Last one standing.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Last one standing....

Its getting cold up here in Norther New England...at least in the morning. I been trying to ride to work to save on gas (the cage is 3/4 Dodge Hemi). I wear First Gear Kathmandu Jacket and pants works boots and Snowmobile gloves....

Yesterday morning it was 26 degrees....just a little chilly for October. I was going to take the truck but really wanted to try the Powermadd hand guards I just put on. So I take the V.

Normally its about a 12-13 mile trip to work. I stay off the interstate one because its too damn cold to be riding at 75mph and two the drivers are insane at that hour.
So I take my usual route through town.

about 6 miles in...uhoh detour...I'll find out later a water main broke. Well the detour is backed up something insane because the genius local PD didn't direct traffic where the detour road dumps on the a major route that is normally very busy at rush hour. The light lets about 3 cars through at a time. I'm a good 3/4 of mile back from the light fighting the urge to run down the shoulder....I get closer the the light and I can't take it anymore...I run down the shoulder then take a right...most of the traffic wants to go left back towards town. I shoot up the road which is starting to clear because its past 8oclock. My plan is to go up through the town north of where I work then work my way back down.

Oh I forgot to mention it very foggy and aside from my shield fogging up water vapor keeps building up....visibility sucks. I get through the next town but the cold is really starting to get to my hands. I keep pushing through....I'm now in the right town about 5 miles from my destination. I'm doing okay except for my right hand...the tips of my fingers are screaming in pain its also getting hard to work the brake....I should have stopped but I was so close and so late I pushed through...

Finally I turn down the road I work on and make it to the parking lot...It takes me a few minutes to get my helmet and gloves off...hot coffee and I'm all better....made it...took me almost three times as long as it normally would have...

Why the last one standing....I didn't see one other motorcycle....normally I see a half dozen on a bad day a couple dozen on a nice day...I guess my fellow riders smartened up and took their cage....

I'm not done yet....no snow on the ground yet

Last edited by offcamber; 10-21-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 02:58 PM

Purchase heated gear! You will laugh at the cold, maybe....

I am riding this weekend to Williams, AZ, forecast high's of ~50, low ~30. I would not consider going without my heated jacket and gloves!

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 03:05 PM

In Cali we can lane split (mirror surf). I never get stuck in traffic as long as I'm on one of my bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Purchase heated gear! You will laugh at the cold, maybe....

I am riding this weekend to Williams, AZ, forecast high's of ~50, low ~30. I would not consider going without my heated jacket and gloves!

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 03:14 PM

I am still standing in Southern NH. about 35 when i leave and mid 50s on my way home. Last year i did my last ride december first, hopin for another month or so of good riding.

I put on a long sleeve, sweatshirt, riding jacket with winter liner in, riding jeans with my rain gear on top to break the wind, only thing that gets a little cold are my feet and fingers by the time i arrive 30 minutes after i leave the house. The ride home is sans rain gear, and sweatshirt.

it is true tho, not too many bikes out there. Atleast on the week days. Only other guy that rides to work, is a crazy mofo that rides all year round. As long as the roads are dry hes on them. No heat gear either!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Just made a round trip from Boston to Johnstown PA and back. Not too many bikes at all on the road. Hell, mornings it was way up in the low 40's.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 PM

Last one standing? Heated gear?

It's only October.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Yeah no fancy heated gear here....that's for snowmobiling or in my case ATV with track riding

The only chink in my armor is my hands getting cold....

Last edited by offcamber; 10-23-2010 at 08:49 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
The only chink in my armor is my hands getting cold....
Heated gear will take care of that. I ride all year long with heated grips, gloves and a jacket liner. I never even look at the temp and I never get cold hands
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Keep it going offcamber . The extra effort is worth the payoff. After riding the bike to work 8 months out of the year, I pretty much dread using the truck (Dodge Dakota). My trip is only about 10 miles each way. I rarely see another bike out at this time of year. Before I got heated gloves the cold weather was downright dangerous. I couldn't work the controls very well, and I was concentrating on my pain instead of the road. The Gerbings gloves cost a little over $100 if I remember correctly. Enjoy !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 PM
NYG

I managed two days a week of commuting until last week, but between rain and cold I didn't ride to work at all this week. Morning temps were below thirty and I wasn't up for it. I was commuting in mid to high thirties, but the cold seems to really get through some of my gear. Well done to those of you who are still doing it in the Northeast. Kudos!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:28 PM

Offcamber, I'm with you and feel your pain. I have a 30 minute ride from the Lakes Region into Concord and early mornings it feels like the fingertips are going to fall off. I ride ATGATT, so I keep warm except the finger tip, which are sitting behind some Bark-buster hand guards to help cut down the wind. From a safety point of view I'll be packing the V away, because its that time of year when early morning frost and ice start making an appearance. I'm Ok with winter weather in a car (Honda Fit), yet far too many years have past for me to start riding in snow and ice again; that is for the younger crowd (who heal faster) and studded tires.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Offcamber, I'm with you and feel your pain. I have a 30 minute ride from the Lakes Region into Concord and early mornings it feels like the fingertips are going to fall off. I ride ATGATT, so I keep warm except the finger tip, which are sitting behind some Bark-buster hand guards to help cut down the wind. From a safety point of view I'll be packing the V away, because its that time of year when early morning frost and ice start making an appearance. I'm Ok with winter weather in a car (Honda Fit), yet far too many years have past for me to start riding in snow and ice again; that is for the younger crowd (who heal faster) and studded tires.

I agree with you there...frost/black ice is becoming a bigger concern. I was hoping to make to Thanksgiving but I don't think that's gonna happen. May have to go back to car pooling with wife's Patriot....that ha s heated seats
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 PM

Still riding in Ottawa. Well, 2 days this week anyway. It's 13 degrees celcius out there right now. As long as it's dry and there's no frost on the ground, I'll still ride for another couple of weeks.

Brent

Current bike - 2007 Versys, black
Givi v46 topcase, Oxford Heaterz, Motowerks lowering blocks, Barkbuster VPS hand guards, Evotech radiator cover, Hepco Becker crash bars, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Seat Concepts all carbon look seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode