west side of Glacier Park (not sure of the highway numbers) and then straight up across the border to Creston.
Duffy - that'd be MN 93 to Elko, then BC 3.

An INCREDIBLE set of roads is on the E side of Glacier - MN 89 from St Mary S to MN 49 to East Glacier. I visited Glacier Park w/ my son (he riding his SR500), and we camped along 89 JUST so we got to ride those two roads (89 & 49) twice each day, morning and evening!

-

WATCH for cattle - it's 'open range'.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Duffy - that'd be MN 93 to Elko, then BC 3.

An INCREDIBLE set of roads is on the E side of Glacier - MN 89 from St Mary S to MN 49 to East Glacier. I visited Glacier Park w/ my son (he riding his SR500), and we camped along 89 JUST so we got to ride those two roads (89 & 49) twice each day, morning and evening!

-

WATCH for cattle - it's 'open range'.
Mt 200 out of Missoula to US 2/95 then ID 1 to the border and then Canadian 21 to Creston. Two of the folks I'm meeting will be riding back to SD with me so I have no idea what route we'll take back.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just went up to Vernon to visit family/friends this weekend! The high water is really bizarre. I ended up helping my dad make a sandbag barricade at his cabin on the west side of the lake towards the Vernon end of things... There's a creek that usually dissipates 20-30ft off from shore, its currently blasting heavily at least 100ft off shore with lots of debris in it. Quite impressive, and worrying...

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I just rode past the Okanagan Centre but w/out a camera today. There are MANY docks underwater, and the level is quite a bit higher.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

MORE flooding evidence...!

Because I failed to bring a camera yesterday, I went out to take some this AM. First pic is from 2013, showing the 'boat-launch' area NOT flooding

and here's what it's like right now.

I also got pics of some submerged wharves:

I assume that those plastic cans are full of rocks to TRY to weight it down - last evening we had a high-wind warning, w/ reports of lots of wave-action overnight.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Okanagan flooding as of 02 June

I went riding w/ a camera to check the level of Lake Okanagan again this morning, and here are several pics, including some of that 'boat-launch' area, Okanagan Centre, plus MORE underwater wharfs.

NOT looking too good.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here are a few other pics I took, including two of the Salmon River running PRETTY HIGH...! EVERYTHING is green from all that rain!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-03-2017 at 04:42 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing those beautiful picture of nature. Its always cool to ride along with natural surrounding , unlike the highways. sorry on the flooding , but that's part of mother nature trying to balance with we damage we humans do.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

pics from June 4th...

I took a ride to check on the lake again, yesterday, and it's up MORE. On today's NEWS it was declared that experts expect the lake to go to ONE metre ABOVE "full pool" - that is 39 INCHES, peaking mid-July!

The area of the lake is 351 square kms, or 86,734 acres. I know that they use "acre-feet" as a measure to describe lake flooding, so, IF my math is correct, then an INCH increase over that area is 7,228 acre-feet. Then 39 inches WILL BE 281,892 acre-feet! That's a HUGE amount of water.

Here are some pics from yesterday.

I'm REALLY glad that we live about 400' higher than the lake, and I feel sorry for all those who are being affected by the flooding.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

For anyone interested - the lake's level is reducing, altho' it is STILL above "full-pool", but decreasing by perhaps 1/2" each day, plus LESS snow visible on the mountains that still show some....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode