'Shake-down' ride to the Coolidge Dam after 'doing' my valves & installing new stator - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

'Shake-down' ride to the Coolidge Dam after 'doing' my valves & installing new stator

It was FINALLY getting sunny here, altho' the wind was UP, the temps were DOWN, the FORKSKINs were ON, the stator exchanged and shims 'done'.... TIME to ride, so I suited-up, TOURMASTER heated jacket liner ON at 3 (of 5), headed E towards the Florence-Kelvin Hwy, ultimately to the Coolidge Dam, temps be damned - 44F here, the Dam much higher in elevation...!

That's SNOW on "them thar hills"..., and that's where I'm headed...!

After the F-K Hwy I turned S onto AZ 177 to Winkleman

then E on AZ 77 towards Globe.

As I climbed I was very thankful that my heated liner was working as the temps were headed down, windspeed UP, so VERY chilly. Turned S onto AZ 70 to the turn-off for the Coolidge Dam at San Carlos (Apache Reservation), then headed W, snow-covered peaks off to my left just past San Carlos Lake, the impoundment for the Dam....

which now became visible ahead.

The dam area is quite pretty in a "1920s" way.

I continued SE to get a better view of those snowy peaks, the sun working its way down

then reversed course, back to the dam

where I got these "shots" before continuing back

Back on AZ 70 towards Globe I was passed by a fellow on a 'cruiser' NOT wearing a helmet, obviously COLD, his head snuggled into his collar, but I was comfy in my Bell full-face, Kilimanjaro jacket, TOURMASTER SYNERGY liner STILL set at 3, despite the blustery wind, and VERY chilly temps.

I was not able to take any pics for the remainder of the ride due to the VERY cold temperature, w/ 'rush-hour' vehicles filling ALL lanes. On AZ 60 between Globe and Superior I saw something I've NEVER seen in this part of Arizona before....

Where the water had spilled down the rock-faces either side of the road, it'd turned to ICE, icicles hanging down - so the temperatures HAD to be BELOW 32F. MY thoughts went to..."What if there's water (ICE!) on the road, especially thru the tunnel just up form Superior?", something I'd not ever thought of before.

Luckily there was none that I saw (or experienced), arriving home chilly around the edges, after about 5 hours and 216 miles....

GOOD ride, but I'm GLAD that the cold-spell is ending, 70F today here.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-30-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 AM

I have the Tourmaster Synergy jacket - and prefer it over my other brand...

Great pics - nice, sunny day !

Thanks for sharing !

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:22 AM

Another 'cool' ride report FEC. I'm going to check out that area, that dam looks cool...

Went up 7 Springs this Saturday towards Childs, and when crossing the spillway over the road (the creek has a concrete roadway for a section to cross where the creek just spills over the road) there was ICE on either side of the creek where the vehicles splash and drip water on the roadway on either end. Couldn't see it, we would have called it 'black ice' in Vancouver (or Kelowna). We were riding slow, less than 5 MPH and only about 30 ft apart, two of us made it over with only some serious butt clenching, and the third guy tipped over and slid for 10 feet.

Note to self: ice in Phoenix? Yep!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:04 AM

Canadians can take their foreskins off?? Wow, is that cool or what!!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Canadians can take their foreskins off?? Wow, is that cool or what!!
THAT way we can "share things" -- w/ our 'Murican bro's, Arion....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:58 AM

That art deco look on the dam is actually a pretty nice touch to a drab chunk of concrete.

I spent the weekend adding the last of the farkles to my bike. Still too much ice to get the bike out of the shop. It sure would be nice to take a ride..................
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
That art deco look on the dam is actually a pretty nice touch to a drab chunk of concrete...................
Apparently the comedian Will Rogers spoke at the ceremony when the Coolidge Dam was 'opened', and said: "If this was MY lake, I think I'd mow it!"

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode