Falcon Field open-house (wings'n'guns!) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Falcon Field open-house (wings'n'guns!)

Last Saturday (25 March) I decided to get one LAST ride in before 'shaking the AZ dust off my heels' and heading N to Canuckistan. The 'open house' starts at 0900, featuring warbirds, military vehicles, and a show & shine, so I saddled-up hitting the road shortly after 0800, arriving shortly after 0900 to find SPECIAL motorcycle parking right up front....
-

On the field apron there was a B-17 w/ a P-51 parked alongside, as well as other 'winged-wonders'.

I'm NOT sure what this is, besides being USN of course!

This would have been an AT-6 'Texan' in US colors, but as a Commonwealth a/c it'd be a 'Harvard' trainer, USUALLY painted yellow and known as the "Yellow Peril" to RCAF pilots.

Not sure, but I believe this is a Blackhawk - HEAVILY armed....

An Apache attack helicopter was airborne most of the time I was there....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

custom '62 Impala, and.......?

Just outside near the special parking for bikes they had the show & shine, w/ one of my favorite Impalas displayed - a '62.

Chatting w/ a fellow displaying his car, he commmented on my gear (ATGATT of course!) asking if I was the owner of the "custom bike"...? I hadn't seen one, so asked "Where?" He pointed NE so I walked over to see this MONSTROSITY, apparently based on a diesel semi tractor....

It brought NEW meaning to the term "heavy metal"!

Beside it was a bar-stool powered by a SBC V8 for those times when the drinks aren't 'coming fast enough' I suppose.

From there I had a mile or so drive to where the military vehicles collectors had THEIR displays.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

the military collectors display

Parked over by the CAF (Commemorative Air Force) Museum, then walked onto the ramp to a LOT of Browning machine-guns attached to various 'carriers'....

(and a Thompson or TWO...)

Inside the hangar were some MORE warbirds, starting w/ a Korean War era MiG15 undergoing restoration

a Viet-Nam era MiG21 beside it

a USN F4 Phantom next to it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

some older 'stuff'

There's also a few WW2 birds there, this either an A-26 or a B-26

and this an anti-submarine Korean War era a/c.

There are several a/c or models hanging from the ceiling, for instance the "Jug" (P-47) in the background of the above pic, as well as this Neuport from WW1

and a lovely B-24 model.

All-in-all - VERY nice way to spend a few hours...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:17 PM

That F4 Phantom is painted in the colors of an air wing that I was in for about 4 years. They have the correct carrier stenciled also (USS Ranger). I couldn't see the radome to tell whether it was a J/B or an S/N model. That would give a clue to the year. Different motors and electronics between the models.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:33 PM

Garage
Cool Thanks FastEddie

You seem to live a charmed life, thanks for the pics.
I have a 15 V 650 LT and I love it. I have you to thank for that, too. You see, I read your letter in one of the cycle mags about selling your KLR 650 to buy another Versys.That made up my mind for me.
So thank you and I hope to see you on the road.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
That F4 Phantom is painted in the colors of an air wing that I was in for about 4 years. They have the correct carrier stenciled also (USS Ranger). I couldn't see the radome to tell whether it was a J/B or an S/N model. That would give a clue to the year. Different motors and electronics between the models.
This pic gives the BEST view, but I can say that the radome has that extra part (lower) that some folks think is a cannon, but isn't, partly visible just below the chin of the fellow w/ a little kid who seems to be taking a pic w/ his phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddye View Post
You seem to live a charmed life, thanks for the pics.
I have a 15 V 650 LT and I love it. I have you to thank for that, too. You see, I read your letter in one of the cycle mags about selling your KLR 650 to buy another Versys.That made up my mind for me.
So thank you and I hope to see you on the road.
-

Ever since getting that first V (the '08) I'm just trying to convert the world to riding the V 650s....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:07 AM

Once again, great photos! Thoroughly enjoy seeing the attractions you find on your outings. The blue trainer with 743 on the fuselage appears to be what the USAF called the T-28 Trojan (unfortunate name). No doubt the navy came up with a better name.

Loved the diesel powered monstrosity as well. Must take half the nation to turn around - if it's even capable of turning at all. Three square profile tires don't lend themselves to canyon carving. On the other hand, it does seem to be self-stabilized. Maybe Honda should take a closer look at this. Not!

Also appreciated the photos of the B-24s. Though more were made than B-17s they seem to be the forgotten bomber. My dad flew them out of Norfolk, England, during the latter part of WWII. Despite the fact that he, on occasion, called them "Consolidated's excuse for an aircraft," they brought him home safely after 35 missions. Shot down once, bailed out, and became a member of the Caterpillar Club. I still have his membership card.

Took him back to his old airfield when he visited me in England in 1969. Buildings were gone but the foundations, taxiways, and runway were, for the most part, still there. I followed him around the field for several hours. Now and then would stop and simply stand quietly before continuing his tour. It was over an hour and a half before he said a word. I listened intently even though I realized he wasn't speaking to me. He was remembering aloud. I can't imagine what was going through his mind, but it was a memorable experience. He's gone now but that day will stay with me for a long time to come.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 04-03-2017 at 10:36 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:10 AM

If it had the lower bump on the radome it is either a J or an S. They had the bigger motors and the better electronics...........I worked on the J's for about 3 years (late 69' to late 72'). The S was the final version the Navy used and it was replaced with the F14D (early 80's if my memory is correct).

Last edited by Duffy; 04-03-2017 at 10:12 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
If it had the lower bump on the radome it is either a J or an S. They had the bigger motors and the better electronics...........I worked on the J's for about 3 years (late 69' to late 72'). The S was the final version the Navy used and it was replaced with the F14D (early 80's if my memory is correct).
This pic I took at the USS Midway, looks like it's a J or an S...? I believe that the Falcon Field one was similar, tho' the 'bump' was ALL black.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:45 PM

That bump was for a smaller radar (doppler)...........the outside coating was a protection from rain/hail erosion on the fiberglass. Usually just a rubber coating. The reason I know all this trivia is that I was a radar/fire control tech.

That last pic looks like an S model. They had skinnier main tires than the J's.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
...The reason I know all this trivia is that I was a radar/fire control tech....
Thanks for serving Duffy. The F4 was one that I'd LOVED to have flown, on my 'short-list' along side the P-51 and F-86 (which I missed by ONE course in the RCAF!!!).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Thanks for serving Duffy. The F4 was one that I'd LOVED to have flown, on my 'short-list' along side the P-51 and F-86 (which I missed by ONE course in the RCAF!!!).
The F4's were great interceptors but not too good for dog fighting. They just didn't turn well. We were at Top Gun one time and one our birds came back missing the outer panels on both horizontal stabilizers The G meter read a bit over 9G's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode