Sam's 09 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sam's 09 650

Bought my 09 last Saturday at an auction with 17k miles. it has a givi windscreen, a Shad rack, and two switched acc plugs in the dash. Tires and chain look decent. I registered it last night but I haven't had it out on the road yet. I did ride it around my mobile home park. I am about 5'4" and after doing just a little riding I noticed how sore my calf muscles are from balancing it, so I ordered the lowering kit and stand foot from Moto Werk Monday morning. It should be here today or tomorrow. I also ordered a 44l top box to go on my rack from homcom out of Canada. I read about it here and the price was an amazing 55$ shipped. My other bike is a lowered 1987 zl1000 Eliminator and this Versys is a much lighter but also a lot taller. I have a huge windshield on the Eliminator and a small bag on the rear seat. Also I have Rox 2" risers on the Eliminator. The Versys has a lot more legroom and I don't know if I will even need to raise the bars on it. It feels quite sporty even compared to the 1000cc motor of the "Beast". The ergos seem a lot more relaxed and I like the fuel injection. I had been looking for a fz1, n1k or z1000 but I think this Versys is gonna do everything I need. I may look for a taller windscreen, hand shields and heated grips later towards fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:34 AM

Welcome aboard. I'm either blessed or plagued with a 28" inseam so the Moto Werks lowering kit was an immense improvement. Now the only problem I face is that the older I become, the heavier stuff becomes. Over the years I've owned my Versys it's gained a bunch of pounds (but I can't seem to locate them). Must be some sort of Commie Pinko plot! Couldn't possibly be the loss of upper body strength - I'm only 72. Oh wait, maybe it could - rats!!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...Over the years I've owned my Versys it's gained a bunch of pounds (but I can't seem to locate them)....
Arion - FWIW - when I added the DENALI lights yesterday, as well as the pound or so that they weigh, I used about 10 zip-ties, and several inches of electrical tape....

It's the LITTLE things that add up!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow the lowering link was delivered this morning. Maybe that's why they call him speedy Gonzales.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I installed my top case, lowering kit, dropped my front forks and installed the lowered flat foot. I used my 2x4 bike jack with a piece of 2" rigid styrofoam under the muffler to jack the bike. It was very tippy so I used two tiedown straps from the ceiling to the bars to stabilize it. Worked great. I still can't flat foot it but I can get the balls of my feet down. I did realize now that my dash reset button is not working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0309_1494767942373.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	121114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0308_1494767971093.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	121122  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I put my rox 2" risers on and raised the front of my seat. Now I'm gonna take some measurements to order a calsci windscreen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode