A view from the other side of the pacific ocean - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
A view from the other side of the pacific ocean

Since most of you on this forum live on the opposite side of the pacific ocean to where i live thought I would go for a ride into town and take some pic's and a good excuse to go for a ride after working 12 hr night shift.

A beautiful spring day here, first shot taking off from home

Then rode 10km into Tiamru and took some picture of caroline bay, Timaru

This is my home town so if anyone down here look me up and see about going for a ride around the area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timaru
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Great looking view you have there my friend.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yep Joseph am blessed with some good views, here is my northern view from the house looking toward the southern alps, just had a mid spring dusting of snow a couple of days ago.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice view and what a beautiful day, Phil.

It just says come out and play......,

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Yes, indeed beautiful country. In '96 we drove from Christchurch down to Queenstown but not through Timaru. While in Queenstown, we took a flight out to Milford Sound for a day cruise. On our way back we went over to the coast on Highway 6 ultimately crossing over Arthur's Pass on our way back to Christchurch. Absolutely wonderful country, and people. Many times my wife was reminding me that I wasn't on a motorcycle and more importantly, that I needed to concentrate more on staying on the left side of the road. ..........Frog
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:01 PM

Sweet pics. Thank you. I can only dream of ever seeing it in person.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like a beautiful day! Love those mountains!!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Frog, if you get a chance to come here and ride a bike, the ride from Invercargill to Te Anua, at Te Anua find a place to stay and leave all your excess gear in your room and have some lunch by the lake. The ride the 120km one way trip into milford sound remember to fuel up as no fuel at milford so it will be a 240km round trip. The road ride in the is soooooooo much fun on a v that i got a permanent smile thinking about it. The reason I say leave te anua after lunch is that you miss most of the tourist bus's coming from queenstown as they left they arrive at milford at lunch time so if you take that road in morn you can get stuck behind the bus.
When we road there early in the year it was abut 30 Celsius when we arrive so we checked on the last boat trip that left around 4pm and arrived back at 6pm. Was great for us to relaxed after riding in the hot temps and by the time we got back all the buses had left so we had a mainly clear road heading back to Te Anua.

Next morn and headed to Queenstown for lunch then off to Wanaka going up the crown range with the 15 km/h corners my wife had a panic attack about taking her cruiser up but she did fine but don't tell her my v wanted to leave her behind but resisted that temptation for martial harmony. Beutiful ride past Wanaka with Lake Hawea on right and lake Wanaka on left then we rode through haast pass and camped up at Haast on west coast.
In my view that would have to be one of the most awsome bike rodes you could ride anywhere.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

One more thing frog since you flew into milford from queenstown you missed some of the best bike riding rode so here is one of my fav pic's have posted before. It is a shot of the west side of homer tunnel not far from milford sound, it is bikers heaven but word of warning orc's do patrol the hills so be aware

Anyone that is interested there is a few more pic's in my profile in my albums

Last edited by kiwi 41; 10-12-2010 at 10:05 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:52 PM

Nice pics, your season is just beginning, ours is nearing the close.

My Album:
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yep Element it really starting to warm up, we went into our daylight saving a few weeks back where we put clocks forward a hour and that make a huge dif to how much daylight time during evenings. I still ride my bike over winter just not as much but you can get some really nice winter days but I am a old snow skier from way back so do not mind the cold fresh air.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 AM

Yes, Kiwi41, I know I missed many wonderful m/c roads but the deal was no motorcycles on the NZ trips. These are family trips which have been just great. I ride year round here in the Pacific NW, but as you can imagine, the weather is wet and cool/cold most of the time during our winter season.

From the map, I would assume that you would go from Invercargill out to Te Anau via the back roads and not via 6 and 94.

Enjoy your summer and your good riding.

Frog
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

No back roads as my wife was riding with me on her cruiser, took 99 out from invercargill past Manapouri http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manapou..._Power_Station then on to 94 for rest of way in.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 AM

From the map, that is the route that looks like more fun. The history on Manapouri is very interesting with me starting my working career at a hydroelectric plant in Panama. Thanks for the link; it was very interesting both in scope and history..........Frog
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

If you are into walking/tramping in isolated fiordland then this is the track to do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford_Track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode