2010 MO Moto-Fish Solo - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2010 MO Moto-Fish Solo

Extensive planning, book and map buying, late nights marking routes and a lot of nerve, got me on the road to take the new bike to the limits. Saturday morning, as I strapped what seemed like all but the kitchen sink to the tail end, my elderly neighbor came over to see what I was up to. "Wouldn't it be easier to throw all of that stuff in the truck?", he asked. "Yes it would, but I would lose a bit of the adventure that way." I rolled out late, around noon, heading east for the Missouri state line, with a recurring day dream of catching stream born Smallmouth Bass playing in my mind.

I decided to run US 400 east to Wilson County and break off onto highway 39, to Chanute to catch highway 169 to Iola, where I stopped for a mid-day meal. At Iola, I made the switch to US 54 and ran into Missouri, past Hermitage to highway 65 south to highway 64 east. The last 26 miles on 64 east to Lebanon are far better to be ridden during the daylight hours, as I found myself faced with riding them just after dusk. Through the second bend in the road I spotted three very healthy doe whitetail deer counting cars by the side of the road. When I rolled into Lebanon, I checked in at the Midwest Inn near I-44, where I had called ahead to reserve a room for three nights, and ordered a pizza for dinner.

Sunday morning I made a few phone calls around town to find out if there were any fly shops open. "Reading's Fly Shop", was the only answer I got, from owner Charlie Reading, who advised me that he opens seven days a week. I told him I'd be heading over shortly to check out the shop and talk a while. I found the shop to be much of what Steve told me it would be when we spoke the night before, full of stuff. Charlie designed and built the shop the way he wanted it to be, very creative and diverse from the likes of most fly shops I've been in before. There is a large casting pond in front of the shop where I found myself casting a few rods of Charlie's and two other guys I met there.

After an hour or so of letting the sun get high enough to start warming the waters in the area, it was time to go wet some flies. At the advice of Charlie and Ray, I decided to head over to fish the Niangua River at the Moon Valley Access area. Getting to the river turned out to be a bit of a challenge, teaching me very quickly how to handle my bike on a gravel road. I only nearly dumped the Versys two times, both on a steep descent into the river valley. When I finally made my way to the parking lot, I took a moment to scout the water near the bridge. A multitude of small bait-fish gave me an idea of what flies to use, so I headed back to the bike to rig up and get my waders on. I began fishing a large pool below the bridge, resulting only in a few follows, but no takers.

I made my way to the upstream side of the bridge to fish a nice sweeper bend on the right side that looked like it would hold a few nice fish. It was in this bend that I caught my first Ozark Smallmouth. Though he was not a big fish by any standards, he turned out to be the best fish of the trip, being the only Smallmouth I would catch while there. I was able to turn a Largemouth bass and one Long-ear Sunfish in this stream before I decided to go scout another river.

I took a nice ride back through Lebanon, down Highway 5 to Route HH that beyond three miles, converts from a blacktop to gravel for another mile or so, before reaching the Orla Bridge over the Osage Fork of the Gasconade River. I parked on the side of the bridge to take a look at the river and noticed a sign in the trees upstream. "All land upstream from the bridge, including the ground under the water, is private property. Please do not trespass." I would later learn that this land was owned by a power company owner in the region, and that there are rumors of people being shot and going missing in the area. Thank God for better judgement on my part not to fish anywhere near this area.

Instead of turning around and going back up the way I'd come to the bridge, I decided to continue south, on gravel no less, which I would find met Route V, a blacktop, after only about 1/4 mile of gravel. It was time to go back to town, unload the bike and grab something to eat. After dinner, I turned my cell phone on and saw that I had several voice-mails that needed to be checked. One was from Gary, so I called him back with a fishing/ride report for the day. He suggested I call a guide friend of ours who lives in Missouri to see if he had any ideas of where to get into some decent Smallmouth fishing. When I did, he told me that the Smallmouth fishing had not been so great this year and insisted that I ride to Branson and fish Taneycomo with him on Monday, as in his opinion , the trout fishing was better now than it had been in the past there or four years. After a bit of option weighing, I decided I would make the trek down to see him.

'09 Greener
Ride on. Ride hard. Respect the bike.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by WannaRideVersys; 10-10-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

2010 MO Moto-Fish Solo (Cont)

Monday morning I rolled out of Lebanon on Highway 5 toward the town of Ava, where I stopped for a quick breakfast at McDonald's. From Ava, I jumped Highway 14 west to Ozark. I highly recommend this highway, in that it is in great shape and winds through some very beautiful country. South of Ozark, Highway 65 is a straight shot to Branson, but the ride is is far from boring. There are beautiful mountain bluffs and enough steep grade stretches with enough bends to keep things interesting. Just before reaching Branson, there is an exit for Ozark Mountain High Road. This is another stretch that should not be overlooked on a ride through the Ozarks, although it is a much larger road.

I pulled into River Run Outfitters near the dam at Table Rock to purchase a trout permit that I had not intended on needing for this trip. After a short explanation as to why I was in Missouri without a trout permit and a fish lacking fishing report, they proceeded to key me in on another river near Noel that I should try if and when I get the chance. According to them, this is one of the best rivers for Smallmouth Bass fishing, and having know the owners for some time, I'll take their word for it and maybe explore this river next year. For the time being however, it was time to fish for trout.

I pulled up to the boat ramp and saw that Kent already had the boat launched and was rigging up for the day. As I walked down to get his keys so that I could lock my luggage in the back of his SUV, I ran into Dwan, his wife and son-in-law, from Wichita! They were down to fish on Tuesday with a guide, and after a brief conversation, they were on their way. I grabbed one of my rods and headed back down the boat ramp to get this day off to a start.

Kent had a Sage 9-9 rigged with a small indicator and a #16 Harvester Midge for me to fish. I was quickly convinced that he knew exactly how to catch clients fish in a hurry and in great numbers, however, I found the 9-9 to be a bit stiff and ended up yanking the fly away from most of the fish that ate the fly. We saw a number of huge trout, though none of them were willing to come into the boat for a photo. Overall, it turned out to be a wonderful day on the river, with beautiful weather, and time very well spent with a good friend. Thanks for a great time Kent!

I decided to head out around five in the evening, and with a rookie frame of mind, thought I could make the run home that night. I was disappointingly wrong. Heading out on a northwest planned route, I thought I would run up to Joplin and catch US 400 home. It wasn't long before I found myself stopping, time after time, second guessing my route. After a few compromising changes to the plan, I had made my way to I-44 at Mt. Vernon, east of Joplin, where I'd stop for a bite to eat. Assessing the situation and location while I ate, I decided that this would not be an ideal place to spend the night with the bike parked venerably outside. With Joplin a mere 35 miles down the interstate, I chose to ride on and find a place to crash for the night (no pun intended)- the Riviera Roadsite Motel.

The desk clerk, Kathy, was very nice and had more jokes to tell than I had the energy to listen to, but she was more than friendly in sharing information about their accommodations. She offered me a room near the front, with adequate lighting and a place to chain the bike up. Stepping into my room was a bit similar to walking onto the set of a 1970s horror film, with wood-panels on the walls, though the place was clean and well kept, with a pair of soft beds, all at a wonderful rate to keep with the low budget theme of the trip.

Tuesday morning, instead of heading straight home, I rode south and west of Joplin to check out a couple of should be access points on Shoal Creek. While the creek in this area is very attractive, I did not fish, as I was a little leery of leaving my bike with over half of soft luggage unattended for an extensive period of time. After riding around the area for a while, I went back to Joplin for lunch, then hit the road to head for home around noon. The trip from Joplin was rather uneventful, with the exception of one particular instance that I'll spare the details of, but say that I made it out alive by the grace of God and some quick thinking and maneuvering.

As I crossed US 400 into Kansas, I noticed a BMW Motorcycle parked on the shoulder. Thinking maybe there might have been a problem, I drifted to the side of the road and stopped. It turned out all was well, and Jim from Spokane, WA was just having a phone conversation. Jim asked about my adventure and proceeded to tell me about his trip through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Iowa and Missouri. He was on his way to Phoenix, AZ to park his bike in storage and fly home to Spokane. When I gave him the wandering eyeball, he said that this way he could fly back to Phoenix in the winter to ride wherever his travels would take him on his motorcycle. The topic of fishing came up of course, and he told tales of catching huge salmon back home and that he had property on Clear Creek in Idaho. We exchanged contact information and he extended an open invitation to his place in Idaho if I ever made it up that way.

A few hours later, I rolled into the driveway at home and recalled the events of my four day trip. I couldn't help but think of the beauty of the perfect little Smallmouth that I had caught, in the perfect stretch of an Ozark stream. After all, that was the foundation of this trip to begin with, though it evolved to be much more. I remembered how before I left home on Saturday, I almost changed my mind to taking the boat and a tent to camp on a lake here in the Sunflower. I'm glad I pressed on with the original plan.

'09 Greener

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:53 AM

Sounds like a good trip weather and all! Nice that you took pics and shared with us. Drop a line if you're ever headed north (lincoln NE) maybe we'll catch up.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
What a great trip, riding your bike and going fishing, great pic's buddy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Very nice trip indeed. Trips are always more memorable when taking on a motorcycle.

Thanks for sharing.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like fun! Very relaxing!!!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

2010 Moto-Fish

Thanks to all! Very relaxing indeed (midlife crisis).

Settersonly, I would love to ride into NE sometime- hear there's some good fishing up that way as well.

Have fish? Will travel!

'09 Greener

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode