Hill country texas next weekend - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hill country texas next weekend

Just got my new rear tire mounted so I'm ready for a hill country run. I'm thinking of hitting san antonio and perhaps going a little west or north from there. My workmate swears by a little town called Bandera.

I'm open to suggestions on nice "curvy" routes. 3 sisters comes to mind but I'm not sure where it is.

This also depends on if I can even get off of work next weekend! But the weather seems to be right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
Just got my new rear tire mounted so I'm ready for a hill country run. I'm thinking of hitting san antonio and perhaps going a little west or north from there. My workmate swears by a little town called Bandera.

I'm open to suggestions on nice "curvy" routes. 3 sisters comes to mind but I'm not sure where it is.

This also depends on if I can even get off of work next weekend! But the weather seems to be right!

And wouldn't it figure, I'll be in Virginia next weekend, or I'd LOVE to join you! There are SO many out this way. Bandera is great. Let me throw a few maps at you.

BRB!!

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, first off, here is a great website hitting some of the highlights:

http://www.hillcountrycruising.com/

Motorcycle Museum: There is a $5 fee to go in & see the bikes. I thought it was worth it. They also have a little cafe in the back, serves burgers & things. Not bad.

http://lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/index.html

In Medina, Love's Creek Apple Store: Excellent burger...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...03449&t=h&z=18

Gas: You can get gas in Bandera, Medina, Leaky & Camp Wood.

From Loop 1604 & Bandera Road/Hwy 16 in San Antonio (A), through Bandera(B), Medina(C), to Vanderpool(F), the Motorcycle Museum(E), then on to Leakey(G) & the 3 Sisters(G-H, I-J, and J back to D), up & over, then down to Camp wood(J), then back to Leakey(G).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...41513&t=h&z=11

A few of my triips:

If you head north, toward Austin:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=7516

Heading west on Hwy 16 (this thread has a few more links out that way):

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5493

Not sure if you can tell, but I LOVE it out there. That whole area is great. Man I wish I could join you....

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 10-10-2010 at 03:27 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks bear. I'll check over the links when I get a chance.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the maps bear.

How long does it take to ride the 3's? I'll only be able to stay over 1 night....so coming from houston saturday morning and having to get back to houston sunday evening.

Also keeping in mind that I'm probably not going to spend all day on the bike as I have a stock seat....we'll see how that goes.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Riding the 3's will take around an hour & a half once you're there. Leaving from SA, riding the sisters, then back to SA, is a good 4 hours, so it all depends on where you're staying. If you don't have time to hit all 3, the best by far is 337, which starts in Medina & goes to Camp Wood. Really good curves & great views. So if you go as far as Bandera, you can easily make it to Camp Wood in less than an hour, and hit some of the best the 3's have to offer.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

cool, thanks bear.

I'm thinking I probably won't ride all of the 3 sisters. Again, just depends on how comfortable the seat is. The seat got pretty hard on my last trip out to austin.

It's about 3 hours, give or take, just to get to san anton. So, I'll probably only want to ride another 2 hours. Then chill in a small town. Then I'll do a little sight seeing sunday morning for an hour or 2 before hauling ass back to houston. Haven't really done any touring so I'm gonna take it easy this time out.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a good plan! I always stop about every hour or so. There are quite a few places out that way for stopping, both scenic over looks, and eateries & what-not.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Hey bear,

Couldn't go last weekend cause of work but looks like I'll be able to go tomorrow. Are you in town this weekend? Although looks like there's gonna be some passing t-storms tomorrow and sunday....oh well...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yep!! I'm home. Got home last night. Whatcha got in mind??

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, looks like they're calling for 60% chance of T-storms. Dammit. But like today, it rained late night, early morning & was done pretty much by noon, or earlier. Of course, it's a REALLY long ride for you to come all this way & get rained out. It's up to you.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna assume it's just going to be some passing t-storms. I'll either wait it out or suit up the rain gear.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do. Maybe hit san anton by noon and check out the alamo. Then I was thinking of heading out to bandera or somewhere around there. I don't want to hang out in san anton too long...I'd rather relax in a small town. I'll spend the night somewhere in that area and hit part of the sisters on sunday.

Crap...it's already getting late.. I better start getting ready.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Sending you a PM...

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Just got back from my hill country run. It was a short one but very sweet. A big thanks to bear for the tour of the hills.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Jonathan, I'm going to try to post in Spanish as well. I'm using an online translator, so if it appears I'm cussing, or it doesn't make sense, feel free to help me correct the mistakes!!! I have NO idea how good these things are....

Jonathan, yo trataré de anunciar en español también. ¡Utilizo a un traductor en línea, tan si parece despotrico, o no tengo sentido, se siente libre ayudarme corrijo los errores!!! Yo no tengo la menor idea cuán buenas estas cosas son. ...

I had a blast! I really enjoyed meeting you & Monica. It was a good day! I look forward to more.

¡Tuve una explosión! Disfruté realmente de le encontrar & Monica. ¡Hizo un día bueno! Espero más.

Look ma! Siblings!!

¡Mire ma! ¡Los hermanos!!

After a quick introduction, we head for breakfast at the Old Spanish Trail, a very popular place in Bandera....

Después de una introducción rápida, nosotros nos dirigimos al desayuno en el Rastro español Viejo, un lugar muy popular en Bandera. ...

I love the friendly people in Texas, and this morning we met a group of Harley Riders who decided to join us....

Adoro a las personas amistosas en Tejas, y en esta mañana nosotros encontramos un grupo de Jinetes de Harley que decidieron unirnos....

Mmmmm.... Breakfast....

Mmmmm.... Desayuno....

Meet our lovely couple, rumbo75 (Jonathan) and Monica....

Encuentre nuestra pareja linda, rumbo75 (Jonathan) y Monica. ...

Nummy nummy nummy...

In case you can't tell, we hadn't even started our ride & were already having a blast! Today was a lot of fun.

¡En caso de que usted no pueda decir, tuvimos ni comenzamos nuestro paseo & ya tenían una explosión! Hoy fue mucha diversión.

After eating, we suited up & headed west. The weather was nice. The traffic was a little heavier than normal for this part of the world, but not really a problem. We were still able to ride at a nice pace. We only stopped a few times along the way. And of course, dear ol' Bear only remembers the camera half the time at best...

Después de comer, nosotros convinimos arriba & diríjase al oeste. El tiempo fue agradable. El tránsito fue un poco más pesado que normal para esta región, pero no realmente un problema. Nosotros todavía pudimos cabalgar en un ritmo agradable. Nosotros sólo paramos unos tiempos por el camino. Y por supuesto, estimado ol' Oso sólo recuerda la cámara la mitad del tiempo a lo más...

So here a re a few more...

Entonces aquí un acerca de unos pocos más...

Scenic overlook on FM337 between Vanderpool & Leakey...

Escénico deja pasar en FM337 entre Vanderpool & Leakey...

Also on 337, just outside Leakey. Looks SOOO out of place, but very serene...

También en 337, Leakey sólo exterior. Los vistazos tan fuera de lugar, pero muy sereno...

J & M, same spot, different perspective...

J & M, mismo lugar, perspectiva diferente...

All said & done, we did a nice loop of very fun, spirited riding. Maybe next time we could tempt a few more of you guys to join us.....

Todo dijo & hecho, hicimos un lazo agradable de cabalgar muy divertido y animado. El tiempo quizá próximo nosotros podríamos tentar unos pocos más de usted que tipos a unirnos...

Thanks again J & M!!!

¡Gracias otra vez J & M!!!

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Looked like a lot of fun guys, good food, good ride and new friends, thats what life all about so lets enjoy it
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Gotta get down there one day. Looks like you had a blast...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Gotta get down there one day. Looks like you had a blast...

Yes you do! And when you do, gimme a shout, and we'll tear it up....

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks for posting the pics!

We hope to get back out there soon but I really got to do something with the seat. The ride back to houston was torture. Anyway, I'd like to put some more marks on my chicken strips.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

The wife and I on a leisurely ride through hill country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode