Dallas to Austin Area - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dallas to Austin Area

My wife and I took our bikes to Austin this last weekend to visit family. The roads we took in that area were just outstanding. A lot of fun. We didn't take many pictures but a couple are attached. The last one is at my brother-in-law's place and it's just some deer in his backyard (we saw 10 of them running across the road to his house ... pretty cool I thought).

Here's one of the maps for our route coming out of Bee Cave and heading north. Is there any way to embed maps like this?

More in our blog here.

We are really liking the short tours we've done (this is only our second), and I expect we'll do more. The Versys is in some ways very surprising. For example, I think I got about 65mpg on the way home, which is much more than I expected.

But it does cause some problems for me as a touring bike (all of which I've whined about before). I recently put gel grips on the bike (Pro Grip 714s) and they helped with the vibs, but I still have the numb hand problem. I also really practiced a loose grip and I think I'm improving in that area. But I'm going to add some aluminum handlebars next.

Then there's the seat issue. I think I'm going to try to trade my seat (+$) for a stock seat and then send that seat to Russell and see if that improves things for me. I don't think they're the most attractive but they're supposed to be super-comfy.

Not only did my butt hurt this time, but my legs started to really ache. Maybe at the same time I do the handlebars, I'll add an engine guard and highway pegs.

If those don't solve my problems, I'll be looking for another bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-10-30%2009.37.34.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	9137   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-10-30%2009.37.13.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	9138   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-10-30%2008.44.28.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	9139  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:14 PM

I recognize those first two pics from when I went to the hamilton pool reserve. It's very nice out that way.

Try the universal throttle lock. It completely solved my numb hand problem. 30 some odd dollars.....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
I think I got about 65mpg on the way home, which is much more than I expected.
Was the wind at your back?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Very nice!! A lot of good roads around there, and further south. You could've gone west to Blanco, or south to Wimberley, or east to Kyle. All good roads.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
Try the universal throttle lock. It completely solved my numb hand problem. 30 some odd dollars.....
That's one of the possibilities for sure.

Quote:
Was the wind at your back?
I thought it was blowing mostly across our path, but I'm not completely sure about that. It was one of the things I thought could account for it. I usually don't pay much attention to mileage. I just know that when the V goes to about half a tank, the Blast is nearing empty, so that's what I watch for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Very nice!! A lot of good roads around there, and further south. You could've gone west to Blanco, or south to Wimberley, or east to Kyle. All good roads.
Sounds like we have some new options.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:45 PM

How do you do multiple quotes in one post?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
How do you do multiple quotes in one post?

If you look at the lower right corner, you'll see the button "M-quote". Click it on the all but the last post you want to quote, and click the "Quote" button on the last post you want to include. It'll put them all in the same reply box.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 PM

got it...thanks bear.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=objectuser;120845]

Not only did my butt hurt this time, but my legs started to really ache. Maybe at the same time I do the handlebars, I'll add an engine guard and highway pegs.

Do you have the peg lowering blocks helped with my knees and legs.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

I don't. I'm not sure why my legs hurt coming back from Austin, when they didn't hurt going down, or on the much longer ride to Midland. I had considered the lowering pegs but because my knees never hurt, thought they wouldn't help me. I do like to stretch my legs though, and so think the highway pegs might be more of what my legs need.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:07 PM

My wife and I can assure you that the Russell seat is very comfortable. We have one on our FJR. On our Versys we have a Corbin seat and it is not nearly as comfortable as the Russell. You may want to check on some of the other Forums, they sometimes have group buys were you can get as much as 20% off the price. Hope this information is helpful. Ride Safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode